Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Are you sure? Is that recent news (this week or something)? The last I read, Hemlock was expanding here ($1.2 Billion expansion) and in Clarksville.

Hemlock Semiconductor starts construction of new US$1.2 billion polysilicon plant - Photovoltaics International
I am sure. I did not know until Sunday. Their major contractor is trying to be out in 60 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am sure. I did not know until Sunday. Their major contractor is trying to be out in 60 days.
I find nothing online about it. It seems like Dow and Hemlock would be raising hell about the power plant if it jeopardized their investment.

I did find this. Looks like things aren't so rosy in Clarksville, TN for Hemlock:

TCPR: $1.1B bond issue not right for Tennessee - Memphis Business Journal:

Looks like Tennessee is digging themselves a massive hole of bonds and tax credits to lure companies like VW and Hemlock. A hole that they probably won't get out of.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I find nothing online about it. It seems like Dow and Hemlock would be raising hell about the power plant if it jeopardized their investment.

I did find this. Looks like things aren't so rosy in Clarksville, TN for Hemlock:

TCPR: $1.1B bond issue not right for Tennessee - Memphis Business Journal:

Looks like Tennessee is digging themselves a massive hole of bonds and tax credits to lure companies like VW and Hemlock. A hole that they probably won't get out of.
I did not hear this on line. Give it a few weeks.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I did not hear this on line. Give it a few weeks.
I understand you didn't hear it online. But I also know contractors and subcontractors do a lot of talking. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just skeptical. Why would they make a decision to invest $1.2 Billion to produce 13,400 more tons of polycrystalline if they weren't assured that power supplies would be available? Especially since it takes 3 - 4 years to build a power plant? Also, the state kicked in several hundred million in tax credits to help HSC pay for electricity, so the price and availability of electric power would seem to be off the table. Maybe their major contractor wants out for other reasons.

I find it ironic that a plant that makes polycrystalline for solar cells might be jeopardized by the cancellation of a coal power plant. Apparently Michigan's thrust into the alternative energy industry is just...talk (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan