Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 47,583 times

Advertisements

Anyone considering moving to Michigan, just listen the news. There is not a week that goes by that a friend or relative of ours is being laid off or their shop is closing, or there benefits have been slashed.
Our family and friends are all in Michigan but it is so depressing to see our friends work so hard to have it just ripped out from under them and watching as they search from some lousy job that 50 other people are trying for.
So my husband is going to fly out to Tucson and check on a job position in an auto body shop. Hopefully it isnt too diversified for us if that word works not sure. I just dont like feeling like I am visiting another country.
So to get to my point Michigan is going down and going down quickly even the small towns are seeing more crime because people are DESPERATE they have been abandonded by both the government and big industry. Think long and hard before you set yourself up for the struggle. Also housing is awful, the best market is all the foreclosures, so basically you are profiting from someone elses pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:23 PM

133 posts, read 357,505 times
If you don't find much in tucson,vegas has a few auto body shops,always need good workers out here.About every other day i have people from various trades from Michigan out here to go to work,the only good thing about that is i don't fell all by myself now,was for a long time,now i have a few lion and wolverine fans to BS with.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 PM

98 posts, read 297,778 times
we relocated from pontiac (the good area) to phox metro and it was the best move. i do not miss the ice storms and snow...we have 3-4 months of HOT weather in which i can still go outside as long as i have water rather than 6-9 months of COLD weather in michigan that makes you have to use salt, shovel, thaw your car hours before driving, etc. the only thing i miss about michigan are the wetlands and lakes, but i can get that if i simply drive about 1-2 hours any way from phx.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 22,900 times
We have lived in Green Valley AZ about 30 miles South of Tucson. Stayed for 4 years and moved to Las Cruces NM because of all the old folks living in that small town. It is an over 55 community. Elevation is about 3500 ft. Tucson is at about 3000 feet. There are no express ways or freeways except Highway 10 which runs around the city. We did not like the hellish heat. 5 months of over 100 degrees heat, during the night the heat comes out of the asphalt and concrete. Almost the same as in Phoenix.
Large hispanic polpulation. Jobs are easier if you have an Hispanic sur name. Very little shade to find. No greenery. Desert, desert,desert. Lots of dust. Lots of snow birds. Low wages unless you are a profesional. Large AFB and many illigals. Desert means, coyote's rattle snakes and other wild critters. If you like the heat, go for it. Need good dental work, do it in Nogales on the border and save lots of money. Excellent dentist work, probably 70 % less than in the US. Good luck with your move.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:52 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Tucson is far more miserable than anywhere in Michigan.

First the heat, I find it barely acceptable at this point in the year. Six months of intolerable heat vs. 3-4 months of cold. At least you can do stuff outside during the cold months if you put on a coat, here the sun will burn you at 7:00 AM

Yes there is hiking and some stuff to do, on the extreme edge of town, you eed to drive 20-30 miles to get there.

Snowbirds that can't drive.

Jobs that pay poorly

Housing costs that are through the roof

Lousy drinking water

Unfriendly people because they're all afraid you're gonna commit some crime or try to sell them something.

Schooling has no value or importance

There are no trees or shade

If I owned hell and Arizona, I'd live in hell and rent out Arizona, thats how much I hate it.

Unless you have a great job lined up you're gonna have very little money here because housing and rent is overinflated. I'd rather be broke in MI than broke here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan