Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,513 times

Advertisements

Downtown TC is open and bustling year 'round. The renovated State Theater Traverse City Film Festival and new restaurants down there have really brought a lot more people downtown. It's a lively, fun small town downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:21 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,158 times
I absolutely love Traverse City..thats why we moved here. We actually relocated less than 10 miles west of Traverse, but we are in the TC every day. Downtown is what sold us. It's cute little shops, (although we have to window shop) the streets, and of course right next to the water. I dont mind the traffic if thats what you call it. When i first started driving around town, some of the one way streets messed me up. and the blinking arrow, i had no idea what to do and people were honking at me. lol. Then i seen someone turn left on a red light with a cop behind him, and the cop sat right there. Come to find out..you can turn left on red if its a one way street.
We love this town....love it love it love it....and we have only been here since december.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:09 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,062 times
I've had a desire to move to Gaylord for the longest time. Although I still love the city Traverse has really grown on me after my last few visits and I love the city and the idea of my kids being able to live and grow up in a nice safe area like I did as a kid. There is so much to do in the area, so much water and stores and places to just walk and enjoy. My wife and I were up there for the Cherry festival and walked from the Holliday Inn to the downtown area. What an enjoyable walk. The entire area has been developed in such a nice way, the new marina and sidewalks that seem to run the entire distance of the bay. I've been bugging my wife and trying to plant it in her head that TC is where we need to be.
When we were kids we could run the streets and neighborhood with no worries. Crime was just not something you really thought about. Now, even though we live in a far northern suburb we still need to be concerned about crime. There are some not so good people in our area and I won't let my son play out front unless I am out there. I know every city has it's problems, but when I look at the stat's and the fact city data shows no murders posted as far back at it goes. That tell's me that TC is a pretty safe city to be in. Hope we can hold out until that day might come.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times
TVC is as safe as it can be. Only real issue up here are the morons who insist on drinking & driving. My wifes' law firm stays pretty busy because of it. Law enforcement is stellar around here and they do not put up w/any crap. In Traverse City proper, there is no place that we wouldn't feel safe walking in any time of day or night. We miss the "city" on ocassion but Chicago is only a 40 min flight away, which is where we go when we need our fix or some real ethic food (Greek, Italian , etc.) because that does not exist up here, yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I've had a desire to move to Gaylord for the longest time. Although I still love the city Traverse has really grown on me after my last few visits and I love the city and the idea of my kids being able to live and grow up in a nice safe area like I did as a kid. There is so much to do in the area, so much water and stores and places to just walk and enjoy. My wife and I were up there for the Cherry festival and walked from the Holliday Inn to the downtown area. What an enjoyable walk. The entire area has been developed in such a nice way, the new marina and sidewalks that seem to run the entire distance of the bay. I've been bugging my wife and trying to plant it in her head that TC is where we need to be.
When we were kids we could run the streets and neighborhood with no worries. Crime was just not something you really thought about. Now, even though we live in a far northern suburb we still need to be concerned about crime. There are some not so good people in our area and I won't let my son play out front unless I am out there. I know every city has it's problems, but when I look at the stat's and the fact city data shows no murders posted as far back at it goes. That tell's me that TC is a pretty safe city to be in. Hope we can hold out until that day might come.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM

263 posts, read 798,463 times
Default Question

We are coming up to visit my Mother in Law in SW MI during the Labor Day holiday. I am thinking we might enjoy visiting Traverse City and wondered besides shopping if there would be anything for us to do. There will be me and my husband and our 2.5 yr old Grandson as well as our 79 yr old MIL.

I REALLY REALLY want to go to apple houses, get MI Maple syrup, apples and cider. Will the beginning of September be too early for that?!? I'm thinking we would drive up and spend the night and drive back down late the next day.

Things we are not interested in doing on this trip is would be movie theatres or museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan