Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 12,674 times

Advertisements

My fiance recently got a job in Lansing - he just graduated college and this is his first job after searching for nearly a year (stupid economy.)

Anyway, we currently live in Grand Rapids; I'm *from* Grand Rapids and he's from Muskegon so neither of us know much about Lansing or where to look.

My dad's friend said we should stay south of 496 and west of 127 - but after looking at all of the apartments in that area on both rent.com and hearing the reviews of the area on ApartmentRating.com - I'm wondering if he was wrong; and also after seeing a few other threads on this website about that area being bad - I'm a bit confused.

His job is off 496 and N. Creyts road, right in that little area; but we're not really being picky about how close we are to his job as long as we're in a nicer area. We're willing to pay up to 750 or 800 a month if the place is really, REALLY nice.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Also - how good of a school is Lansing Community College? I went to GRCC for a few years because I originally couldn't afford Michigan State (which is where I was originally planning on going, and will go after I finish up my associates degree) - any info would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:38 PM

65 posts, read 123,177 times
that area is the fastest growing in the Lansing area,with many new homes and apts. LCC is very good.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,543 times
Have you considered moving to one of the smaller towns around Lansing? I live in Webberville, which is about 20 miles east of Lansing, and it's a pretty nice town. Williamston would be about 15 miles east of Lansing, too. There's also Okemos, East Lansing (MSU party town, though), DeWitt, Leslie, Mason, a whole bunch of close options if you're not sure about Lansing itself.

Also, I'm a student at Lansing Community College, and it's great. The administration there is awesome and if you ever need help with something, they're always willing to help. And, they're good at it! It's also a transfer college, so if you wanted to transfer to a 4 year university, LCC's credits are super easy to switch over.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 AM

188 posts, read 607,872 times
Welcome to Lansing. he he he... Don't say we didn't warn ya!

But seriously...

There are a few nice looking apartment/condo complexes just north of where he'll be working (GM supplier by chance?) on Creyts Rd. They are just north of Saginaw Hwy. Might be a good option. Very close to wally world, the fire/police, fresh produce market, fast food, and, of course, the cheaper hotels for when you get to quarreling - you can send him there. I lived at the Red Roof for the first three weeks I was here. lol - took a while to find a place that liked dogs as much as I do.

And yeah, you were right, the apartments on the south side are pretty ghetto. You'll be happier to the west of Waverly Rd and north of 496. Nice apartments behind the mall too - almost forgot those! They have a big park with a huge fishing pond. Pretty cool setup and you'll have everything you need right there.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM

222 posts, read 811,477 times
Default Apartments Off Canal Road

Not sure about the south of 496 and west of 127 advice, but given the area you are talking about, there are a couple of nice apartment complexes just west of there on Canal Road. If you are on 496, you take the Creyts Road exit and head north, then left on St. Joe (second light). The next light is Canal and if you turn right there are two or three apartment complexes in a row on the left hand side. Can't remember its name, but the first one on the left is probably the nicest. I think all should be in your price range.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:20 AM

188 posts, read 607,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
Not sure about the south of 496 and west of 127 advice, but given the area you are talking about, there are a couple of nice apartment complexes just west of there on Canal Road. If you are on 496, you take the Creyts Road exit and head north, then left on St. Joe (second light). The next light is Canal and if you turn right there are two or three apartment complexes in a row on the left hand side. Can't remember its name, but the first one on the left is probably the nicest. I think all should be in your price range.

Hope that helps!
Yep, those are the ones I was talking about, sorry about the misdirection.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,674 times
Fantastic. Those are actually the ones we're going to look at so I'm glad others are telling me those are good. Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,443 times
Lansing is a great city and LCC is a very good college. LCC works closely with Central, Ferris, and MSU for transfer purposes. You will get more for your money if you stay in the city. There are no "bad areas," just pockets here and there about a block or two long. The southwest side is the worse. Downtown is growing fast and has amazing housing options--Prudence Place, Stadium District, etc. They're a little more upscale, but not real expensive. Welcome to the city. I think you will love it here!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 25,037 times
Very near where he will be working is Tammany on the ponds apartments and I know those to be very affordable, clean and nice. Also that area is very close to the small city of Grand Ledge, Where I live VERY low crime, about 8-10 minutes to where he would be working, GL has great schools and very close to Lansing, but away from the busyness. There are also other very nice apartment complexes right off Creyts rd. Don't look in south lansing, thats just silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenneJoy View Post
My fiance recently got a job in Lansing - he just graduated college and this is his first job after searching for nearly a year (stupid economy.)

Anyway, we currently live in Grand Rapids; I'm *from* Grand Rapids and he's from Muskegon so neither of us know much about Lansing or where to look.

My dad's friend said we should stay south of 496 and west of 127 - but after looking at all of the apartments in that area on both rent.com and hearing the reviews of the area on ApartmentRating.com - I'm wondering if he was wrong; and also after seeing a few other threads on this website about that area being bad - I'm a bit confused.

His job is off 496 and N. Creyts road, right in that little area; but we're not really being picky about how close we are to his job as long as we're in a nicer area. We're willing to pay up to 750 or 800 a month if the place is really, REALLY nice.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Also - how good of a school is Lansing Community College? I went to GRCC for a few years because I originally couldn't afford Michigan State (which is where I was originally planning on going, and will go after I finish up my associates degree) - any info would be great.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM

222 posts, read 811,477 times
Default Tammany is Nice

[quote=Nickyswifey;6407325]Very near where he will be working is Tammany on the ponds apartments and I know those to be very affordable, clean and nice. QUOTE]

I can second the recommendation for Tammany on the Pond, although you might want to try and get one of the apartments further away from the highway if you like the quiet.

I also think LCC is great and there are a number of options to get a bachelors degree there now from other colleges in Michigan. It's a great value!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan