Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 06:35 PM

336 posts, read 908,733 times

Advertisements

Okay I know I'm really reaching here since no one is hiring in this state, but does anyone have any suggestions about alternative employment for teachers? Since the schools aren't hiring I have to do something besides subbing; it just doesn't pay the bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:46 PM

52 posts, read 292,446 times
A new Charter school is opening up in Canton fall 2009, it's a National Heritage one and will be called "Achieve Academy". Not sure when they will start hiring the teachers, but the principle has just been assigned. In case your interested.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM

336 posts, read 908,733 times
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Okay I know I'm really reaching here since no one is hiring in this state, but does anyone have any suggestions about alternative employment for teachers? Since the schools aren't hiring I have to do something besides subbing; it just doesn't pay the bills.
Well if you have no other obligations I would consider relocation....one of my longtime friends just landed a full time staff position at a HS in Texas. Then again if moving is off the table I would look into anything you could qualify for in the med field possibly administrative tasks...

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,042 times
you can move anywhere east coast, west, south and get a teaching job, but trust me that is not for everyone!
I would recommend looking at museums, places that field trips go to often, they sometimes hire "educational coordinators" or interpretors or plain old educators............i was going to do that here in philly at a couple different places, the zoo or a children's museum, but ended up getting hired at a school
good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I'll second looking into charter schools. The pay's not great but it's better than subbing and if you're a new teacher, like me, it's experience.

Eastern Michigan is having their annual job fair the week after Easter. They have a list on line of which areas the different districts are hiring for.

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,735,425 times
Referencing the people who suggested moving- make sure to secure a job first. I do not know of 1 single place in the US who is really looking for teachers. I moved to the Charlotte NC area to teach a few years ago and am not facing a lay off. Schools everywhere are cutting back big time. I crack up when they list education of "recession-proof" job lists. Whatever.

I feel your pain about subbing. I worked a FT job in retail AND subbed full time for two years. I got fed up and moved. Now, I will likely be jobless again.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Referencing the people who suggested moving- make sure to secure a job first. I do not know of 1 single place in the US who is really looking for teachers. I moved to the Charlotte NC area to teach a few years ago and am not facing a lay off. Schools everywhere are cutting back big time. I crack up when they list education of "recession-proof" job lists. Whatever.

I feel your pain about subbing. I worked a FT job in retail AND subbed full time for two years. I got fed up and moved. Now, I will likely be jobless again.
Sorry to hear that. You do have to look at long term stability. That's the thing that keeps us here. I had three offers to interview out of state, immediately, after I applied to the Michigan job bank and they were all nice offers but the thought of uprooting my family, leaving my husband looking for work just to face unemployment in another year was too scary. My husband's job isn't going anywhere. They need him more in a bad economy than they do in a good one.

Education usually is recession proof. What's killing it this time is that teachers are not retiring. The retirement age for teachers is shifting from something in the mid 50's to the mid 60's. The combination of older teachers not leaving and loss of funding is a double whammy. They can't replace the expensive older teachers with younger less expensive ones right when they need to most. There is an initiative to get teachers to retire in Michigan. Not sure how much good it will do as teachers have always been one of our exports but it should make it a little easier for exerienced teachers if it's successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan