Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 AM

86 posts, read 456,784 times

Advertisements

I'm a beginner at hiking and backpacking, and I'm looking for some trails that are good for beginners, so I can start working my way up to the more difficult ones. I'm near Flint, so for now I'm looking for something that's not too far away that I can hit over a weekend. Once I get in shape and get into it a little more seriously, I'll head up to the northlands and maybe try out the Porcupine Mountains! Anyone near Flint or metro Detroit know of any good places to start out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 10:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Default Hiking

If you already haven't, you need to hike the potowotomi....its in Pinckney,MI about a hour south of you. There is a trial system that runs from there to near Jackson, MI (about 52 miles). The potowotomi is a loop that runs 20 miles, intermediate to advanced, ( I mountain bike it) its one of the most popular trails in the Midwest for biking and hiking. Look up www.mmba.org. There is a list of trails there. If you have any other questions let me know. The porcupine mountains are very rugged (if you havne't done alot of hiking). Well have fun

Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
There's a book called Trail Atlas of Michigan and I forget what edition it is in currently, but it is a gem of a book, filled with lots of information on the various trails and trail systems in MI You may be able to check out a copy from your local library...Enjoy!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
Default Options

My wife and I are big into Backpacking. I don't recommend the Potawatomi...too many bikers and horses.

For beginner backpacking and a shortish drive from Flint, try the Shingle Mill Pathway near Vanderbilt. It's a weekend-capable loop hike with great "make your own campsite" backpacking and gorgeous views.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
Quote:
I don't recommend the Potawatomi...too many bikers and horses.
There's also hikers and trail runners.

The trails are for multi-use. Everyone can co-exist and share the same trails Bikers and horses do yield for hikers/pedestrians. There are rules of the trail and etiquette which are followed mostly.

Plus, it depends on when you're using the trail. On the weekends, you'll encounter more bikers and horses. However, during the week, not so much.

Regardless though, it's good to be alert on any trail, even ones that are designated just for hikers. There can be all kinds of trail hazards. I don't believe, however bikers and horses are a hazard.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Default Hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suydam View Post
My wife and I are big into Backpacking. I don't recommend the Potawatomi...too many bikers and horses.

For beginner backpacking and a shortish drive from Flint, try the Shingle Mill Pathway near Vanderbilt. It's a weekend-capable loop hike with great "make your own campsite" backpacking and gorgeous views.

Horses are not allowed on the potawatomi loop, they are allowed on the waterloo trail system that runs into it.( I worked for the DNR for years) Even on the busiest biker days you may run into less than 5 people on the 20 mile stretch.
Later
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan