Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM

426 posts, read 1,282,699 times

Advertisements

I just saw on one of the local news channels, that DTE and Consumers are asking for an at least 11% rate increase. The reason is people are using less power and they need to improve the old lines, etc. The good thing they say is it will create more jobs.
Everytime I get a bill there are more and more taxes, charges and fees. When is this going to end.
Besdes these utilities fuel costs too are back to creeping up.
Common folk bare the brunt of thes increases and are having to sacrifice food, and medical just to pay the bills. According to the president, we all have to make sacrifices. Why don't the companies share in these sacrifices? Are they losing money? What about their CEO's?
It is very discouraging to know that with every incoming bill it is going to cost you more and you are going to have to give up a little of something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys View Post
I just saw on one of the local news channels, that DTE and Consumers are asking for an at least 11% rate increase. The reason is people are using less power and they need to improve the old lines, etc. The good thing they say is it will create more jobs.
Everytime I get a bill there are more and more taxes, charges and fees. When is this going to end.
Besdes these utilities fuel costs too are back to creeping up.
Common folk bare the brunt of thes increases and are having to sacrifice food, and medical just to pay the bills. According to the president, we all have to make sacrifices. Why don't the companies share in these sacrifices? Are they losing money? What about their CEO's?
It is very discouraging to know that with every incoming bill it is going to cost you more and you are going to have to give up a little of something else.
The carbon tax (that I think will happen) will increase prices on everything.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 PM

So what is the next tax coming up? Can they think of something else?

Paycheck
-rent or house payment+upkeep and insurance
-utilities
-food
-medical(insurance payments or cash paid for medical)
-auto(maintainence,insurance,fuel) or other transportation(bus or rail fare)
-clothing
-education expenses
-all sorts of taxes,taxes,taxes and more taxes, fees, fees and more fees.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
= What?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I am NOT trying to be counterproductive here at all, and I really detest the thought of increased utility bills as well as other steps it seems we are taking toward taxes, but... it really could be SO much worse than we have it here in Michigan. I've lived truly high taxes recently, and to tell the truth all my utility bills could double tomorrow and they would still be cheaper than where I lived in the Northeast (Plus the wages here are higher than there).

I don't want them to go us any though.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Default It's always darkest before the STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I am NOT trying to be counterproductive here at all, and I really detest the thought of increased utility bills as well as other steps it seems we are taking toward taxes, but... it really could be SO much worse than we have it here in Michigan. I've lived truly high taxes recently, and to tell the truth all my utility bills could double tomorrow and they would still be cheaper than where I lived in the Northeast (Plus the wages here are higher than there).

I don't want them to go us any though.

Exactly what we say now that we are living in North Carolina...We asked ourselves what could be worse?

We thought 'NOTHING COULD BE WORSE'

so we LEFT Michigan and loaded up our truck and moved to RALEIGH...

BUT PLEASE HAVE A JOB BEFORE YOU MOVE ANYWHERE!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Kathys..think its not LESS use of power by people...LESS PEOPLE to USE the POWER...

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Default utilities

In the past I had thought of moving to either North or South Carolina. Are you guys saying that the utilities are worse there than here? I know the sales tax is higher and they rax food.I think the gas is cheaper than here, as well as auto insurance.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
this is great news! I always felt uncomforatble about how much I was paying for power and gas. It just did nto seem like it was enough. They should be billing me at least half of my monthly paycheck for things to be fair.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 PM

293 posts, read 849,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Exactly what we say now that we are living in North Carolina...We asked ourselves what could be worse?

We thought 'NOTHING COULD BE WORSE'

so we LEFT Michigan and loaded up our truck and moved to RALEIGH...

BUT PLEASE HAVE A JOB BEFORE YOU MOVE ANYWHERE!
Are you saying that moving to North Carolina turned out to be worse than MI, or that you moved knowing that MI was about as bad as it gets (and you were right)?

I realize I'm a bit off-topic here, but just was wondering what you meant!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Sorry bout the confusion..

As teachers we thought to ourselves--What could be worse than Michigan>?

We reasoned NOTHING could be worse than Michigan..(this is as bad as it gets)

So we LEFT and very HAPPILY set up home in North Carolina..LOVING IT..(we were right)

And ask WHY DIDN'T WE LEAVE SOONER ??

There is life everywhere outside of Michigan. I know that sounds cliche`. But we just cannot figure out WHY the great state is dying.

Sometimes hope and prayers are as influential as a wayward governor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan