Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,916,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansen View Post
Werd

Really, though, i don't like to believe it, but i constantly find myself in situations where i confirm my suspicions that people in MI just generally suck. I don't know what it is, but people here are just so outwardly angry and belligerent, its not even funny.
LOL! Where do you people live? I mean seriously...In all my 42 years in Michigan have I ever said to my self, wow...Michigan people suck! Which leads me to believe that Bydand is right on the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

197 posts, read 379,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow, you live in a different State than I do. My suspicions are that you see your own attitude reflected in how others deal with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
LOL! Where do you people live? I mean seriously...In all my 42 years in Michigan have I ever said to my self, wow...Michigan people suck! Which leads me to believe that Bydand is right on the money.

??? isn't this half of what the OP was saying, i'm not bashing on any one person in particular and obviously there are good people in MI, your all so quick to jump right on someone. I didn't single any one person out. I don't like to cause or create any kind of trouble with anyone, people seem to like me in general, i have literally met like 5 people in my life who just seems to not agree with me (in that they don't like me for some reason). Where ever i go though, its just some one screwing over some one else, or the lack or courtesy, especially on the roads, people just angry for no real reason. However, if above all else, and there was even a thread on this, people aren't very inviting. I like to pick conversations with random people, you can figure some one out fairly quickly when they are caught off guard, but half the time people are unfriendly. Its not like i'm rude ether, just civil conversation about whatever happens to be going on at that moment. I honestly have less trouble with my peers, it just seems to be older-ish people. Another intesting side to this puzzle is you think you know some one, they seem to be a good person, and then you actually to know them and you figure out how crooked they are... I'm not alone in feeling like this, many of my friends feel the same way, and fine, whatever, we are projecting this on other people, but thats honestly the dumbest thing i have ever heard, why would any sensible person walk around with the disposition that every person around them hates them, is out to get them, and shouldn't be trusted... lol, which is ironically what i am saying about many people i come across. In the thread, it was some one who moved here and noticed what i am refering to, some one from the area where he moved from and has lived in MI for a while said it best, that we don't have in the south that is "southern hospitality". From what i see, its just a bunch of Reagonites, do what i have to do to make it the best i can and i don't care what happens to most everyone else..

These are my opinions, but please, prove the OP correct.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,916,411 times
Quote:
??? isn't this half of what the OP was saying, i'm not bashing on any one person in particular and obviously there are good people in MI, your all so quick to jump right on someone. I didn't single any one person out. I don't like to cause or create any kind of trouble with anyone, people seem to like me in general, i have literally met like 5 people in my life who just seems to not agree with me (in that they don't like me for some reason). Where ever i go though, its just some one screwing over some one else, or the lack or courtesy, especially on the roads, people just angry for no real reason. However, if above all else, and there was even a thread on this, people aren't very inviting. I like to pick conversations with random people, you can figure some one out fairly quickly when they are caught off guard, but half the time people are unfriendly. Its not like i'm rude ether, just civil conversation about whatever happens to be going on at that moment. I honestly have less trouble with my peers, it just seems to be older-ish people. Another intesting side to this puzzle is you think you know some one, they seem to be a good person, and then you actually to know them and you figure out how crooked they are... I'm not alone in feeling like this, many of my friends feel the same way, and fine, whatever, we are projecting this on other people, but thats honestly the dumbest thing i have ever heard, why would any sensible person walk around with the disposition that every person around them hates them, is out to get them, and shouldn't be trusted... lol, which is ironically what i am saying about many people i come across. In the thread, it was some one who moved here and noticed what i am refering to, some one from the area where he moved from and has lived in MI for a while said it best, that we don't have in the south that is "southern hospitality". From what i see, its just a bunch of Reagonites, do what i have to do to make it the best i can and i don't care what happens to most everyone else..

Come on....you cant tell me if you were to live in any other state, for any lenght of time, that you would not come to the same conclusion. I would say there are a lot of people in every state that suck. Are you saying Michigan has the most amount of people that suck? And if so, how can you possibly prove that? You would have to live in every state for quite some time to make that statement I would think.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,888,528 times
Quote:

Wow Swansen, you set up an argument to get people's ire up, and then you use people's reactions as proof that your argument is correct. That's like telling someone what a lousy person they are because they have anger issues, and then validating it in your mind when they get defensive about it. Maybe people don't like you because you're manipulative...

Perhaps there is an increased amount of road rage because people in Michigan are under a lot of stress (there's a national economic crisis and Michael Jackson just died didn't ya know). Or perhaps people aren't as friendly in public to absolute strangers because they are dealing with potential bankruptcy or job loss or family loss or a million other things going on. I don't see it. People seem to be surprisingly friendly and genuine lately, IMO.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,218,557 times
Default Here! Here!

A lot of people think moving from Michigan will solve all that ails them. To them I say: the problems Michigan faces now are coming to a state near you real soon.

Michigan will have its day again. Just wait till the water shortage hits.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM

271 posts, read 252,479 times
It has nothing to do with the views, or the hills or the cherry blossoms. It has to do with the economy of Michigan falling off the cliff. There is not end in sight for the end of this recession. As people stop spending money and buying cars especially American cars, Michigan is going to feel the brunt of this recession. Property values are still falling and homes are sitting on the market. People are still moving out of Michigan faster then into Michigan, and in this recession there is not even a place to go where work is good. Every place is hurting to one degree or another. The future is not looking so good for many people and as the unemployment runs out this winter will be a hard one on thousands of Michiganders.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,117,386 times
Quote:
Werd

Really, though, i don't like to believe it, but i constantly find myself in situations where i confirm my suspicions that people in MI just generally suck. I don't know what it is, but people here are just so outwardly angry and belligerent, its not even funny.
Ya know, when I was deciding to leave Michigan or not for a REALLY good job offer, the main thing tugging at my gut was the fact that I'd be leaving my family and friends behind.

Guess I hung out in different circles than you....

Old 07-07-2009, 02:43 PM

147 posts, read 523,127 times
Quote:
Werd

No way! People are very friendly in Michigan. In fact, my sister who lives in New Jersey says that everytime she visits.

Basically, I think people are nice no matter where you go. You generally get what you put out there.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,290,012 times
We'll be coming later in the month to spend tourist dollars and enjoy your wonderful State parks and natural beauty. And we'll keep coming back.
Sound like a glass half full or half empty debate. I never cared for Detroit but that doesn't mean the whole state is unpleasant. I have never driven through Flint so I do not have that image. I have been in and around many nice towns and cities including Grand Rapids, Holland, Kalamazoo, Suburban Detroit, Huron. Traverse City, Ludington and others and Michigan gets a big from me. We're pulling for you. The problems with maintaining and creating good paying manufacturing jobs is shared by many other Great Lake states including WI, IL, IN, OH, PA and NY

Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM

262 posts, read 783,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
A lot of people think moving from Michigan will solve all that ails them. To them I say: the problems Michigan faces now are coming to a state near you real soon.
My college age child left Michigan because he could not find minimium wage jobs much less a dollar or two over min. Ten applications 4 offers in a few days. So no, it is not a nationwide problem, the economic downturn is nationwide but that does not directly translate into lost jobs like it does in Michigan, home of cars and industry. And yes, if he was qualified he could get better wages.

Industry is especially hard hit by the nation's current condition, that is Michigan's real problem. Its not a lack of good people or even over taxation, it is jobs. Michigan bashers generally either have already left or are planning on leaving because they can not find employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan