Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:24 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Gotta go to Hamtramack for the real deal!
I agree. Since I've moved to Detroit, I've been making almost-daily trips up there just for the Paczkis.

Polish much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
I discovered that if I jaust say "Those Polish doughnut things that are only available in March." I have no problem with pronouciation

I also learned that if you do nto find authentic ones, then you get just kind of dense hard doughnuts that taste awful (like at Kroger). Real ones are quite good though.

Our local Bakery, run by an oriental family, sells them. People order them weeks in advance, so we never got any of theirs to try. What do you call a Korean (or chinese?) made Polish Doughnut thing?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What do you call a Korean (or chinese?) made Polish Doughnut thing?
Fauxzki's

Actually find a real Polish owned and run bakery and have one. Better yet, find someone with a Polish Grandmother and have one of those.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM

528 posts, read 885,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Roll it off kind of quick like "Punch-Key" and they'll know what you are talking about. Roger-MI has the odd sounding "u" shown better. I hate to admit it, but the Wesco's actually have passable Paczki, might want to stop in and order a few so you know you'll get some, they go fast.

Rich, oh so rich they make your teeth hurt from the fat and sugar. Pretty sure you can watch your arteries clog with cholesterol as well, but I've always been too afraid to look after eating one, or two..., or maybe three .
Ah, thank you both (and anyone below who who shone the bright light of enlightenment on the dark corners of my brain).

Yuuuummmmmm.... Lee bought some Paczki boxed stuff at the store. It was meh.... I'm particular about my fried stuff. Pre-packaged stuff they use the oil too long. Might have to make homemade for Paczki day.

Sound yum....

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

528 posts, read 885,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I discovered that if I jaust say "Those Polish doughnut things that are only available in March." I have no problem with pronouciation

I also learned that if you do nto find authentic ones, then you get just kind of dense hard doughnuts that taste awful (like at Kroger). Real ones are quite good though.

Our local Bakery, run by an oriental family, sells them. People order them weeks in advance, so we never got any of theirs to try. What do you call a Korean (or chinese?) made Polish Doughnut thing?
Ah, ColdJensens, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

No idea about the Asian Polish Donut, but it might be something along the lines of the Asian Jewish Deli we loved in Dallas, TX.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Ive never had one, but how can they really be much different from a donut???? Im not catholic, not Polish and never been to Hamtramack so I guess Im just not in the know with this topic.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:06 AM

They are made with more eggs and fat than regular donuts. So the good ones have a richer taste than normal donuts.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
They are made with more eggs and fat than regular donuts. So the good ones have a richer taste than normal donuts.

Hmm I can hear arteries closing now. I guess I should try one this year, Ive always wondered what the whoplaa was all about.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Hmm I can hear arteries closing now. I guess I should try one this year, Ive always wondered what the whoplaa was all about.
I still say every box of 1/2 dozen should have a local Cardiologist's business card enclosed.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
Default Just thought I'd add...

Quote:
Wesco stations have a ton of Paczki's today. Including prune. They actually are pretty good considering how many they make for today. I am not sure where they get them from, but I always get a few. A lot richer than their usual Bismarks, so they must be making them semi-close to the real deal.
Hey all, I am the social network administrator for Wesco Inc. and just thought I would pass this on. We have a dozen or so locations that have bakeries right inside the store... for the other 80% of our stores they either get daily deliveries from one of those in-store bakeries or our large scale bakery in muskegon. The main thing is our bakery products (including Paczki) are always fresh and made from the best ingredients... We actualy halt production of all other baked goods for the day before Fat Tuesday to dedicate our focus on these great once a year treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan