Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,873,215 times

Advertisements

After being away for a while, the things I LOVE about Michigan are: (In no particular order)
1) Water! Even though I lived in Maine for years, I always missed the amount of water Michigan has.
2) Sunsets over Lake Michigan.
3) Sunrises over Lake Huron.
4) 4 seasons, none of which are long enough you get sick of them.
4) Fruit and Veggies! Live away for a while and you will know what I am saying. The abundance of fresh fruit and veggies is astounding, as are the cheap prices for them.
5) Trees. Tall majestic trees, as well as short "scrub" types.
6) The people. Not fake, not put-on; just overall a "what you see, is what you get" attitude. reserved, yet very warm and friendly.
7) Sports at all levels are competitive, but yet not of the winning is EVERYTHING mind set. A good, solid, 100% effort is appreciated as a win. Sportsmanship is alive and well here. (Even though the Lions stink on ice, they still played all 16 games, not well, but they didn't just give up)
8) Neighbors will still help each other
9) Public Schools are generally very good. Live away and see first hand the condition and curriculum at most State's public school systems, appalling when compared to Michigan's.
10) For me personally a sense of "Home". Family has lived in this area since the town had a main street. We have lived and died in this general area for close to 140 years. Most leave at one point, but also most return later after seeing the world and what is out "there". The feeling of watching all 4 sons play baseball on the SAME fields I did, and their Grandfather did, can't be bought.
11) Living where others have to save up and plan on spending a week or two. While Fudgies can be annoying, I just look at all the different license plates and have to remind myself they didn't come to cut me off in their car, or cause downtown to swell beyond it's limits it seems. They saved, and came to enjoy an area I get to see every single day and should be aware of how lucky we are. To hear someone who was born by the Atlantic coast stand on "My" beach and exclaim that it is the most beautiful place they have ever seen, sends a smile to my face and a warmth through my whole being. I have seen someone who grew up looking at the Maine Coast, crown a dune and hold her hands up to her face and actually cry on her first sight of Lake Michigan because she felt it was so stunning.

We get to live here! Look around, sure the economy is in the toilet, but it is in most of the Country also. We should all LOVE our state. Not to say we should all say it is easy, but what we have and mostly take for granted is NOT out there in the same way it is here. We are the lucky ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 PM

78 posts, read 243,059 times
You guys are making me homesick.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:27 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,639 times
What do we love about Michigan? We came from LI 5 years ago so just about everything:
1) Four great, distinct seasons although a month less of winter would be ok.
2) Friendly unpretentious people for the most part.
3) Unequaled natural beauty, only thing we don't have is mountains.
4) Lake Michigan, Grand Traverse Bay (which you can drink out of).

I could go on and on but you get the idea. The ONLY things I miss living up here are my family ( but they're so wrapped up in their lives that we hardly saw them anyway ) and the food. Fortunately my wife & I are excellent cooks but I miss the quality and variety of food back east. Being able to go to a family owned deli or pizzeria and getting a veal parmigiana hero on "real" Italian bread, a couple of slices of Grandma's pizza, homemade rice balls, etc, etc. A place like this D&F Italian Deli - Review of D&F Italian Deli in Astoria, Queens Going to a bagel place and getting lox & cream cheese on an everything bagel right out of the oven. A real bialy. I could go on but I realize those are big city items and everyone sacrifices something every day. Me, it's the food. For instance, I went into Bay Bread Co. in Traverse City yesterday because I made sausage and peppers for dinner and wanted to make heros. I asked for an Italian bread and they handed my an uncut loaf of white bread
Still, we love living here

Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM

92 posts, read 367,375 times
What do I love about MI, the lakes, the trees, Almond Boneless chicken, can't seem to find it any where else. Arabic food, Pasties, Mackinaw Island, The UP, Belle Isle, My very special place Lake Superior.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,696,464 times
I just love Michigan. Everything that everyone has mentioned previously. I love the people. We moved here in December so we havent experienced the 4 seasons here, but we cant wait. Being near the water is the best...no wait...the lakes..no....the sand...awww heck, all of it is the best. I'm proud to call Michigan our home.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 PM

13 posts, read 62,347 times
Time with my family
All the water. Elk Lake in particular.
Beautiful scenery everywhere, even on some of the interstates.
So many fun small towns to explore.
WINE!!!
Campfires & s'mores
The home away from home feeling. Even though I don't live in Michigan, I still feel like its mine everytime I cross the state line.
Did I mention WINE??
The weather.
Natural beauty EVERYWHERE
friendly people
Faygo pop, (can't find in very easily in Indiana)
homemade goodies of all kinds (pies, fudge, jams...I couldn't go on and on)
cool gentle breezes
White Christmases
Gray squirells
and WINE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan