Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,774 times

Advertisements

Hi
Happy new yr to all. I am a regular visitor to the lansing forums . I have found the forums to offer genuine and sincere advice to people like me which is great.

I need advice . I have to move to east lansing in July 2009 to start a new job at MSU. I am glad about the move as it is an advancement in my career and I heard living is cheaper in east lansing. I think even though the economic situation is bad, there is a lot that lansing has to offer.

I am a 30 y/o professional, married and we have a baby daughter . Im looking to rent an apartment for now. Im looking for a place that is quiet and safe , a bit of greenery would help . I was considering the neighbourhoods on the west of Harrison road and north of Towbridge road. ( marigold ave / lilac avenue/ daisy lane / arbor drive / palmer lane / narcissus drive ) . I have heard good reviews of Arbor forest apartments ( Off palmer lane) . I would appreciate any advice about the neighbourhood .

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
If you don't mind a short commute, Owasso, is supposed to be a great place to raise a family.

Many people outside, etc.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 AM

Hi Mewith3thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your advice. Could you /or anybody please advice me about the area i mentioned, ie harrison and towbridge...is that safe ? thanks in advance!!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
The places you mentioned are safe but will be full of students and almost too close to campus. That's also the main road through campus (Harrison) and tends to be very congested, espcially with the basketball arena, Kellogg Center and other events that draw large crowds. I would go further north to Lake Lansing Road (easily accessible via Harrison, Abbott or Hagadorn and the neighborhoods in between). There are 3 really nice complexes that come to mind that are located near shopping, with sidewalks for bikes and strollers, near nice family neighborhoods and accessible to Route 69/78 and 127 without too much difficulty. Check out Carriage Hills, Old Farm or the Homestead Apartments. They tend to be less student friendly.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:33 PM

3 posts, read 35,402 times
I've lived in Cambria Townhomes (owned by DTN). It is just about 2 miles north of campus off Hagadorn. It's quiet and safe..not very many students that I know of...the rent isn't the greatest at just over $800 a month but the places do have a large basement for storage, a main floor, and then two bedrooms upstairs. I don't know anyone that lived in the area you mentioned.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,900 times
Yes those areas are full of students, but do have some family housing. I would not move there after reading your preferences. I would try the Tammany Hills area has apts. duplexes and condos. quiet, not too large , parks nearby, someplace you take a walk during warmer evenings. The rent is probably a little less then the areas you have mentioned and easy drive to MSU. Personally I like it more than the Cambria rentals but that is something you will need to check for yourself. If I can help any more let me know. I was a young single parent working full time and part time student so I can relate to your situation some.

Good luck

Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM

222 posts, read 810,814 times
Default Why Not Rent a House?

Just wondering why you are only considering an apartment. There are a lot of homes for sale right now sitting empty that might be interested in doing a lease-option. My guess is that you could get a fairly nice place (probably not in EL, but maybe on the east side of Lansing) for about what you would pay for an apartment. Call a couple of real estate offices and see what they say. Bet you would be surprised. The other bonus is that you would likely be further away from the students, but still within a good commute to work.

As to the earlier post, Owosso is a nice town, but the commute is a little more than "short" especially during the winter months. Gas is cheap now, but it will likely head higher and there are so many nice, closer places, I just wouldn't put it at the top of my list at this point. For a "short commute" you could look at areas such as Bath, Dewitt, Haslett, areas of NE Lansing near Eastwood Towne Center (Lake Lansing Road & US 127) or even Okemos. Depends on what type of lifestyle you are looking for.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Thank you mewith3 , teachbeach , mark1550 , skkelly and michiganbob for your responses. All your responses are very informative and helpful.

Teachbeach, I will definitely check out Carriage Hills, Old Farm and the Homestead Apartments.

Mark 1550, i will check out the cambria townhomes- $800 a month seems a bit more that i can afford, but large basement for storage, a main floor, and then two bedrooms upstairs seems attractive.

skkelly, I will also get in touch with Tammany Hills, I like a quiet place which is not too large with parks and a place where we can take a walk during warmer evenings!!

michiganbob , i would go for a rented house, but think that I can not afford them . Ive never rented a house yet ! always lived in rented apartments till now. Will definitely check them out if they are affordable.

thanks guys, this is a good starting point. I am grateful to all for taking the time to give me advice. Any further suggestions ?....

Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frommchicago View Post
michiganbob , i would go for a rented house, but think that I can not afford them . Ive never rented a house yet ! always lived in rented apartments till now. Will definitely check them out if they are affordable.

thanks guys, this is a good starting point. I am grateful to all for taking the time to give me advice. Any further suggestions ?....

I would definitely recommend renting a house, since there are several out there right now. There are many houses for rent (2-3 bdrms) for about $750/month. Check out craigslist!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
Thanks people. I am planning to move to Lansing by May 18 for a job and your comments are very helpful. Have a wonderful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan