Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM

106 posts, read 323,872 times

Advertisements

I hear that JenM, I grew up in Michigan and have been here all my life. I have four kids and my first concern is their safety and well being. By moving to MO, we would have stayed in Michigan if we both had jobs, we are giving our children the best life that we can. I don't consider leaving the state the same as abandoning a family member. I consider it looking out and taking care of my family. I, too, love Michigan but when it comes to the state or my family, I pick my family. Hubby and I have no pensions to look forward to. We lost everything the day of our accident. I can't even get medicaid because they say we make too much. We make just enough to get by. So by us moving to an area that is less expensive, safe, beautiful just made sense to us. There are hard times every where but you have to be responsible and take care of you and your family. That is what we are doing. I hope that it doesn't come to you all living in your car. Hope all turns out well for you and your family.
God Bless,
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kim View Post
Magellen, what is the discount that they give to employees?

Thanks for the laugh. The one by us is hiring if you're looking though.

Sorry about the off-topic bit, but I don't feel it necessary to help someone move to another State in the MICHIGAN section of this forum.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:40 AM

111 posts, read 485,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchzer0 View Post
Hi, I'm a Journeyman Electrician here in MI and I can't seem to find any work. I have a lot of other friends in the trades that are having the same problem. And I've noticed a lot of people moving out of dodge before this economy gets any worse. Don't get me wrong, I love MI, was born and raised, but I can't stand the struggles anymore. My question is where are you all going? Tell me your story to help me write mine. Where you moved to or are planning to move. What you do for a living. Whats the job/housing outlook where your going? Cost of living etc. Thanks for your help in finding my family a better life. Any information is helpful.
Everyones leaving!?!?!? Please stop painting with a broad brush.. Nobody is leaving except people that would have found an excuse to leave anyway.

Michigan Turnaround is already upon us, apparently you haven't noticed, but I have! Homes are selling like hotcakes around here now.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,958 times
Everyone's leaving? But I just got here less than a year ago!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Everyone's leaving? But I just got here less than a year ago!
Me too, now I'm all confused. If everyone's leaving, how can I be arriving? I must be a liar and/or deceiver.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,248 times
Hubby and I are working on moving to Orange County, CA. We have plenty of equity and cash, so not a problem with finding a nice house out there We are very excited to have a nice change of pace after living in MI all of our lives...We don't plan on having kids ever, so we'll be able to travel and be of service to others more We'll do better financially in both of our industries out there And, well, there's the ocean...and surfing...and the sun

I'll miss Detroit...hee hee! Not really...sorry, bad humor...

Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Hubby and I are working on moving to Orange County, CA. We have plenty of equity and cash, so not a problem with finding a nice house out there We are very excited to have a nice change of pace after living in MI all of our lives...We don't plan on having kids ever, so we'll be able to travel and be of service to others more We'll do better financially in both of our industries out there And, well, there's the ocean...and surfing...and the sun

I'll miss Detroit...hee hee! Not really...sorry, bad humor...
Don't be sorry-I just left California! I lived just inland from O.C., and although I will always love California for all it's charm, you can have it! (And you will happily take it, I'm sure )

You guys will definately have fun there. No kids means you will have disposible income, which you definately need in CA. My wife and I have 3 kids, and our families ended up all moving to MI, so for us the move here was a no brainer. We absolutely love it, and find this state to be MUCH more family and kid friendly than CA. Not to mention cheaper!

All that being said, good luck in CA. If you need any help or pointers, please feel free to PM me anytime.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:54 PM

800 posts, read 4,299,248 times
Quote:
Don't be sorry-I just left California! I lived just inland from O.C., and although I will always love California for all it's charm, you can have it! (And you will happily take it, I'm sure )

You guys will definately have fun there. No kids means you will have disposible income, which you definately need in CA. My wife and I have 3 kids, and our families ended up all moving to MI, so for us the move here was a no brainer. We absolutely love it, and find this state to be MUCH more family and kid friendly than CA. Not to mention cheaper!

All that being said, good luck in CA. If you need any help or pointers, please feel free to PM me anytime.
What a small world, huh?

Thanks and hugs for the offer

Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,454,302 times
As a resident of San Francisco before moving to MI, I say - enjoy the experience. I think it's always a beneficial thing for people to leave what they know, see the world, and get some perspective. We hopped all around including the East and West Coasts before realizing that our childhood stomping grounds, the Midwest, was where we wanted to be at this point in our lives.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM

We are of the same brain, Cato. I hate to always agree with you but I can't help it-great minds think alike. LOL

I wish EVERYONE had the opportunity to move around. You develop much more of a world view, and realize that wherever you are from isnt the entire world. There is a whole globe full of interesting cultures and people to soak up information about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan