Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 26,821 times

Advertisements

What is your location?More Info on the house,please. We are looking to get out of Missouri and go back to Mi
Thanks

fr8lnr_10@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:37 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Just to add a little update. We are still doing for sale by owner. I have had 3 other realtor's do the same thing. Even had one show up at my door with research in her hand. They all ask the same thing. Are you looking to do a short sale? That's the first questions. 2nd How did you come up with your price? Did someone tell you to list it for that amount? Also why are you trying to sell it yourself instead of hiring a professional. I've told them all the same thing. YOU CHARGE TOO MUCH. If by some miracle we got what we want for our home, we're going to pay $15,000 to sell it. Almost $8,000 going to the realtor. Uh I'm in no real hurry to sell and I have no desire to pay someone $8,000 to do what I am fully capable of doing. Sorry.
Thing that chap's my a$$ is the one that showed up at my door. She asked how we came up with the price. I told her my sister in law has a mortgage company and I have access to two appraisers who have looked up recent sales in our area. She then pulls out her so called comps and tries to compare our house only to the crap hole bank owned homes that have sold. Not the ones that really look as nice as our house. Only the crap houses, one that was a crap house sold for $138,000 and it did not have as big of a yard, a basement or even a garage. Yet when I pointed it out she made up some crap about how she knows because she has lived in the area so long and an appraiser not from this area is going to come in $25,000 less than what we have it up for.
Anyway I told my sister in law this and she about blew a gasket and said this woman was full of it with an sh in front. She then went on to explain that we are right on with our price and should have it up for $15,000 more than what we will take. She asked for the womans number because she wanted to ask her why she is trying to play her potential clients and get them to sell much lower than the house is worth even in todays market. She also wanted to question her BS about the appraiser lecture she gave me. My wife and her family have been in real estate in one way or another their entire life. I think I'll trust them over some stranger at my door.
We were Downriver, so it couldn't be the same person that I worked with, but gosh the story sounds the same. Way to hang tough and stand your ground. I wish that we would have. We had a realtor that we had worked with previously, and I didn't like him either, but at least he got results. My husband went with "DipsyDoodle" because he felt she had the most comprehensive marketing plan. I told him straight out, in front of her no less, that she would not be my first choice. I should have more fully asserted myself. But at that point, we WERE moving in about 2 weeks and we needed to list with someone, as we would be out of state and showings would be hard for me to get to if we were still FSBO.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane julien View Post
Ouch! I am a Realtor, I am not surprised at some of the negative things written. I however have learned over the years that in every job there are good and bad. I just choose not to put them all in the same bracket. My story began when I too had gotten the raw end of the deal in a real Estate transaction. We bought a house couldnt afford the home inspection, borrowed the down payment. The house turned out to be a lemon. This house took 6 years for us to recover. Rather than complain, I thought when life gives you lemons... MAKE LEMONAIDE! At the time I worked at the Post office delivering 640 house walking a day, for 6 years. I thought my knees were falling asleep turns out they were popping out of the sockets regularly so my husband suggested staying home and just being mom, which i had never done. He said when they go to school full time and if you want to go to work get into something that you want to do. And let me add, that directly out of High School in 1981 i went into the Military for 6 years. Along with the Post Office i sold cars for a short time, I loved Car sales, but I hated the CUT THROAT STYLE! So it was after my husband and i were put through our dilema with our home, that made me realize that i wanted to spare other buyers and sellers from dealing with the type of agent we had. And i have done just that over and over. great pride is what I have for myself as an agent, so I ask that when you share keep in mind that somewhere someone is thinking worse about you. So instead of being so down on the whole profession, cast the first stone. Never degrade someone, whether there is little training or alot of school, my thought is there is a job for everyone that you are destined to do. That would be like me as a parent saying to one of my "7" children, oh don't be a real estate agent they have little or no traing they are all deceitful.. What message are we sending. Maybe not a good person to be in the public view to have so many opinions so ugly. I will pray for you.
Certainly not all people in a particular category are good or bad.

And it sounds like you are a good person, with a good reason to be doing what you are doing, as you had a negative experience yourself.

But when there are so many people out there that have SUCH similar stories with different agents, it becomes hard not to generalize.

It's too bad that people don't scream from the mountain top about their good agents, the way we do about our bad ones...

I wish you luck and continued success with being one of the good ones!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM

271 posts, read 251,827 times
When times get slow like now this is the realtor that stays in the business. The women who want to work for a few extra bucks all leave when the going gets hard like it is now. I have seen realtors pick up a phone book and cold call, One husband and wife teem would start from different ends of the book and cold call asking if they were looking for a home or were interested in selling their home. The thing is for every 1000 people like you who are annoyed there is one that is hooked. If they make a 5,000 commission off of that one they did well. Its a mater of numbers. A realtor is supposed to have your best interest at heart but so are Doctors and you know they only have the next Porsche payment at heart.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
When times get slow like now this is the realtor that stays in the business. The women who want to work for a few extra bucks all leave when the going gets hard like it is now. I have seen realtors pick up a phone book and cold call, One husband and wife teem would start from different ends of the book and cold call asking if they were looking for a home or were interested in selling their home. The thing is for every 1000 people like you who are annoyed there is one that is hooked. If they make a 5,000 commission off of that one they did well. Its a mater of numbers. A realtor is supposed to have your best interest at heart but so are Doctors and you know they only have the next Porsche payment at heart.
My husband is a doctor and so I would disagree. Perhaps you need to find better physicians to work with. Just like realtors that are good ones and bad ones. By and large I know a WHOLE bunch of good doctors. Call me biased, but I wouldn't be too quick to lump doctors with real estate agents.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:32 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
point being, finding someone truly caring and willing to go out of their way to do a superior job is hard to do, whether a realtor, tradesman or healthcare professional. id say doctors fit in along with everyone else in that statement. a plumbers wife probably knows a Whole bunch of good plumbers too.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
We decided to list with a friend of the family. We have a showing in the morning already and another interested. She really impressed us and her rates are lower than any other realtor. She told us she would NEVER knock on a persons door or even call to try to get listings. She loved our house and felt it could move fast. So far it looks like she may be right.
We decided to go with her because of her rates, she is popular in our area and a friend of my mother in law. Also we ran some numbers and we should walk away with what we want.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
We decided to list with a friend of the family. We have a showing in the morning already and another interested. She really impressed us and her rates are lower than any other realtor. She told us she would NEVER knock on a persons door or even call to try to get listings. She loved our house and felt it could move fast. So far it looks like she may be right.
We decided to go with her because of her rates, she is popular in our area and a friend of my mother in law. Also we ran some numbers and we should walk away with what we want.
It is hard to do by yourself. I hope that you have great luck and that it moves quickly!
I guess you proved Todd's point. If you know people, you know who the good ones are. And for the record Todd, I know a pretty good number of **** poor doctors too. But, by and large, most doc's are not looking at their porsche payment, but went into medicine to help. There are some who are looking at the bottom line, but I know about 5 good ones for each of the truly bad ones. And though I am married to a physician, I worked in Health Care for 8+ years myself, so I count my own experiences in addition to that which I have gained as a doctor's wife.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
Talbet really hates physicians and Christianity. As you will note, his posts are directed toward hatred of both groups regardless of the topic. The subject could be inflatable rafts, and he would note that he hates Christians and physicians. Ironically, Talbet has a buisness directed toward the making and selling of fake world war two militaria (sold as genuine) on the internet. So much for ethical.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
jgatti, glad to hear you have some propects for the house already. how much lower are your realtors rates, a little bits alot of difference. my mom recently passed away and i have to now hurry and try to get the rest of the remodeling we had started done and try and sell it. pple say to me, just sell it as is, i say sure its not you losing still more money in this weak market, so thats easy advice to give. i hope ill do as well as it looks you will do, but i have an uphill battle. and death of a parent is never easy, especially alone, which has made concentration harder this far. sorry im off the track, side tracked.

in regards to the other off topic area, actually i dont believe the old line that docs generally go into medicine to help pple. if that were the case, there would be many more in things like doctors without borders and programs that provided pro-bono services to deserving pple that need help. my moms hip surgery was 55k, her stay at the hospice was 225 a day, which medicare doesnt cover. there are misc bills im still getting for 300 here and there for a doc to just pop in for a couple minutes. the true humanitarians are the docs heading off to some godforsaken poor country to help those in need for a few yrs out of their life. oh and im a disabled vet, and the quality at the va's ive been to, leaves much to be desired. just my 2 cents based on my experience as a healthcare administrator and life on earth. talbots post was generally about the topic here, just added a line comparing different professions and service. im sure there are some docs that care a great deal, but also are charging huge amounts as well. anyway, good luck to us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan