Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 AM

222 posts, read 810,912 times

Advertisements

Sorry if the term offends anyone, but that is how I have always heard the area around MSU where a majority of students who live off campus reside. I have lived in Lansing more than 20 years, but not in EL, so I am not sure where this area might be or if it even really exists.

Anyone from EL able to offer a little guidance as to where this area (by street name) begins and ends? Better yet, what areas of EL are NOT dominated by students, but not way out? (I know someone who is moving to EL and wants to buy a house close to campus.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:27 AM

87 posts, read 255,048 times
There aren't really any "ghetto" areas in EL. Across from campus, from Albert St down to Grand River across to Hagadorn, those are all students homes, and then the further you head back from Albert towards Saginaw, the student dwellings thin out. In fact, once you get north of Linden, there are some really nice homes back there. West of Abbott, there are a few areas where a lot of students live, but again, they thin out quick and there are some really nice homes in the Kensington area.

If I was going to live in EL and still wanted to be close to campus but not in with students and had the money, I would shoot for the homes just south of Burcham, near Collingwood and Butterfield or over west of Harrison by Audobon, Kensington, Wildwood, and South/Northlawns. A lot of really nice older homes in that area. There are also some fairly nice homes just east of Hagadorn, off Cahill and Ann Sts as well.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM

222 posts, read 810,912 times
Default Thanks

I realize the use of the term "ghetto" does not appropriately describe ANY area in East Lansing. It was more to describe the area I thought (or heard) existed near campus that was dominated by student rental housing.

Your information was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Spartan Village or the Apartments on the other side of Hagadorn from the campus, maybe? I used to go to parties over there when I went to MSU and lived on the Phillips side of Phillips/Snyder dorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan