Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:08 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,913,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesy View Post
The place on 131 just south of Petoskey your talking about is owned by Steve Hardesty, He has gone bust with two of granite companies in the past and even gone bust with a 7-11 . I have heard he likes 50% money upfront but then there are lots of problems, late deliveries, mis measures poor workmanship the list is endless and if I were you I would use someone else
Interesting, you must be a relative or close "friend" of Hardesty. A quick look at your nickname, and the number of posts you made... it seems you either got incredibly lucky scanning the boards and noticed this post, or you look for it.

At any rate, I think I would steer clear of this business. anyone who pisses off a close associate or family is probably not going to be the best to do business with complete strangers. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM

809 posts, read 1,951,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Interesting, you must be a relative or close "friend" of Hardesty. A quick look at your nickname, and the number of posts you made... it seems you either got incredibly lucky scanning the boards and noticed this post, or you look for it.

At any rate, I think I would steer clear of this business. anyone who pisses off a close associate or family is probably not going to be the best to do business with complete strangers. JMO.
The mysteries of the internet

I go by the place quite often but really cant say what's up.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,853 times
Stainless doesn't get any dirtier, just shows it more. I like a clean kitchen!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,914 times
The best way to buy it by youself, online buying is certainly not good.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 PM

528 posts, read 886,306 times
Don't, at least not without a geiger counter present:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...1&pagewanted=2

FWIW, I disagree with a lot of the article. We don't really have effective models for radiation exposure, though there are attempts to quantify dose and exposure (sieverts). When they speak of background radiation, that doesn't take into consideration that granite can emit multiple different radioactive byproducts and thus exposures, standing near it, dust, radon, leaching into foods, etc.

Further complicating the picture is the idea of dose vs. exposure. Certain body parts are more or less susceptible to radiation exposure. A foot and a thyroid for instance will have dramatically different responses to the same very small level of exposure.

I've heard too many horror stories lately, and the Solid Surface Alliance has been in denial mode. I would never buy granite online, from any big-box store, or anyone but a very high priced local purveyor with an excellent reputation, and only then after sitting down and asking some very pointed, very open-ended questions about radiation. Any dithering at all about the dangers, and I would walk. The only way I would buy any mined solid surface would be if the seller was completely educated on the risks (more than the NYT article was) and had a testing program in place, and would test the product again with a calibrated digital counter (logs available with dates of calibration) with me present. Keep in mind, you WILL get background radiation. Geiger counters are not silent under general conditions. Your body emits a significant amount of radiation just in potassium decay, but you don't want a sudden sharp uptick in clickety click click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan