Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,117 times

Advertisements

Local professor: Collecting care packages for troops is 'shameful' (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/suffolk-univ.-professor-will-not-collect-care-packages-for-troops - broken link)

A Suffolk University law professor will not collect items for United States troops overseas and thinks it is "shameful" to do so.

Law professor Michael Avery sent a five-paragraph e-mail to colleagues in response to a school-wide appeal for care packages for deployed soldiers.

"I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings" wrote Avery.

I have several choice of words to call this man but...

...that was one of the reasons why I joined the Army in the first place: to fight and possibly die for that flag, while defending the rights of my fellow countrymen and women....even if I do not agree with what they have to say.

That is the "beauty" of it all: men and women have died to keep this country free as well as its citizens....and those same citizens turn around and criticize the very same people who have allowed them to do such thing.

Amazing.

Mr. Avery, you are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:11 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
He has a right in this great country to have an opinion and to express it.

I give to a lot of charities, there are some I do not give for personal reasons...

Rich

Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
Quote:
...that was one of the reasons why I joined the Army in the first place: to fight and possibly die for that flag, while defending the rights of my fellow countrymen and women....even if I do not agree with what they have to say.

That is the "beauty" of it all: men and women have died to keep this country free as well as its citizens....and those same citizens turn around and criticize the very same people who have allowed them to do such thing.

Amazing.

Mr. Avery, you are welcome!
Good for you. I am glad you understand our constitution. He has every right to disagree with you and to express that disagreement.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
I do not support many of these organized care package efforts because most times they are not mailed but shipped through contract carriers. Also, many dont know this but not everything collected ends up in the troops hands. Certain times can;t be shiped or are with held due to overloads. (tons of toothpaste being donated to charaties because theres enough to supply every overseas service person for the next 10 years). Not all food product are shipped because they are not properly packaged or not needed. cases of bottle water is a waste to ship because it doesn;t get any further than the contract carrier who send it to the local homeless shelter instead of oveerseas. And we rummage through the goods and pick out what we want and withold it for security or equitable distribution limits. Sending expensive items (yes I;ve seen a carton of portable DVD players once) can be rejected because it can cause problems in distribution (who get it and who didn;t). These items are ulitmately rejected contents and sooner or later it goes home with one of us.

If you want to create care packages, contact your local military unit that is deployed and work with them to get what is really needed in what amounts and have them package it for shipping. Unorganized care packages and collections often end up in the contract carriers hands and become just spoils of war for the employees. (thanks for the kindles)

Just want to add that often times those unsolicited non-organized children made packages get through (minus any restricted items) because they are used for public relations.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,236 times
I think that the majority of professors in our colleges are now, solidly Marxist. They hate the honor and strength of our military. They in fact, have utter contempt for our troops. The Marxist/Communists want the govt. to have total Power, and our Constitution gives the military power to even handcuff all Marxists and Communists that get into elected offices, etc.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,872 times
Although I disagree with the Good Professor he is entitled to This opinion and Thankfully not Amearicas HEART or MONIES.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,466 times
WOW, that opened my eyes...

Not the Professor, because my Son went to College and I know you have 'nitwits' who teach our kids how to Hate America!!! Its how they, the enemy of freedoms, use our Constitution against us, but, the Government knows where they are, so that is good

I didnt know that the packages that we send over is pilfered so much by you guys. And the thing is, you have no guilt, what so ever!! Ive donated quite a few times to those charities that sent things overseas and now I know, never to do it again. Thanks for opening up my eyes to that.
Dam Thieves, sheesh.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-14-2011, 04:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I think that the majority of professors in our colleges are now, solidly Marxist. They hate the honor and strength of our military. They in fact, have utter contempt for our troops. The Marxist/Communists want the govt. to have total Power, and our Constitution gives the military power to even handcuff all Marxists and Communists that get into elected offices, etc.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
I didnt know that the packages that we send over is pilfered so much by you guys. And the thing is, you have no guilt, what so ever!! Ive donated quite a few times to those charities that sent things overseas and now I know, never to do it again. Thanks for opening up my eyes to that.
Dam Thieves, sheesh.
Guilt? What Guilt? That's MY JOB!
The US is no longer in the welfare contract business. Where is the guilt that billions were spent on contract jobs that were never performed? Where's the guilt that millions are wasted on no-show poliical jobs of years gone by in Iraq?

Do you know how many millions of dollars of military equipment is being stolen every day (and I mean guns, amon, explosives, protective gear, helmets, medicine and such right in the US by MILITAEY supply people for their own profits? Why do you think they are contracting more out to these companies? Our lost rate for US militray shipments in terms of weight, dollars and numbers for 2005 to present is ZERO. Yep ZERO lost of vital military equipment needed by those fighting. yet you read about tons and millions of $ in military equipment that the military itself can't track or account for. Guilt, you want guuilt, look within the service at those who will jepordise the life of their fellow service member for their own profit.

So we're told to withold shipments of electronic equipment such as Kindles, Ipods and vibrators.

My job is to go through these unsolicited and non miltray sponsored care packages and remove the garbage that people send. The militray isn;t going to spend hundreds of thousands shipping stuff that their warehouses are already overloaded with. No fighting troop needs quilted beadspreads with a Texas flag on it. We have enough toothpaste to reach Pluto. Who in their right mind would send frozen hotdogs and hamburgers? Electronic equipment is highly controlled because first how do you decide who gets it and what are they going to do with in on a combat mission? Even the women GI's don;t want bath robes in bright colors. Perfume and after shave is a waste to send. These are just some of the stuff being shipped. And if we shipped those items we can be fined for it (although we just charge the DOD contract as a cost change plus 25% administrative fee).

The sad reality is people are so stupid that they don;t take the time to think and find out what is really needed, they just get those feel good momnets and start clogging the system with junk. Now, if it makes you feel better, we have the right to confiscate the goods but we usually donate the usable items to homeless shelters, battered women sheleters, veteran's homes,a nd services for veterans.

Don;t try and make american stupidity and your own need to feel good cloud the better judgement that some of us are tasked with the job of saving taxpayers money by weeding out the ridiculus stuff people send to make themself feel good and has no value to the fighting men and women. If it makes you feel all high and mighty and you want that soapbox to stand on, I;ll be happy to divert all restrcted but usable items to a ebay seller and gve you the platfiorm you so despertately need (all the while never saying boo about the real threat of theft and pilfering from within the military itself)

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,220 times
I don't know if share the professor's views, but I do share a lot of skepticism toward our overseas policies in Iraq, and I am not always one to wave flags, American lapels, or put yellow ribbon stickers on my car.

But having said that, I think the professor's being a jackass. If he doesn't want to support care packages, that's fine - he doesn't have to. And he can express his opinion on the subject, but to make a big deal production about it is being an a-hole. I'm pretty sure there are students there who are also military, and I'm sure that even some of the staff and faculty have military members in their family. I doubt they share the professor's view that they're over there just to go out and shoot people up for sh*ts and giggles. He should show some respect on a personal level, even if he doesn't respect the war effort (which is his prerogative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues