Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2007, 02:55 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,963,835 times

Advertisements

I've seen some posters say that Rochester, not Rochester Hills, is really going into a slump as far as saling homes. Why?

I am really looking at that area and it seemed very nice for my family and myself, the schools seemed decent and the area nice. Someone please enlighten me, What's happening on Rochester. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM

800 posts, read 4,300,612 times
Rochester has more older homes. All of my friends who live in Rochester area picked Rochester Hills due to the newer construction 'cause that is what they wanted.

However, Rochester and Rochester Hills are so close in proximity so you wouldn't even notice much of a difference really living in either as far as quality of life, etc.

Maybe you can find some bargain though in Rochester right now. We almost moved there 7 years ago, but opted for a different area, but I've kept current with the housing costs there, etc. because I'm curious and well, it's one of my favorite areas in Michigan. To me, Rochester/Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, and Ann Arbor are the most desirable places to live in southeastern Michigan...All have great ammenities and different advantages.

Shelby Twp. is a great alternative to Rochester if you want to have lower taxes...Macomb County has lower taxes as well as more house for your money. However, the housing market has shifted things so best to really research and get an agent that knows the areas really, really well, etc.

Hope this helps...Also, hope you consider Rochester

Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 AM

111 posts, read 485,581 times
Both Rochester and Rochester Hills are in a housing slump that is catastrophic. Huge homes selling for $150-200K.

The primary reason is Rochester is off the beaten path all things considered. Another reason is Rochester was a classic example of an area not justifying their housing price increase. A lot of people there took out interest only mortgages and have been defaulting.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM

800 posts, read 4,300,612 times
I also read some place that Michigan leads the nation in appraisal fraud. I think we're also up there with foreclosures.

Really though, Rochester and Rochester Hills are nice areas geographically to live if you work in Auburn Hills or any of the northern suburbs in Oakland or Macomb County. You're near M-59 and I-75 and it's easier to get out than say Waterford or W. Bloomfield, etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:52 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,905,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboState View Post
Both Rochester and Rochester Hills are in a housing slump that is catastrophic. Huge homes selling for $150-200K.

The primary reason is Rochester is off the beaten path all things considered. Another reason is Rochester was a classic example of an area not justifying their housing price increase. A lot of people there took out interest only mortgages and have been defaulting.
Are you in Troy?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,239,224 times
This thread seems to be from before the housing crisis...

Still going down quite a bit...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan