Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
You haven't been to Greenville in a very long time, have you? There are so many options for food that it is crazy, the dt area sort of reminds me of Seattle/Tacoma in that it seems like every other business is a restaurant. As far as it being conservative, I find the town to be a good mix.

Come back and visit again and see the changes.
I was coming at this from the stand point of a 25 year old , single Yankee.

Greenville area , and the North west SC highlands , is a great place for retirement folks. The trend to retire in the mid- south has been going on for some time. However , that still does not make these places great for young people from the North..... I have been to Greenville 3 years ago , last time. I have friends that live in the area. Places , like Asheville , Atlanta , and Knoxville are better suited for young people starting out in a new career .
Atlanta is expensive but there are jobs , , not so much in Asheville , maybe Knoxville is better middle ground, depending on your job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
Actually, Greenville is one of the best places for jobs in the country right now. This really is a pretty 'happening' place right now.

Asheville from what I am hearing is very expensive and the pay is low. Atlanta is one of those places that people either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be any sort of middle ground. Another place the origanal poster might check out is Nashville. The job market there is pretty good, the winters are mild, there is no state income tax, and in fact they have one of the lowest tax burdens of any state.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:57 PM

577 posts, read 1,903,297 times
SC has one of the highest unemployement rates in the country, greenville is one of the lowest in the state of SC but that does not say much, and it is no where near being one of the best in the country. Unemployment soars in Greenville and in South Carolina | GreenvilleOnline.com | The Greenville News ...Just some insight here from a person who grew up one of the the fastest growing counties in the country, Wake co in NC(Raleigh,Cary Durham) The secret was let out years ago and people have been flocking into the area for years, so yes there is lots of population growth. The problem is that the jobs are not here and never really were. retirees and people who cashed out on homes at the right time did well and and banked money, but thats over now. this area has gone up in regards cost of housing while other areas have been deflating so the picture has changed. Raleigh was big for IT and now that is laying off. Its gonna be bad here going forward for folks needing to work same in SC,not as bad as Mich but you never know lots of people moving down all needing jobs and there arent any. My advice avoid the trendy follow me like a moth to the flame states, and find the next hidden treasure and be ahead of the curve not behind it. Good luck

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM

119 posts, read 285,066 times
The south is pretty but I couldn't take the humid weather in the summer. I retire in 4 years and it looks like the west for me. Warmer winters and dry climate. Maybe Nevada, Utah.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Actually, Greenville is one of the best places for jobs in the country right now. This really is a pretty 'happening' place right now.

Asheville from what I am hearing is very expensive and the pay is low. Atlanta is one of those places that people either love or hate, there doesn't seem to be any sort of middle ground. Another place the origanal poster might check out is Nashville. The job market there is pretty good, the winters are mild, there is no state income tax, and in fact they have one of the lowest tax burdens of any state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
The south is pretty but I couldn't take the humid weather in the summer. I retire in 4 years and it looks like the west for me. Warmer winters and dry climate. Maybe Nevada, Utah.
Give NM a look . Great state, " land of Enchantment " Santa Fe ,area- Taos and points up north are very nice , and dry heat. Snow in winter. great skiing.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Give NM a look . Great state, " land of Enchantment " Santa Fe ,area- Taos and points up north are very nice , and dry heat. Snow in winter. great skiing.

Isn't that my line??

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,490,615 times
Well, I'm not thrilled about leaving home. But since I have to, I'm looking at Illinois, Iowa and the Rockies. (an odd combination, I know) I've heard Utah is an AMAZING place. So are Colorado and Idaho. But I also like the midwest. The culture the familiarity and proximity to my family and friends are important to me.

Not a fan of the south outside the bigger cities. Somehow, being an American History Teacher in South Carolina sounds...shall I say....awkward?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM

40 posts, read 126,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I moved to Durham, NC from Hazel Park, MI and love it. It has everything you're looking for, and I hear Asheville, NC is similar...but you're not going to find great employment out there (or so I hear). Durham is much better because it has RTP (google!) nearby.
I've heard nothing but good things from everybody who lived/lives in NC, but i'm trying to avoid that state in particular due to my career choice. I'm graduating optometry school in May, and it is very difficult to get a state license for NC. They only grant a small number of licenses each year, and i'd rather not deal with the headache, as most other states will be relatively easy to find a job opportunity.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM

40 posts, read 126,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I was coming at this from the stand point of a 25 year old , single Yankee.

Greenville area , and the North west SC highlands , is a great place for retirement folks. The trend to retire in the mid- south has been going on for some time. However , that still does not make these places great for young people from the North..... I have been to Greenville 3 years ago , last time. I have friends that live in the area. Places , like Asheville , Atlanta , and Knoxville are better suited for young people starting out in a new career .
Atlanta is expensive but there are jobs , , not so much in Asheville , maybe Knoxville is better middle ground, depending on your job search.
Thanks for your input. I am definitely looking for a place that will be suited for the mid-twenties/early thirties age group. Somewhere that has a decent nightlife is a must. I don't think i would be happy in a place that was mainly a retirement spot, although...more old folks might be good for business

Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,972,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Well, I'm not thrilled about leaving home. But since I have to, I'm looking at Illinois, Iowa and the Rockies. (an odd combination, I know) I've heard Utah is an AMAZING place. So are Colorado and Idaho. But I also like the midwest. The culture the familiarity and proximity to my family and friends are important to me.

Not a fan of the south outside the bigger cities. Somehow, being an American History Teacher in South Carolina sounds...shall I say....awkward?
Why in the world would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan