Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,361 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have been renting a house in the Lansing area for two years now (on Foster between Michigan and Saginaw). We really like the area and are looking to buy a home in Lansing.

I grew up in Grand Ledge and would prefer to buy there, but we both commute and that adds 25 minutes to each of our drives. We also really like the restaurants, shopping, theatres, etc. in the Lansing/East Lansing area.

I'm hoping to learn a little bit more about what the crime is like in some areas. I've looked at the Lansing Police Dept. crime statistics map, but you can't easily break it down by crime type, or look at long periods of time.

Does anyone know much about what the area near Ionia St. (between MLK and Capital) is like? This used to be a not-so-great area, but the houses are a mixture now: lots of nice renovated Victorians, some offices, some rentals, etc.

Is this an area where I'd want to worry about being home at night by myself? Any info would be helpful!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

32 posts, read 107,087 times
I don't think that area is super bad. But I wouldn't want to live anywhere near the capital personally. At least stay north of Mt. Hope if you are west of 127. Have you thought about commuting from Okemos or that area near the Eastwood Towncenter? If I was buying a house, those would be the places I would look. Not many students, and very very safe.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM

79 posts, read 418,372 times
Have you driven through the Westside Nieghborhood? Take MLK and Oakland South to Genesee Drive and turn right. You will be sold.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 125,216 times
it is the best time to house hunting plenty of forclosed houses on the market these days ,we just bought a house in Brownstown for 55k,the house was listed for 99.900 when we first saw it , a month later they droped the price at 49.900, the highest bidder got the house.So go for it , I am sure you guys will find the perfect house.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM

87 posts, read 255,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieoz View Post
Have you driven through the Westside Nieghborhood? Take MLK and Oakland South to Genesee Drive and turn right. You will be sold.
2nd this. Either the old homes surrounding Sexton or the beautiful homes in the Moore's River neighborhood would be the two areas I would hunt for a house if I was going to live in Lansing. Both areas have excellent old homes that most of which are in great shape and are really beautiful. Both are in safe areas as well, it can get dicey the closer you live toward MLK, but back near SHS there are some great streets with super nice homes on them. I'm sure prices have fallen big time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan