Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 PM

51 posts, read 78,477 times

Advertisements

I am wondering just how many others are seeing this, Many out of work that have a job skill or trade and yet because there are too many with these skills and lack of work we are on a very slow recovery to get more back to work? And the jobs that are posted are seeming a lot lower in pay than what we had been making prior to the poor economy. Do you have friends or family looking and how long do you think it is going to be before things start getting better?

The Unions are hard hit with many out of work as well as the rest of us and seems that the future is not looking good for many and many have homes they can't sell and so we are stuck in Michigan unless we walk away from our homes and seems that it is tough when you thought you were getting a part of the "American Dream" this poor economy just took that all but away...

Seems nobody is really talking about this but you run into it when you are looking for a job...

Just wondering if others see anything good coming??? I can't see anything and the few green jobs are few and far between and getting any kind of training is all but impossible for any good job that will get a good paying job here in Michigan...

Newaygo1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,721,092 times
The American dream has been crumbling for a long time. The Internet bubble and the housing bubble masked what was really happening. The mask is now off. Unless you think the next bubble is some kind of green shoots thing -- this is how it's going to be for a long time..

There's a shortage of jobs. You can say employers are taking advantage of the situation or simply paying the new market wage but bottomline is that wages are going down because of the recession.

There are PHD's out there who can't find jobs. In IT (my field), there are people out there with 10-20 yrs experience, BS degrees, and industry certifications who cannot find jobs. At the same time, I read almost weekly from the pop media that IT is booming and people are making 85K starting out of college. Business can't find enough people for the jobs so we have to import foreign labor for these jobs. It's all BS. It's a way of getting the labor pool expanded to reduce existing wages and to get 3rd world labor who will work for 3rd world wages. Most new grads in this field cannot find work. There's a glut of workers and a lot of unemployed and the government continues to pump in foreign labor to replace working Americans. I don't know what skills the unemployed are getting retrained in but if it's anything IT -- you'll be laughed at by most employers since there's a labor pool with 10-20 yrs experience and advanced degrees that are out of work. The opportunities out there are now for those named Sadeep, Haji, Rajiv, Mozahm, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newaygo1 View Post
I am wondering just how many others are seeing this, Many out of work that have a job skill or trade and yet because there are too many with these skills and lack of work we are on a very slow recovery to get more back to work? And the jobs that are posted are seeming a lot lower in pay than what we had been making prior to the poor economy. Do you have friends or family looking and how long do you think it is going to be before things start getting better?

The Unions are hard hit with many out of work as well as the rest of us and seems that the future is not looking good for many and many have homes they can't sell and so we are stuck in Michigan unless we walk away from our homes and seems that it is tough when you thought you were getting a part of the "American Dream" this poor economy just took that all but away...

Seems nobody is really talking about this but you run into it when you are looking for a job...

Just wondering if others see anything good coming??? I can't see anything and the few green jobs are few and far between and getting any kind of training is all but impossible for any good job that will get a good paying job here in Michigan...

Newaygo1

Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 PM

25 posts, read 51,136 times
The media does not talk about it,but rather broadcast lies.Imho TV has become worthless.People will do the same.The pocket decides which type of language.I think the unemployment in Michigan is 40% without any slight of doubt.Gotta commend your post sparrow.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:25 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:

Newaygo1

I agree that things are bad nationwide and, especially, in states like Michigan. The whole green Economy thing is a joke. It was just revealed that much of the whole climate change movement is a hoax to begin with. Spain is a leader in 'green jobs' with a UE rate near 20%!

Look at the tax policies that are under consideration in DC: repealing Bush tax cuts, Healthcare tax increases, payroll tax increases, a war tax, potential Value Added Tax, Cap and Trade....

It's actually quite scary. Not to mention the massive deficits, debt and unfunded entitlement liabilities. The scariest possibility is a currency collapse, which many knowledgeable people (Peter Schiff, Marc Faber, Gerald Celente, etc.) are predicting.

I don't see things improving significantly in Michigan anytime soon. It's probably not going to get much better nationwide either. It would be nice to elect people in DC who are not radical leftists but, even then, there are serious structural problems (debt, liabilities, etc.) that it is hard to make the necessary improvements. Plus, the Government has grown so big and provided so much, that it is hard to cut back at this stage.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Quote:

Newaygo1
At some point the media has to protect their ratings, and the best way to do that is to make the world seem like a warm and bubbly place, all while they carefully dance around reality due to the fact most stores include hardship of some sort. Of course, they will give brief headlines from the latest U of M economic outlook, but will they go into detail and tell us that Michiagn is predicted to have the lowest job growth rate in the US for the next 10 years? Or that 70% of the jobs that left Michigan during this recession and the last 10 years will not return? Reality is dependent on whom you talk to, of course if someone is doing well then their world is o.k., but the majority have a different reality.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

Newaygo1
As long as we keep electing politicians who care more about the cheap labor for the corporations who pay for them and give them money to be elected, as long as someone somewhere in the world is willing to do the job for a whole lot less money, the job will go to them.

Not only are jobs being sent out of the country, as long as someone somewhere would come here and work for cheaper, the political leaders will keep immigration rates way up there.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM

25 posts, read 51,136 times
The housing is a ponzi scheme newwaygo.I intend to squat for a year and then destroy the house.There is far too many vacant properties to squat on.Just get in and settle.With the way things are and will be going it is not an outlandish thing to do.Btw it is not this forum`s fault as really, nobody is discussing anything over the internet these days which is very absurd.Do a googling and you will come with very few answers.I think the american public is hooked on dancing with the crooked and some such.The situation is devastating and far too horrible.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:00 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
Quote:

Newaygo1
i was just talking to a friend of mine about something similar,the thing that needs to be taken into account,is if and when that time arises that skilled trades are needed,i.e.,ironworkers,carpenters,electricians,an d so on,where are we going to get them from?the trades have taken a dramatic drop in the past few years,and ones we do get...well we get.i know a few people on here are non-union,and they have that right,for me personally,i couldn't work next to some non-union ironworker,training for our trade is of the utmost importance,so with that said,i believe it will rebound,but the lack of properly trained workers may cause a delay also,food for thought

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

51 posts, read 78,477 times
I am not for or against Unions just what I have seen makes you wonder, like the IBEW here in Detroit, they have gone to the point that many are not employed for maybe 6 months or the whole year, they are on sub and unemployment the other half so you can't make enough to do much of anything. It is more of a contract job like the movie companies yo work for a short time then get done with the project then you start all over looking for another job. The issue is that Movies you can make big money for that contract work where as for the unions though you do make good money if you only work 6 months of the year that means you have to be concerned with the rest and cover you health insurance out of pocket or take a short call and take them to keep in good standing to keep your insurance going without any out of pocket costs to the person. There are many on the book about 2K electrician and about 200 limited energy and the talk is from those off that it won't be maybe 2 years till it gets back going and things are looking up. So many are doing other work on the side to make ends meet... As for the green jobs, the way they all talk it was going to be the job of the future but most are jobs just need some specialize training that the unions are giving their membership but again there is not enough work for all that are going that route and convert the electrical side back to the power companies require electricians to do that work. As for other jobs related there is not enough to make much difference as to the number out of work and looking for anything. For many their home is what is holding them here in Michigan can't take the loss and move so they are looking for anything that they can survive off of. They talk about all these jobs the media and state government and how this or that industry is going to help but they are missing the point that more than 15% are out and maybe .5 of a percent jobs are being created but they are all low pay. Just take a look at the Michigan Talent Bank low pay or part time is many of the jobs or skills most people do not have And can't get so many are stuck... It is just bad all the way around there are other states in the same situation and like others have said it is only going to get worse before it gets better... I know guys in the union and they even see issues with it but when work does come some of it is union only whichs gives them some work but their pay is like other jobs to high and their costs to do the work is high as well so it is going to be tough out there for all that are the in trades union or not.

The road work hasn't really hired many new people that were unemployed, at least have not seen much jobs posted to fill vacancies which was another thing to help the economy... But does not seem to have done much but give more work to the road construction companies. Pay is flat and going down for many careers these days and that is going to have a lasting effect on everyone...

Thanks for the responses you don't hear much about these issues talked about at the fed or state level and the media is just looking the other way except for a few jobs that come a long but these are a small number of jobs... Like watch them talk about an opening then give the pay or the required skills again low pay or highly skilled for low pay...

As for IT yea it is the same all the way around too many in the field and too little work so they can pick and choose and get the lowest bid or company to do the work or hire the person at a low rate. I know many that are in this as well... Just don't hear it talked about and the fact no body is makes it bad because it appears they have no clue just how bad it is again mention above...

Thanks just thought I was off base with thinking it has not hit bottom yet and it will be a long time till it gets going again...

Regards,
Newaygo1

Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Does it seem to anyone else that a lot of the problems started when people started demanding a higher and higher standard of living and needed the wages to keep up with it? For example, take a UAW member who works on the line for Ford. Forty or fifty years ago, this guy would have been content with a three bdrm, one bath home somewhere like Dearborn or Roseville. One car garage (for the family's one car), and a fairly small yard. Doesn't sound like much by today's standards, but that was the American dream back then and they were content. Now take that same worker today. Even a newer house that fits the same description would hardly be good enough. We now need at least four bdrms, 2.5 baths, and at least a two car garage (although three would be better) to hold two new cars and a bunch of "toys" such as jet skis, snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc. Oh, and it has to be in one of the outerlying suburbs so as to be in the "right" subdivision.

Now, I'm certainly not saying that hard-working people don't deserve a good quality of life, or that a working man doesn't deserve to have a few nice things, but who defines "good"? Why is "good" now a $300,000 house and two or more nice cars when "good" back then was a decent house in a safe neighborhood and one decent car? I speak from experience here, as we used to live in Bedford Twp. Michigan, a bedroom suburb of Toledo, OH and most of the people who were buying the swanky subdivision houses were indeed line workers for Chrysler or Ford.

I am not anti-union, in fact, my dh is a Teamster with a high school education. However, do I think that he, or anyone else that fits that description needs to be making $30/hr. + bennies? No, sorry, it's just plain out of line. And this is what happens. The American worker has priced himself out of his job. The unions have done much good for workers, that is obvious. However, by constantly bargaining for more and more perks, and higher and higher wages, just so that a working man can live in the same style that used to be reserved for people such as doctors and lawyers, they have done themselves and their workers a grave disservice, IMHO. And, again, since my dh has a high school education, I am not being a snob in saying this, but if I'm a doctor who went to school for twelve expensive years, I probably deserve a better style of living than a guy who graduated from high school and started working the line a few weeks later.

Sorry if this ticks anyone off, but that is, IMHO, what happened to a lot of the blue collar jobs that used to be in states like Michigan. If the South, with its right to work mentality and absence of labor unions had been made the home base for manufacturing back in the day, instead of places like Detroit, Cleveland, and Toledo, there would probably still be a lot more blue collar jobs in America, but the workers would be making about $10/hr. It's a frustrating dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: