Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 11:34 PM

161 posts, read 640,176 times

Advertisements

I have been comparing stats and info about Midland and Bay City, and have discovered some interesting things that I would like to confirm with people who are familiar with both cities.

Both cities look like decent places to live with fairly low crime rates, especially compared to some other Michigan cities. Midland seems more upscale.

From the stats I saw, Midland has a relatively low unemployment rate around 7%, while Bay City is much higher, around 12%. Does anyone have some insight as to why one is fairing better than the other.

I was surprised at the annual snowfall totals I saw. I was expecting higher amounts. Bay City was listed at 36in a year, and Midland only 21in. Do those sound right? Is there really a 15in. difference between the two?

Bay City appears to have a regular scheduled fixed route public transit system. It runs during the week from 6am-6pm. But it appears that Midland does not have a fixed route transit system. They only have dial-a-ride service.

So do these statements all sound accurate? What other differences can you offer about the two cities?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM

197 posts, read 378,670 times
Yep, you pretty much have it all there, minus the snow, i would say its pretty even throughout the area. Large snow storms roll through every season, but generally we have a 1-2" average per storm. Midland is almost entirely supported by DOW, its why they are fairing better. I like Bay City much better, very nice city, and a very nice downtown area. Bay City isn't as uptight or "snooty" as Midland is. Yes, i don't think many realize in the area that Bay City has a fairly decent mass transit bus system, while other areas are totally reliant on automobiles.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 PM

263 posts, read 744,910 times
if i had to live in either one, i would choose bay city. it is nice. i grew up about twenty miles away and shopped there. now, three of our children own homes and work there...one downtown, and two in subdivisions on the west side.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 32,894 times
Midland always gets a bad rap for being snooty. Having lived there almost my entire life I don't think this is true. Yes there are more people in Midland that have a lot of money because they work for Dow, but I don't think that makes them act differently then the people in Bay City. Midland is a more family oriented town and Bay City is known for a lot of festivals especially by the bay and there is a large bar scene there. I think Midland is safer, but honestly Bay City isn't scary either.

All of the other things you stated I think are true. The only one I'm not sure of is the unemployment rate difference. A lot of people that live in Midland work for Dow and over the years they have been laying off more and more people. Midland also recently added a single A baseball stadium which may help offset some of the layoffs at Dow.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
I have been comparing stats and info about Midland and Bay City, and have discovered some interesting things that I would like to confirm with people who are familiar with both cities.

Both cities look like decent places to live with fairly low crime rates, especially compared to some other Michigan cities. Midland seems more upscale.

From the stats I saw, Midland has a relatively low unemployment rate around 7%, while Bay City is much higher, around 12%. Does anyone have some insight as to why one is fairing better than the other.

I was surprised at the annual snowfall totals I saw. I was expecting higher amounts. Bay City was listed at 36in a year, and Midland only 21in. Do those sound right? Is there really a 15in. difference between the two?

Bay City appears to have a regular scheduled fixed route public transit system. It runs during the week from 6am-6pm. But it appears that Midland does not have a fixed route transit system. They only have dial-a-ride service.

So do these statements all sound accurate? What other differences can you offer about the two cities?

Thanks in advance.
I've lived my whole life in these two cities, and Bay City is the better one by far. Crime is higher, but that happens when unemployment is higher, the city is bigger, and you have more bars per capita than anywhere else in the world. However, in the summer there's always something to do, it's a nice little city.

Midland is a pretty town, but the people are snobby, the economic opportunities are more limited, and the place shuts down even earlier than Bay City does. Not much to do during the summer.

EDIT: Maybe you can't see the snobbiness because you've been in Midland your whole life. As someone who has moved into Midland the difference is stark. I've worked retail in btoh cities and while customers are pretty rude in general, Midland takes the cake. They expect you to do EVERYTHING for them, and if they ask you a question they never feel you are qualified to give them an answer and they never believe you, often going to ridiculous lengths to convince themselves they are right. A sense of entitlement is ever present.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,519 times
Default Bay City, Yuk!!

I've lived Bay City for 10 years now and can't wait to leave. The demographics are nice but the attitude of the population is terrible. I drive 50 miles to have a decent job. I feel sorry for anyone who is considering moving here. Move anywhere but here if you don't want to eventually be clinically depressed because of lack of caring of neighbors. The folks in this city would rather argue with you rather than get along. They don't seem to care about anything but themselves and what they can get (usually for free or steal it). I see alot of drug dealing on the streets, and the cops are slow to respond when you need them, and be careful, we had a tazor death to a 15 year old by the police, without retribution. I would much rather live in Midland where the general populace seems much more friendly. Too many bars here in this town too. Lots of drunks. Don't walk down the sidewalk at night because you may be mugged or something worse. You can't even eat the fish out the the river due to water contamination. There is also a federal FEMA concentration camp being constructed on Weadock Rd in nearby Essexville. Google it if you don't believe me. No, this is not the place for me, and I will be leaving soon. I cannot recommend living here.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,086 times
I hope someone can be honest, because this is a sensitive subject for some people.
We are contemplating a move from Texas to Bay City due to a job opportunity to run a New Company in Bay City.
My wife is Hispanic, 4th generation Texas, so not a Mexican, but ancestors are of Spanish decent.
So, Are the people prejudice in this community? Will she encounter discrimination if she goes shopping or into a restaurant?

We will live in an upper scale neighborhood and if they allow us, join the country club.

I really am concerned and would like to know in advance.
I can still have the company move to Detroit instead, as we are still in our planning stages. High crime, but I know we can live in a gated community.

Your honest feedback will be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times
You'll find about as many prejudices as you would anywhere else. I can't imagine you being treated differently by anyone in business or in clubs, though. The prejudices here are mostly under the surface. Most prejudiced people I know aren't full on racists (if there is such a distinction), but they might make inappropriate jokes once in a while or assume that crime is going up because black people are moving in from Saginaw. They're not going to treat your poorly and probably won't think twice about your race or your wife's.

But there are quite a few Hispanics and black people in Bay City. I wouldn't worry. You'll be fine here.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,265 times
I've lived in the area for 36 years and VM1138 is someone I would agree with on this topic. Not everyone in Midland is snobby, there is Dow High (snobby) and Midland High (average). There is just a large proportion of people holding college degrees and there is more foreign workers with degrees.

I am in the construction industry, and Bay City itself has a higher property tax base and has discussed instituting an income tax (so far, hasn't happened), so you will probably want to live in Bangor, or another surrounding area.

This used to be a heavily populated area for migrant workers. When I grew up the local tv station had a reporter who read the news in Spanish every morning before I went to school. Equipment has replaced many, but as VM1138 said, I don't think you should have to worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan