Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

5 posts, read 30,431 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I've been poking around the site but I havent found a definitive answer.

My unemployment benefits are almost out, I just filed for my EUC extension on the UIA login site. Therefore I am expecting to get the 20 week extension.

It said that I should go to the Michigan works agency again to verify that they have my information, and that I need to update my michigan works resume. I did update the resume online.

Just wondering if it is absolutely necessary to go to the michigan works office again, or not?

Anybody who has done this, please give me some help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 04:37 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,023 times
I updated mine on line and had no problems. I do everything online with Michigan Works. I've only gone there to register for the no worker left behind program.
I thought it said to make sure your still registered with the Michigan Works. But I may be mistaken.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Ok so you got your EUC without having to walk back in there?

Because it just happened that I had international travel planned to Peru coming up and thats the main reason for concern. I dont wanna have to cancel my trip because I have to show up to confirm that I can keep getting my unemployment.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:11 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmechem View Post
Ok so you got your EUC without having to walk back in there?

Because it just happened that I had international travel planned to Peru coming up and thats the main reason for concern. I dont wanna have to cancel my trip because I have to show up to confirm that I can keep getting my unemployment.
Even if you had to go you can go at any time. So I don't see the issue either way.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Hi there, I've been poking around the site but I havent found a definitive answer.

My unemployment benefits are almost out, I just filed for my EUC extension on the UIA login site. Therefore I am expecting to get the 20 week extension.

It said that I should go to the Michigan works agency again to verify that they have my information, and that I need to update my michigan works resume. I did update the resume online.

Just wondering if it is absolutely necessary to go to the michigan works office again, or not?

Anybody who has done this, please give me some help. Thanks.
Even though you can update your resume online from home, I would still go to your local MI works because they will give you a stamped and signed document that you did it, it takes 10 minutes max and the office worker will put it in the system immedietly.......It's a CYA thing.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Yeah... hmm. So is it pretty much a rinse repeat of the process I did the first time I went to get unemployment in the first place?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,197,771 times
Quote:
Yeah... hmm. So is it pretty much a rinse repeat of the process I did the first time I went to get unemployment in the first place?
Not really.....your resume is still on the MI site, you don't have to fill it out all over again, just skip past the resume and the next page will ask if your still unemployed, are u seeking work.....kinda like Marvin but you check the boxes yea or ney....in and out in 10 minutes and the desk girl will give you a confirmation paper.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM

I think I did that, on the michigan UIA extension site. I checked me boxes and then it sent me a paper saying it was confirmed that my extension application was filed.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:20 AM

80 posts, read 277,650 times
Fellow Unemployed Americans,

Early next month congress will reconvene and consider 2 bills on extending unemployment benefits for those who are still unemployed:

1. Representative Jim McDermott has introduced the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2009, H.R. 3404. The bill would continue important ARRA benefits including the $25 per week federal additional compensation, full federal sharing for EB benefits, and the existing 33 weeks of EUC, through December 31, 2010 and phasing out by June 2011. In addition, the bill would provide 13 weeks of "further additional emergency unemployment compensation" to those states with an unemployment rate above 9.5%.

2. Senator Jack Reed introduced a similar package in the Senate (S. 1647) would provide such benefits to states with a three months average unemployment rate of 8.5%.

Unemployed Americans are being left out because their state doesn’t have a current unemployment rate of 9.5% or their state’s 3 month average is less than 8.5%. Does that mean that they need relief less than other unemployed individuals in other states with higher unemployment? No. Unemployed is unemployed no matter how many of your neighbors have jobs.

I am urging everyone to get off your duffs and do something to ensure that nobody is left out when congress extends unemployment benefits next month.

Q: What can you do?
A: Contact your elected officials and let them know that all unemployed Americans need relief no matter what the state unemployment rate is.

Q: How do I contact my elected officials?
A: Unemployedworkers.org and The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has a tool that will provide you the names and contact information of elected officials in your area. You can find it here: Unemployed Workers Home | Ask Congress to Extend Jobless Benefits Now!
Entering your zip code will display all of the elected officials in your state/city/district and their contact information.

The one major flaw that both of these pieces of legislation have is that not all unemployed Americans will benefit from the proposed extension of unemployment benefits. Let your legislators know that you think it is unfair to exclude anyone who is currently unemployed through no fault of their own!

Thank you.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Figured I'd post an update.

The visit to the office was entirely unnecessary. I did not go.

At the time of my MARVIN call, I had just one week of regular benefits. And as such, I didnt have quite enough time for MARVIN to split my pay between the two programs.

I called the phone number at the bottom of the EUC PDF, and talked to a woman and explained it. She asked if I went to the office, to which I told her no because I never got a paper confirming that I was in the EUC program.

She said no big deal dont worry about it as long as you updated your resume you will be fine. She paid me the week marvin missed, and I'm in and good.

Just in case others get to wondering and find this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan