Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:16 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times

Advertisements

Everytime I look at a map of Michigan I see Beaver Island out there in the middle of Northern Lake Michigan. More than 25 miles from the mainland.What is it like being one of the rare places within the confines of the USA that isnt able to see the mainland? What is the scenery like there? Are people friendly there? How is the economy?

just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:37 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
gdude, if you ever get the chance to go there, do it, it's a great place. Nice beaches, nice little town, just all around nice place. A few years back I remember the main electric cable that runs under Lake Michigan to the island was severed, don't remember how, and the whole island was out of power for most the winter. They ran short of fuel for the generators and had to have more flown over. It was a hard winter for them. The school system there is rated as one of, if not the, best in the state. The ferry runs out of Charleviox, but the closest point is from Cross Village. At one time, many years ago, they would drive across the ice from Cross Village to deliver mail. I know a guy that his brother did that run, and said it was one scary drive, but big money for the time.

One more note of interest, Beaver Island was the USA's only kingdom. There was/is lots of Mormon's there.

The Cross Village is my old stomping grounds. Eat at Legs Inn if you ever get up there.

Last edited by Nephler; 05-10-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Add the kingdom part

Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM

I will definelty have to put Beaver Island on one of my places to visit before I die after reading your input!

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM

56 posts, read 195,063 times
My old teacher has a cabin on Beaver Island. I think I remember her talking about the severed electrical cable once, must have been scary for the year round residents..

Can you see shore from the island?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Beaver Island from the map is atleast 40km out from the mainland so I dont think you can see the mainland.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM

56 posts, read 195,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Beaver Island from the map is atleast 40km out from the mainland so I dont think you can see the mainland.
huh pretty cool

Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Yes you can see shore, mainly the Cross Village area is what you see. It does have to be a fairly clear day though.

This whole area, I know like the back of my hand.

Last edited by Nephler; 05-11-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff :)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

8 posts, read 37,358 times
Hello Posters!

I am from Beaver Island and while I don't live there now, I lived there for almost ten years. I had a business (I'm a chef) and now my sister and her husband (a tugboat captain for the island) live there now. I consider this place home and try to get back anytime I can. Beaver Island is wonderful! The beaches have white sugar sand, the water is blue like the Caribbean and you don't have to worry about any unfortunate critters in the water like sharks, jellyfish or crabs, etc.

There are that many Mormons left on the island, the Irish made sure of that. There are many Irish families on the island that can trace their history back to a small island off of Ireland- it's our sister island- Arranmore. Beaver Island is RICH with history and is a fascinating place to visit and live. The people are remarkable friendly. It is a perfect place to get away and just melt into the scenery. Autumn is a gorgeous time to be there. There are several great restaurants on the island... The Beaver Island Lodge, Stoney Acre Grill and the Shamrock. You can get to the island by ferry (almost 2 hours) or by plane (20 minutes). Both are beautiful ways to approach the island.

There are several wonderful festivals on the island... The Bite of Beaver Island in October, The Celtic Festival in September, The Baroque Festival in July among many others.

I know I sound like the chamber of commerce sent me, but I'm really just a displaced inhabitant of the island (in order to be a true Islander, you have to have been born there or raised there since a little child), who misses it very much.

If you go, hope you have a wonderful time!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times
Oh wow! You've made me want to visit. I need a 2010 calender so I can remind myself of the Celtic Festival on Beaver Island next year. I would go this year but we have a newborn.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,223 times
How much does it cost to live there? I know it’s obviously a huge price range for a vague question but is it a lot more than living on the mainland. I have been thinking of moving there with my two kids. Thanks for any help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan