Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:18 AM

536 posts, read 1,873,286 times

Advertisements

2000 s/f colonial about 300-400/month, but that includes a gas dryer and water heater though (one of these days I will get everyone to stop washing their clothes in warm/hot water!).

35 y/o home with original windows so definitely not as insulated as I would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM

271 posts, read 666,207 times
You really can't plan on much of anything as far as heating costs go in Michigan. It might be a mild winter. It might be a horrible winter. You never know if it's going to be 20F or -20F and there's a huge difference between the two. Both last winter and 2003 we had a long spell of -20F. I normally would have to fill the propane tank twice a year, that 2003 spell sucked down the whole tank in 6 weeks. With the lack of job security and so many people on fixed income, many people just can't deal with that. That was the last year I heated with propane and went to wood. I usually burn 5-7 cord. Sometimes it's nice through November and by April it's nice out. Other times like this year I had to keep a fire going until mid June, and there were quite a few days the last two months I froze. Several 30F mornings already, some in July. 22F and I scraped ice, not frost, off the windows this morning and it's not even September yet. I'm thinking we are headed for a long cold winter with -40F temps and I may need in excess of 10 cord this winter. And that's just with wood. Throw in the volatility oil and propane prices, and you REALLY can't plan for what it's going to cost you. Don't count on being locked in for price either. Some places have locked people into a fixed fuel price for the season, then broken it halfway thru the season.

I'm just saying you've really gotta be prepared for the worst to survive the Michigan winter. I've lived here all of my 33 years. We have been spoiled in the last 10-15 years with milder winters, and they seem to be headed back to how they were when I was a kid.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Ode

298 posts, read 754,584 times
It really does depend on how well your home is insulated, and how you like to live. If you need to be in shorts and a tank top and barefoot in winter, then your bills will be higher. In the Monroe county area, we are comfortable at 65ish in winter, and our bill is $112 for a 1700sf home. Our youngest daughter and her husband have a tiny home about 900sf and their bill has been as high as 3x ours. They like the heat at 78 in winter (it seems stifling to us, lol), their home is poorly insulated, and they tend to leave the doors open a lot. But my daughter says she isn't comfortable unless she can dress in light clothes in winter. I like wearing jeans or sweatpants in winter, with something long sleeved on top. And I like my fuzzy slippers in the house. They are comfy and keep my feet warm too!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 PM

859 posts, read 2,151,608 times
1: How well is the House insulated / windows
2: How hot do you like it in your House
3: What COmpany are you using, what FUEL are you using
4: How is the windcoverage

Now we are with Corn and Pellets Fuel and my House is toasty warm at 72 + and I pay about 1200 per heating season. No its not much cheaper then Porpane but it sure is HOTER and feels MUCH better then Propane,,,its like Woodheat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan