Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 07:40 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times

Advertisements

Happend to be thinking the other day about how many people are arrested on a average night for DUI, each one of them recieves 1200 in fines (avg. statewide for court), 2000 "driver responsability" among other costs in probation and therapy. Now, aside from the morality of this issue, Michigan is one of the ONLY states that has such high costs. Ofcourse, it is wrong to drink and drive and those who do it should be punished. But many who do are not kill or are really that drunk. Many police wait outside of bars. Not only are these fines a good way to impoversh more people and potentially make them loose their jobs, but where the hell is the money going? Mind you, michigan has one of the highest drinking/driving rates in the U.S., and one of the highest ratios of people driving on suspended licsence. Many people dont realize the magnatude of this issue, and some believe it to be bigger than our economic mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 AM

262 posts, read 787,918 times
Default Hey State Reps from Detroit and Highland Park drive on Suspended licenses

There was a articles(Sunday Free Press03/25/2007) about two State Reps both Democrats that have been driving on suspended licenses for sometime on. also the guy from Highland Park is an ex convict who did time for armed robbery. The thing with DUI and suspended licenses is it's all a MONEY GAME! my girlfriend had her driver's license suspended for Medical reason(Epilipsy) at this time it will cost her $1,750.00 to reinstate her license. the kicker is she can't get a job because of her Epilipsy and the State won't even give her a chance to get this all cleared up.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
I guess I feel differently about the laws since a) I don't ever drink and drive. Actually, I don't really drink. b) I was seriously injured in two accidents in which the other driver was seriously over the legal blood alcohol level. c) The injuries I had still affect me today, but at least they helped me find yoga

I just don't think there's any reason to drink and drive. I really don't understand why people can't call for a ride or take a taxi. If you can afford to buy a lot of drinks in a bar, then, you can afford a cab. This makes more sense than putting other people's lives and health in danger.

Sorry to sound so militant, but until you've been affected by someone else's drinking and driving, it's hard to understandn for some people.

I'm not against drinking. I'm against drinking and driving. It's just wrong!

I also believe our state does have high fees and fines, but I shudder to think what the situation would be like if we didn't have strict laws and penalties on drinking and driving.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
I won't even have a single drink if I know that I'm going to be driving soon. If I do, then I'd want to wait two hours or so before getting into the car. I don't like drunk driving anymore than anyone else, but I am very concerned about the ratcheting down of the blood alcohol levels for the offense. It's getting to the point where even minor social drinking after work is becoming de facto illegal.

Three months ago I was pulled over merely because a cop wanted to do a drunk driving check. Nopers, I was wide awake so he had to let me go since I hadn't done anything other than perhaps drive too slowly for his tastes on a rainy night. That bothered me since I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong as he was pulling me over. I thought it was an invasion of privacy and if someone ended up getting pulled over and given a DUI in a similar situation, I'd suggest they use a defense of lack of probable cause, assuming that the cops have to have a reason to pull you over.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
assuming that the cops have to have a reason to pull you over.
For example, DWO: Driving While in Ohio

Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 77,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Happend to be thinking the other day about how many people are arrested on a average night for DUI, each one of them recieves 1200 in fines (avg. statewide for court), 2000 "driver responsability" among other costs in probation and therapy. Now, aside from the morality of this issue, Michigan is one of the ONLY states that has such high costs. Ofcourse, it is wrong to drink and drive and those who do it should be punished. But many who do are not kill or are really that drunk. Many police wait outside of bars. Not only are these fines a good way to impoversh more people and potentially make them loose their jobs, but where the hell is the money going? Mind you, michigan has one of the highest drinking/driving rates in the U.S., and one of the highest ratios of people driving on suspended licsence. Many people dont realize the magnatude of this issue, and some believe it to be bigger than our economic mess.

Madd Mothers and The Media have People so scared and Brainwashed That no
one here or anywhere else will touch this issue with a 10 foot pole.

Madd Mothers=Hysterical, hate-filled, misguided, Most NAZI like, Totalitarian Group in the World...

Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 AM

5 posts, read 14,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryDriver View Post
Madd Mothers and The Media have People so scared and Brainwashed That no
one here or anywhere else will touch this issue with a 10 foot pole.

Madd Mothers=Hysterical, hate-filled, misguided, Most NAZI like, Totalitarian Group in the World...
Oh my gosh. "Mystery Driver" What a joke. Your are really a moron. I hope you realize what a douchebag you are.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,041 times
Quote:
For example, DWO: Driving While in Ohio
Hee hee! That was good humor

Old 03-30-2007, 02:43 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
Mystery Driver,

I agree with you.

KSimmons,

I believe you should be banned from this site for an obvious and clear personal attack on the above poster. I think your post was WAY out of line. I was deeply offended to see this name-calling and attack. Read the rules and allow people to state their opinions. The rest of us enjoy freedom of speech and while we may disagree, we don't resort to personal attacks on each other.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:22 AM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Default Just the problem......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I won't even have a single drink if I know that I'm going to be driving soon. If I do, then I'd want to wait two hours or so before getting into the car. I don't like drunk driving anymore than anyone else, but I am very concerned about the ratcheting down of the blood alcohol levels for the offense. It's getting to the point where even minor social drinking after work is becoming de facto illegal.

Three months ago I was pulled over merely because a cop wanted to do a drunk driving check. Nopers, I was wide awake so he had to let me go since I hadn't done anything other than perhaps drive too slowly for his tastes on a rainy night. That bothered me since I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong as he was pulling me over. I thought it was an invasion of privacy and if someone ended up getting pulled over and given a DUI in a similar situation, I'd suggest they use a defense of lack of probable cause, assuming that the cops have to have a reason to pull you over.
Traffic cops are trained to weed out people with certain driving characterisitics, and zone in on them. Conversly, for the people who are responsable, have 2 drinks and leave, then get arrested. Well, thats a problem, now they face 1500 in fines to the court and 2000 to the state and 6 points on their record. This seriously impovershes people who cannot afford the fines, and sets them up for more targeting such as driving on susupended, or without insurance. I agree that responsability is key, but they know people are going into bars to drink.....a simple solution is in Florida. If your caught with a high level of alch, your car is auctioned off, no exceptions, and they get the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan