Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 24,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
You are a master of sarcasm, aren't you??
Since you don't seem to have any problem with the crime and demographics of Saginaw, and you imply that white flight is to blame for Saginaw's problems, here's an idea....
Leave Saginaw township and move right smack into the middle of east Saginaw. Be a trend setter. Do your part to start reversing white flight in the area. It all starts with one person.
Then, please come back to this forum in a year or so and tell us how it's going.
Come on, oh tolerant one, just do it. Talk is cheap.
That is actually what I plan on doing, so I'm glad you think it's a good idea, too. As arrogant of a plan as it is, it's something that I wish more people would start doing. But really when people want to move into the city they want to move into Old Town, which is nice, but then they say that's the "ghetto." And I know talk IS cheap, and it makes me sick when you see all these politicians talk about the east side but why don't they go over there and live? I know there are a select few and there's a few people that are really trying to do good on the East side. It's crazy because I was going down Fitzhugh and it's like, abandoned house, burnt down house, empty lot, boarded up house, then at about 14th it looked really really nice. And I'm not saying that the East side is HEAVEN. Of course it isn't. I've had a gun pointed at me and I hear gunshots every weekend when I'm home. However, my post was a response to all these people who are making these terribly bland and general statements that do not hold up such as saying that the mall is not safe to walk in. And I read all over in all the Michigan forums where people say the cities are "getting bad" which means black people are moving in. Look at the secretary of state office closing, you know nobody from the township would go all the way into Bridgeport and they would justify it by saying it's UNSAFE!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood View Post
That is actually what I plan on doing, so I'm glad you think it's a good idea, too. As arrogant of a plan as it is, it's something that I wish more people would start doing. But really when people want to move into the city they want to move into Old Town, which is nice, but then they say that's the "ghetto." And I know talk IS cheap, and it makes me sick when you see all these politicians talk about the east side but why don't they go over there and live? I know there are a select few and there's a few people that are really trying to do good on the East side. It's crazy because I was going down Fitzhugh and it's like, abandoned house, burnt down house, empty lot, boarded up house, then at about 14th it looked really really nice. And I'm not saying that the East side is HEAVEN. Of course it isn't. I've had a gun pointed at me and I hear gunshots every weekend when I'm home. However, my post was a response to all these people who are making these terribly bland and general statements that do not hold up such as saying that the mall is not safe to walk in. And I read all over in all the Michigan forums where people say the cities are "getting bad" which means black people are moving in. Look at the secretary of state office closing, you know nobody from the township would go all the way into Bridgeport and they would justify it by saying it's UNSAFE!!!!!!
Good points! The whole city has declined a lot though from what I understand, -with even the west side being hardly prosperous, and having some serious growing pains. But it dose get tiring hearing people who seem to think all black neighborhoods are bad, and white neighborhoods are always "good" (whatever that means).

On average there are large racial differences in neigborhood quality, but also great diversity in neighborhood quality for all groups. I have seen plenty of less desirable majority white neighborhoods with serious problems, but people often will deny that, and the media tends not to focus on them nor on lower income whites (most of whom are NOT rural.) in general. I have also been in some fine mostly black neighborhoods.

The racial disparities in neighborhood quality have largely to do with disparities in socioeconomic status between blacks vs. whites vs. other groups, combined with racial/ethnic segregation so it affects blacks of all incomes negatively to varying degrees, not just poor blacks.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 24,627 times
Thank you. That's the big problem is that people see the segregation, and when they want to explain why the neighborhoods on the East Side look bad, it's not because the resources that they have, the education, or the racism that people bleed in Saginaw, it's because they're black. That's what people will say. "Why don't black people take care of their yards? They could at least mow their grass when it gets this high!" This is what they say. "Why can't they take care of their kids?" It's never because of anything but race. So when they see a black family move into the neighborhood, they see their neighborhood as declining. I've seen it in my neighborhood and I'm sure some of you have too.

And how come nobody cared about when the players from the Saginaw Spirit were accused of statutory rape? I mean people cared, but could you imagine if they were, maybe Saginaw High basketball players? As much as I KIND OF like WNEM because of the personalities (actually me and my dad kind of just watch it for entertainment), they really are pretty biased in their reporting. And have you ever noticed that they always send Randy Wimbley out to the stories where someone got shot on the North Side or any of the dangerous stories?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:01 PM

46 posts, read 173,850 times
I lived in Midland from the time I was a 3rd grader until I left for college. We are actually considering moving back from suburban Chicago to Midland or GR area . It was a very safe place to grow up with a lot for kids to do. There is a great library, Center for The Arts, pools, community center and parks galore. The schools were excellent.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,292 times
Hi AutoGuy!
I ran across this forum and coming from a person who has been looking for advice on another state, I thought I would help you with your saginaw question. I have lived in Saginaw my whole life. I understand you got a job here which is great! But if you can help it, I really would suggest you take the other comments on here seriously and make the commute to Saginaw from Bay City or Midland its only about 30-40 minutes. I am 22 years old and I am in my last year at SVSU. I also go to Bay City alot! So I know both places pretty well. Midland is a great area. BUT....Bay City has many choices of nightlife such as bars/clubs (of all kinds), bowling, and food joints all in one area....actually all on one road..haha Midland Road! That is what is great about the tri cities is that you can live in one city and the drive to the other isnt that bad. It is tough with gas prices the way they are...but Saginaw is just not a safe place to live anymore. If you live in Bay City or Midland..at least you would have a safe place to call home and socialize. I am a 22 year old female and I do not like to go to the Saginaw mall alone. I think that is pretty sad! If you are set on living in Saginaw....you might want to check out some of the smaller neighborhoods/Apartment Complexes around Tittabawassee and Bay Road. Good Luck with you search!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM

106 posts, read 414,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
The racial disparities in neighborhood quality have largely to do with disparities in socioeconomic status between blacks vs. whites vs. other groups, combined with racial/ethnic segregation so it affects blacks of all incomes negatively to varying degrees, not just poor blacks.
Hmm, well even if that is true, blacks lag way behind whites in socioeconomic status. Thus, race would serve as an excellent proxy for crime rates, wouldn't you think?

Take a look at the crime stats available on this very site. Cities with majority black populations invariably have much higher crime that cities with majority white populations. So then, is it unusual that whites wouldn't want to live in majority black areas? Sounds pretty rational to me.

If white flight came down to irrational racism, then whites should also flee when Asians move into their neighborhoods. That's not the case as all, though. The reason? Asians commit even fewer crimes than whites, and they do better in school on average. There's no reason to flee.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 19,837 times
I'm thinking of Midland as a retirement place with family near by. I haven't been able to find anything yet on gas/electric costs and general cost of living. Any other thoughts and observations on the Midland area would be helpful. I do know that most of the Drs. I will need will be in Bay City. I shall assume from what I read it's a "safe" area to go to? Thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maven View Post
I'm thinking of Midland as a retirement place with family near by. I haven't been able to find anything yet on gas/electric costs and general cost of living. Any other thoughts and observations on the Midland area would be helpful. I do know that most of the Drs. I will need will be in Bay City. I shall assume from what I read it's a "safe" area to go to? Thanks!
You will like Midland. I live 35 miles north but, do most of my shopping in Midland.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 19,837 times
Default thanks driller

Can you give me an idea about property taxes and gas/electric rates?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Midland County, Michigan - Welcome

This is the county site, you can get to the city site though this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan