Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

35 posts, read 97,094 times

Advertisements

We looking to relocate in about 2 years, granted things improve. We like the holland area (i like west ottawa hs, not holland city schools) and I have read several posts recommending the Grand Haven area. Which is the better of the two for a young family? Are there others areas that would be worth checking out?

our criteria is simple, in order of importance...
1. good public schools w/ strong athletic programs
2. community close to the lake (within 5 min, preferably walking distance)
3. affordable housing, preferably not cookie-cutter subdivisions (200k for 3 bdrm)
4. close (within 15 min drive) to lots of restaurants and entertainment, fun atmosphere
5. low violent crime, property crime isn't as big of an issue

also, we don't have the be right downtown, rural is okay as long as we are close to civilization and still within the lines of the preferable school districts.

i am just curious what locals view as the pros/cons/of these and surrounding towns. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Like was mentioned before, school district lines in Michigan are a relative thing because we have school of choice. Your physical address may not be on a preferred schools bus routes, or in the district, but you can pick the school you want your children to attend. I have a friend that lives in Holland and has children, they really like it there. (Both the city and the schools.) It is NOT like the northeast where it about takes an act of God to have your child attend a different school district. Here it takes a piece of paper basically.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Here is one of a few videos that shows some of the beauty of the Holland area.
Holland Video - Holland Michigan

Old 03-09-2009, 05:38 PM

I had to smile when you said it takes an act of God to switch schools in the northeast. That's where we're from and it's horrible! That's a great option to be able to send your kids anywhere. Thank you, that's great to know, I wish they'd adopt school choice here, although it wouldn't be enough to keep us here.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,742 times
That other video is basically about the annual Tulip Festival. Here's the new "Move to Holland! video.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,826 times
I have to laugh whenever I see that video. Not because I think it is clever, or that Holland is so wonderful, but because my experiences there have been quite different. I think part of the reason they came out with the video was to shadow the fact that a lot of the rest of the state thinks of Holland as the land of the dutch. I too would love to believe the items mentioned in the video, but have had far different experiences not allowing me to do so.
With that being said quietmum, you seem a perfect fit based on the criteria you selected for either area.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 AM

Those with Dutch ancestry in Holland, MI are in the minority these days. Even so, ALL of Holland's ethnic groups are valued and contribute to the wonderful diverse community that we are. The ONE thing the video doesn't show is WINTER!!! (it was produced last fall) ;-)

Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the input! I like Holland and all the area has to offer, but I think I'm leaning toward Grand Haven and Norton Shores for their schools. Holland is close enough for visiting when we feel like it. I can't wait to come visit. We are hoping to rent a home out for a week at next yr to get a feel of the areas. Is there any time of year (not peak summer) you would recommend?

I also have to mention that we watched the Holland video. I think its made very well and there were plenty of great things to say and see about the area. I also speculate that its not entirely accurate and things aren't that picture perfect anywhere you live. I live in Vermont and know first hand its not aways as great as the brochures make it out to be. (true everywhere I suppose!) I'd like to see more info on winter, the majority of the info out there is geared toward tourism in the summer.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Quietmum: Winter is long and snowy. That can be said for much of West Michigan though. The trick is to learn to enjoy it. Snowshoes, cross-country skiis, ice skating, etc.... those are diversions enjoyed by 1,000s of people and make winter fun (at least until March.. it alternated between blazing sunshine and blustery snow today).

Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM

60 degrees at 10 pm last night....23 degrees at 10am today. brrrrrrr.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan