Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM

493 posts, read 1,450,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What do you mean "picking up"? These bad habits are nothing new in Michigan. I've seen all that many times over in my 26 years of driving. (I learned to drrive in Michigan). Granted, it can be worse elsewhere, but it's still nothing new.
I learned to drive in Michigan in 1964. We didn't have problems like that, then. People once took great pride in their driving skills. Speeding was always a given, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:35 PM

493 posts, read 1,450,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In Michigan most people stop at yellow lights. In California yellow means floor it.
Yup, if you don't do that here in California, you'll end up stopping for almost every single light. Many intersections have about a two-second delay in the light between the time it turns red in one direction and green in the other, for that reason.

Quote:
Many people were talking ont he phone, reading the paper, putting on makeup, typing on their computer, etc so they simply did nto notice a turn signal, but suaully if you got someone to notice, they would make room for you.
You'll be happy to know that using a handheld cell phone while driving is finally illegal in California. It hasn't totally stopped it, even though people were given way too much time - 18 months - to buy the hands-free gizmos. The unfortunate side effect is that they don't take them off when they go into places; thus, you have all of these borgs walking around.

Quote:
THe tailgating thing makes me crazy. One evening I was driving home very late at night pulling our little boat. I was on the I-275 and there were no other cars. Someone else got on the freeway and pulled right up a few inches behind the boat. I do nto know if they were trying to intimidate me into driving faster, but they failed. They were so close, that I could nto see them at all. I slowed down more and more, but they would not pass me. The just hugged the back of the boat on an otherwise empty freeway. I even slowed nearly to a stop and they still stayed back there. Bozos.
Of three accidents I've been in through 45 years of driving, two have been someone rear-ending me. The other one, I was T-boned by a guy running a light. I have zero tolerance for tailgaters.

Quote:
Michigan is much less of a lookie loo state. You always get some of that, especialy if there is an injury accident, but it is much less here.
In California, people slow down to gawk at accidents, people with broken down cars, flat tires, or being pulled over to get a ticket

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,092,583 times
I hate, hate, hate when you're trying to merge onto the freeway, and the jacka** in front of you won't speed up above 40 mph.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:46 PM

421 posts, read 1,568,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
It's even worse in winter. I hate it when the right lane is plowed when the left passing lane isn't. You'll see people in their old rear wheel drive vehicles going 35mph in the nicely plowed lane forcing all others to pass in the unplowed lane. Not sure what the alternative is but I generally do some white knuckle driving while passing and then try maneuver back into the right lane where I can go the speed limit.
Hahhahahaha!!!! I hear ya!!!! They do this in Northeast Ohio as well. You have two good, bare wheeltracks, and someone decides to poke along for no good reason. THe passing lane is snowbound, so you are lucky if you can get out there and roll past them. 35 in a 55, with two good, bare wheeltracks and good visibility is just stupid and selfish. People have places to go and things to do!!!

Old 07-19-2009, 11:48 PM

421 posts, read 1,568,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I hate, hate, hate when you're trying to merge onto the freeway, and the jacka** in front of you won't speed up above 40 mph.
I hear ya!!! Some people seem to think they will break their car if they put the gas pedal down, LOL!!! You have to love the old farts in the Caddy Northstars who do this. All of that power, and they can't even goose the pedal!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,120,108 times
Got one for ya....

.....driving along on a boulevard (2 lanes in each direction, usually has a center lane for left turns).....

And I'm doin' the speed limit, hangin' in the right lane.

A car passes me on the left, then moves in front of me.....

....immediately slams on the brakes and turns right.

Why didn't they just stay behind me if they were going to turn right?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,791,347 times
People who don't look to see if there's traffic BEFORE plowing at 85 mph off the on-ramp are a bit of a hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan