Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM

22 posts, read 67,656 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating and, based on posts I've read on this forum, Battle Creek may not be the ideal place to buy a home. So, I've searched MLS listings a bit for homes in Portage, Marshall and Richland. Which of these is most recommended (safe, good schools in case I need to sell one day and close to shopping) and what would the commute to Battle Creek be like? I'm really concerned about safety because my older mother will be moving with me. I read there have been several shootings in Battle Creek; is that true and what about these cities I've listed?

Also, and PLEASE let me know this: Is there a lot of snow to drive thru during winter months? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Marshall is a nice little place, close to BC and a decent commute (I did it several years ago). I lived in Marshall and worked on the West side of Battle Creek, wasn't a bad commute at all. I take it the transfer to the Austin area fell through in the last couple of days? Or are you just winding things up in the MI forum based on your preconceived ideas? All cities the size of Battle Creek has crime and a shooting once in a while. Doesn't happen on a regular basis, and if they do happen, it is usually a couple of scum-bags who know each other and their drug deal went bad.

Snow is very little in the Battle Creek area usually. Some years there is a decent amount, other years hardly any. I drove a Camero when I lived down there and didn't have a bit of a problem, and those cars SUCK in the snow.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM

22 posts, read 67,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Marshall is a nice little place, close to BC and a decent commute (I did it several years ago). I lived in Marshall and worked on the West side of Battle Creek, wasn't a bad commute at all. I take it the transfer to the Austin area fell through in the last couple of days? Or are you just winding things up in the MI forum based on your preconceived ideas? All cities the size of Battle Creek has crime and a shooting once in a while. Doesn't happen on a regular basis, and if they do happen, it is usually a couple of scum-bags who know each other and their drug deal went bad.

Snow is very little in the Battle Creek area usually. Some years there is a decent amount, other years hardly any. I drove a Camero when I lived down there and didn't have a bit of a problem, and those cars SUCK in the snow.

Thanks for all of the info. Actually, I may have an option b/w MI and TX, so I'm trying to collect data about both to inform a decision I may need to make in the near future. I'm glad to hear the snow is terrible, too. Do you know anything about either Portage or Richland?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM

89 posts, read 336,848 times
I live near Richland and it would be an easy commute to BC and close to Kalamazoo for more things to do. There are a lot of nice places to live in the rural area around Gull Lake between BC and Richland also. Richland is in the Gull Lake School District. I toured the new High School a couple of years ago and it is NICE. You'll love the area in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. That area isn't in the Lake Michigan snow belt so it doesn't get hit with much lake effect snow. But our winters have a lot of gray sky days which can get you down sometimes.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsquirter View Post
I live near Richland and it would be an easy commute to BC and close to Kalamazoo for more things to do. There are a lot of nice places to live in the rural area around Gull Lake between BC and Richland also. Richland is in the Gull Lake School District. I toured the new High School a couple of years ago and it is NICE. You'll love the area in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. That area isn't in the Lake Michigan snow belt so it doesn't get hit with much lake effect snow. But our winters have a lot of gray sky days which can get you down sometimes.
Agree all the way! I had some friends who lived in Richland for a time and I really liked that place. Used to go up to a small Sport Store that specialized in Bows the entire time I lived down there. It was on the North side of Richland if I remember right. Gull Lake is a very nice area, kind of spendy for housing in areas, but very nice.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM

266 posts, read 852,827 times
I lived in Marshall for a few years, and while I didn't have the friendliest neighbors, it is VERY safe and the schools are excellent. I loved the amazing great big historic homes, it's very scenic! Lots of character! It only took me 10 minutes to get to work in downtown Battle Creek, even in snow. The shopping was pretty dismal though - we used to go to Battle Creek to shop and even that wasn't huge. Though Battle Creek has the best market ever (Horrock's) if you like produce and cheese, I still miss that place!

Portage is a nice town, closer to shopping and fun in Kalamazoo or even Grand Rapids if you're willing to make the drive. It's further from Battle Creek for sure, I'd say plan on about a 30 min commute which isn't too terrible. Portage does get more snow though! The closer you get to Lake Michigan, the more snow you'll get.

I haven't been to Richland so I can't comment on that one, sounds like some of our other forum members have that covered though :-)

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
It only takes me 20 minutes to get from Portage to Battle Creek. If you live on the north side of Portage and work near I-94, it wouldn't be a bad commute at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM

103 posts, read 344,558 times
Portage and Richland and Kalamazoo are all great. Love the Gull Lake area. 20-30 minute commute tops, but it's all major highway, so no worries.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 PM

150 posts, read 405,388 times
When I lived in Michigan, I worked in Battle Creek at the local TV station in the Fort. I lived in Athens (on my farm). It took me about 20 min. to drive from just off 60 to the Fort. There are other small towns there too. Burlington is a great little town and so is Union City. If you want to be in a very historic town, Tekonsha is also nice.

Susie in MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan