Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 11:41 AM

9 posts, read 68,494 times

Advertisements

I have been (phone) interviewing for a position at the Aleda E Lutz VA Medical Center in Saginaw and I expect a decision in the next week. Should I be offered the position, things are going to happen fast and I would appreciate any input/advise offered. My wife and I are "middle aged", no kids at home, currently residing in California. I was born and raised in Michigan, but haven't lived there for many years. Reading other posts, Saginaw is not the place to live. If offered, I would jump at this job, it being something I would very much enjoy, so, the only question is where to live.
We intend on renting until we learn the area(s) and my main concern is commute times from some of the recommended "safe" areas, but ANY and ALL other related suggestions/comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

These are the areas we are considering based on other posts:
- Frankenmuth: about 17 mile commute
- Freeland: about 12 mile commute
- Hemlock: about 15 mile commute
- Saginaw Twp.: I could walk

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 57,301 times
I actually just got a job in Saginaw and I'm starting there next week. I found an apartment in Bay City though - it reminds me of the typical suburban town in Michigan with a bay in the middle. I asked around too on where to live and most people told me Bay City or Midland. (I picked Bay City because it was less of a drive.)

The other areas you've mentioned sounds good too but it just really depends on what you're looking for. I've never heard of Hemlock, but Freeland and Frankenmuth has more of small town feel. Saginaw Twp. is also good, but my parents still didn't feel right about me living on my own in Saginaw twp. (It's my first job right out of college) I don't think you should be walking to/from work if you work in Saginaw. It gets dark here earlier during the winter.

I would look into Bay City or Midland if I were you. I just don't think there would be that much to do in Freeland/Frankenmuth if you're a middle aged couple with no kids.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiris03 View Post
... I found an apartment in Bay City...
... really depends on what you're looking for...Saginaw Twp. is also good, but my parents still didn't feel right about me living on my own in Saginaw twp. ... I don't think you should be walking to/from work if you work in Saginaw.

I would look into Bay City or Midland if I were you. I just don't think there would be that much to do in Freeland/Frankenmuth if you're a middle aged couple with no kids.
Thank you for the response.
Bay City is about 16 miles, not too far. Do you have an idea of what the commute is like yet?

You say Saginaw Twp. is "good" but then you say "... not be walking". If it's not safe at night --- is the area safe in the day time? Perhaps best to be avoided altogether?

Hey, does it still snow in Michigan?
Thank you.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:51 PM

39 posts, read 122,895 times
Hi BKip yes it still snows Saginaw twp is not good night or day stay away, I lived in Chesaning for 12 years and now it going bad and quick. Bay city is good I wish you best of luck and all of Michigan. Frankenmuth as far as just me is to high priced for what you get nothing but high taxes and homes same as Chesaning you are paying for the name.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Refugee View Post
Hi BKip yes it still snows Saginaw twp is not good night or day stay away, I lived in Chesaning for 12 years and now it going bad and quick. Bay city is good I wish you best of luck and all of Michigan. Frankenmuth as far as just me is to high priced for what you get nothing but high taxes and homes same as Chesaning you are paying for the name.
Seems that Bay City is the way to go. I should be hearing, either tomorrow or early next week if I got the job.

Thank you for the response.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM

3 posts, read 21,207 times
I'm surprised that people think Saginaw Township is in any way dangerous. I would call it your typical middle class suburb. The very far eastern residential portion of the township near Carrollton is a little rundown (Carrollton itself is a poorer area), as is the very southern portion near the City of Saginaw, but the rest of the township is a very safe and uneventful place to live. There are plenty of McMansions in the northern and western portions of the township, if you care for that.

You might also try looking into Thomas Township/Shields, which is also another decent area not far from Saginaw. It's directly west of Saginaw Township.

Bay City is definitely a nicer place to live than the City of Saginaw, but I would say that on the whole, Saginaw Township is nicer than Bay City; it's certainly much wealthier. Besides having a much shorter commute (e.g., 5-10 minutes versus 25-30 minutes), you would be living in a metro area that's twice as large as Bay City's. You should consider the fact, though, that Saginaw Township is suburban while Bay City is urban in case you prefer living in one type over another.

Midland is about the same size as Bay City and is the nicest of the Tri-Cities, but you would be facing at least a 30-40 minute commute.

I hope you get the job! Good luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tada55 View Post
I'm surprised that people think Saginaw Township is in any way dangerous. I would call it your typical middle class suburb. The very far eastern residential portion of the township near Carrollton is a little rundown (Carrollton itself is a poorer area), as is the very southern portion near the City of Saginaw, but the rest of the township is a very safe and uneventful place to live.

...Saginaw Township is nicer than Bay City; it's certainly much wealthier.

...much shorter commute (e.g., 5-10 minutes versus 25-30 minutes)...

...Saginaw Township is suburban while Bay City is urban in case you prefer living in one type over another.
As noted, should I get the position, things will happen fast. Though we intend on eventually buying, in the beginning we will rent until we become much more familiar with the area. Based on the limited information I think Bay City would be the place to start.

An area with "mcmansions" is probably out of our price range anyways. A wealthy area is not what we are looking for... simply a nice "safe" area.

The wife definitely prefers urban to suburban. As far as commuting, its been MANY years since I had less than a 30 minute commute time (therefore not a significant factor within 20-40 minutes).

I should know soon,
Thank you very much.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 56,810 times
You say Saginaw Twp. is "good" but then you say "... not be walking". If it's not safe at night --- is the area safe in the day time? Perhaps best to be avoided altogether?

Hey, does it still snow in Michigan?
Thank you.[/quote]

Saginaw is not safe during the day or night. You ALWAYS want to lock your doors when driving. Always have keys available to get into vehicle as soon as you get to it (and lock them Immediately after). There are always bad things happening in Saginaw, day or night - doesn't matter.

Housing may be cheap there but not worth the hassle of the problems with violence and such that goes on. Also, if you live in Saginaw County, good luck getting help with anything if you need it. Saginaw has been going downhill for years but it's really bad right now. I have family there that wishes they could sell their homes and move because the crime rates have skyrocketed! It's pretty bad that many gas stations have bullet-proof glass to protect them from robbers (robberies & many other crimes happen quite often all over city - every day).

Choose your location carefully. Do research before just moving there. I live in Midland and yes there's crime that happens here, but you'll get crimes everywhere.

My advice would be to think of you and your wife's safety before anything else!

Good luck in your new home search. Have a wonderful day!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM

The job didn't pan out.
Thank you all that responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan