Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start a thread on the positives of what to do and see in Flint/Flint-Metro.

I'm asking for posts that highlight good restaraunts and places for family to do recreational things.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the Fint area.

Thanks in advance,

B.G.F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM

87 posts, read 255,077 times
There's always Frankenmuth, or Birch Run for shopping and some fun activities.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Personally, I do not think there are a whole lot of recreational family type things to do, but there are tons of great places to shop and eat, which I guess are family things. The best area is the Miller rd., Linden rd. area, which has Pretty much any kind of restaurant you can think of, with Chilis, Red-Robbins, Olive Garden, Outback steakhouse, and too many more to mention. Also have the Genessee valley mall which is fun to go and hang out. I live about 15 min. away, so i enjoy going there as often as I can.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliteration View Post
There's always Frankenmuth, or Birch Run for shopping and some fun activities.
Yeah, we went to Birch Run a few days ago. Some good stores with deals and other stores are just plain old hyped up retail stores.

We've been going to Frankenmuth for some time now. That place is a jewel for Michiganders.

We've been meaning to go to Tony's in Birch Run, but never got around to it. I hear you get alot of food for your money. Can't wait to go....

Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 PM

Does anyone ever go to the drive-in at Burton?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Personally, I do not think there are a whole lot of recreational family type things to do, but there are tons of great places to shop and eat. Pretty much any kind of restaurant you can think of. Also have the Genessee valley mall which is fun to go and hang out. I live about 15 min. away, so i enjoy going there as often as I can.
Could you name off some restaurants (if you don't mind) so i can keep my eye out for 'em.

The Genessee Valley Mall is east of Flint, right?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,148 times
Flint? What a dump. LOL

Good luck finding stuff to do around there. Maybe tour the abandon neighborhoods or see the crumbling auto industry.

Huckleberry Railroad is right there for the kids. Kids love the train ride.

Good places to fish all around there too. I think you were the guy asking about fishing a while back.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Flint? What a dump. LOL

Good luck finding stuff to do around there. Maybe tour the abandon neighborhoods or see the crumbling auto industry.

Huckleberry Railroad is right there for the kids. Kids love the train ride.

Good places to fish all around there too. I think you were the guy asking about fishing a while back.
Yes, i was the one who asked about the fishing in the U.P. Thanks for more leads!...

I've been to Flint-downtown a few times and it seemed alright. It had a bit of collection of stores and restaurants in downtown proper. OTOH, i've been to that hospital (Hurley) in Flint and that looked like a dump everywhere you turn your head. It's no wonder how anyone ever finds that place being from out of town.

I'll take in the Huckleberry Railroad place as i often see the sign for it, just never thought it'd be something for the kids to do. Don't know why...

Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Could you name off some restaurants (if you don't mind) so i can keep my eye out for 'em.

The Genessee Valley Mall is east of Flint, right?
No, it is west of downtown. besides the restaurants I named, I cant think of all of them They have opened some by the mall also recently.
All of Flint is not a dump like the one guy says. Of course there are large areas of "dumpy" spots, but its not like you have to go there and hang out. I mostly go there to shop because of places like Toys R Us, Lowes, the mall, Gander mountain, Best Buy, Circuit City, many book stores like Borders I think which has the little live band/coffee area in there.
there is also Pirates park, but kinda run down if you ask me.
West of Flint is the Shiawassee river which has some of the best smallmouth fishing in the state. It runs just down the road from me.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 PM

86 posts, read 456,784 times
I've been to the Miracle Twin in Burton... still runs every summer... still love it! I have been around it all my life so it is strange to me to go someplace that doesn't have a drive-in.

I live downtown. Where I live isn't so bad but just a little further north and yeah, that's not someplace where you want to be walking around... day or night.

I don't get out much and I am a little more into artsy/cultural stuff... not so much fishing There are usually exhibits to be seen in the Flint Institute of Arts (within the cultural center), Red Ink Studios, and every 2nd Friday of the month, the Greater Flint Arts Council has an Art Walk.

I also love going to the Flint Farmer's Market. They're not open every day, but when they are, there are lots of good things to eat there... and the place just smells good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan