Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 PM

28 posts, read 43,589 times

Advertisements

Half of university grads flee Michigan | detnews.com | The Detroit News

This article from the Detroit News talks about the growing problem of outmigration of college graduates. I myself am a college grad born and bred in Michigan (graduated from a post-grad certification program in June). I plan to move this December. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
My thoughts are that last month you said you had 2 years of school left, you must have stepped up the pace considerably since then to now be done.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 AM

274 posts, read 627,925 times
Go ahead and leave... It's your choice. I was born and raised about 20 mins south of Ann Arbor and left 4 1/2 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

I have been saving up for the past 2 1/2 years and will have 3 yrs worth of living expenses by next summer. Once I have that I am coming back "home" where I belong!!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 AM

87 posts, read 255,157 times
I graduated in 2007 and unfortunately never had the chance to move due to no money or jobs. So I'm stuck here making poverty level wages until I leave for grad school. Nothing wrong with getting out, Pretty much all my friends from college left after graduation and I don't blame them.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
hmmm...gotta do what you gotta do

Old 08-29-2009, 09:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Leaving home after graduation is really nothing new. Most people who want a very good career leave for other places, that's kind of traditional. I think what's new is the idea that you get a college degree, go back to your small town and expect there will be a great job in your field waiting for you.

There's something about having a pioneer spirit, willing to move out of the old neighborhood that gets people ahead.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
I graduated from WMU this summer. I'm still in Michigan, at least for now. Unfortunately, in this terrible economy, you have to go where the jobs are.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM

850 posts, read 1,899,191 times
i see it as another 'doom and gloom' article.

"Half of Michigan's college grads now leave the state within a year of graduation, taking with them their diplomas and the talent needed to help rebuild Michigan's economy."

i don't know of too many graduates fresh out of college who start a new business and generate tons of jobs. they usually go work for someone else. and taking a job in another state is not just because of the economy but something i think alot of people were beginning to do as a reflection of the times and our internet driven society.

i moved out of michigan at the start of the bad economy. i missed home so badly i cried myself to sleep many nights. i was lucky to find a decent job after moving back. in missouri i had a good job, health insurance, benefits and all that. but i was miserable. having experienced that i realized money is not worth being away from home. i may never be rich but i'm pretty sure i'll be happy.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Anyways, its gonna take more "established" companies to help Michigan out, in the short term anyways. Let them leave and get things going, maybe they will get homesick and return with their businesses.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 AM

364 posts, read 878,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Want_Snow View Post
Go ahead and leave... It's your choice. I was born and raised about 20 mins south of Ann Arbor and left 4 1/2 years ago and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

I have been saving up for the past 2 1/2 years and will have 3 yrs worth of living expenses by next summer. Once I have that I am coming back "home" where I belong!!
I cant tell you how many stories Ive heard that are similar! Let those leave who want to leave. Im a university grad and I love MI, love to vacation and see other places but cant wait to get back home. MI is and always will be my home.

Im sure it hasnt been mentioned anywhere on this board, but MI added 38,100 jobs in July, 2nd only to the state of NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan