Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:16 PM

449 posts, read 935,333 times

Advertisements

Depends how you define "winter." To me winter is anytime you can expect snow which is November through April. I think we even got a bit in late May early June this year. So yeh, 7 months seems about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:42 PM

20 posts, read 103,293 times
Not all people in southern michigan are excempt to snow, the cold yes but the snow no. Grand Rapids has had over 100 inches of snow the past 2 winters. How close you live to Lake Michigan or Lake Superior can make a huge difference on your opinion of weather, just basked on the amount of snow.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 AM

18 posts, read 33,395 times
The complaint I hear from people who have relocated from the North to the South and Southwest is the number of gray dark days that had to be endured during the Winter months. I met a guy from Chicago that moved to Florida because one Winter he counted six weeks of consecutive cloudy days with no sun. Also, the fact that it gets dark at 5 PM. is a turn off for some (short days and long nights ). So it is not just cold weather that causes people to relocate to warmer climates. Midwest Winters can get you down in different ways especially if you do not go outside much.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,645,318 times
Two years ago I suffered a severe bout of that seasonal depression disorder. By the time spring came I was in pretty bad shape, and it was a lucky thing that at least I knew what I had. I feel drawn to Lake Superior, but I realize that I don't believe I could cope with even longer and colder winters than what we have here in the LP. Last year I tried to mentally store the sun so I could use that during the winter months, and it really helped. I can see how the opposite could become just as bad if for months on end it's just relentless heat, but how much more of winter I want to contend with will be the deciding factor on whether I continue to live here or not.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:41 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybo1 View Post
The complaint I hear from people who have relocated from the North to the South and Southwest is the number of gray dark days that had to be endured during the Winter months. I met a guy from Chicago that moved to Florida because one Winter he counted six weeks of consecutive cloudy days with no sun. Also, the fact that it gets dark at 5 PM. is a turn off for some (short days and long nights ). So it is not just cold weather that causes people to relocate to warmer climates. Midwest Winters can get you down in different ways especially if you do not go outside much.
Seasonal depression is a real problem, but getting outside will help or even cure it. Bundle up for a daily walk in the morning or at lunch, and life will be much happier. Light boxes are an option, but just getting out is enough for most people.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 24,687 times
This year this has been 12 months of cold/cool weather with the exception of maybe 5 days. If that's your thing.. good for you.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,886,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizeofyoursteeple View Post
This year this has been 12 months of cold/cool weather with the exception of maybe 5 days. If that's your thing.. good for you.
Don't know where you are located, but where I am, we had a beautiful Summer. Most of the days were in the mid to upper 70's and a couple weeks where it was in the mid 80's. Not too hot, not too cool.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:46 PM

864 posts, read 1,722,812 times
This may help those with a clinical problem. I suspect most of us just don't like to see cloud cover all of the time during the winter months. How can this not be depressing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Seasonal depression is a real problem, but getting outside will help or even cure it. Bundle up for a daily walk in the morning or at lunch, and life will be much happier. Light boxes are an option, but just getting out is enough for most people.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:09 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,645,318 times
The problem I had in dealing with seasonal depression was that in heavy snow and ice there really isn't a way to get out and walk unless one has snow shoes. I suppose I should have gotten a pair, but I remember even in March when I started jogging down the road it was freezing cold. My eyes would hurt, and that's one thing you can't cover. I don't care to walk down the highway in winter because it's always full of icy patches. I'm afraid someone will skid and plow right into me. I used to periodically climb over the drifts and walk in the woods, but it's so miserable to me doing that. You can't get any speed going so it's just a snail's pace struggling to get through snow and ice drifts. It's dangerous walking as you can slip on hidden ice at any time. If we had this for just a few months it would be different, but last year first snow came on November 15th then it stayed until March. Even in May I was out trying to plant my potatoes during very cold weather. It's just always cold here except for a few weeks at some point in the summer. My brother brought his girlfriend home with him this October, and they live in Honolulu. It was cold with rain almost the whole time. He kept telling her this wasn't normal but really in these last years it seems to be the pattern.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,205,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
The problem I had in dealing with seasonal depression was that in heavy snow and ice there really isn't a way to get out and walk unless one has snow shoes. I suppose I should have gotten a pair, but I remember even in March when I started jogging down the road it was freezing cold. My eyes would hurt, and that's one thing you can't cover. I don't care to walk down the highway in winter because it's always full of icy patches. I'm afraid someone will skid and plow right into me. I used to periodically climb over the drifts and walk in the woods, but it's so miserable to me doing that. You can't get any speed going so it's just a snail's pace struggling to get through snow and ice drifts. It's dangerous walking as you can slip on hidden ice at any time. If we had this for just a few months it would be different, but last year first snow came on November 15th then it stayed until March. Even in May I was out trying to plant my potatoes during very cold weather. It's just always cold here except for a few weeks at some point in the summer. My brother brought his girlfriend home with him this October, and they live in Honolulu. It was cold with rain almost the whole time. He kept telling her this wasn't normal but really in these last years it seems to be the pattern.
I can't comment on upper MI, I live in SE MI when there are very few days that are too cold to go outside. I don't think I would enjoy the weather in upper MI, but I like the seasons here in metro Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan