Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:26 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Diamondgirl, you gave me the best laugh of the day. Let me explain, when I was a girl growing up in Oakland county back in the 50's, there was a story in one of Detroit papers about a family that had moved into the Detroit area from Quebec. Seems the little girl in kindergarten only spoke French, so, as her birthday was near the cut off, the school officals suggested she stay home for a year and play with the neighborhood children to improve her English skills. The following year the parents took her to the school, proud of how well she had mastered her new language only to discover that she still could not speak English. Seems the family had settled in Hamtramack and the little girl was now fluent in Polish!

I wouldn't worry about it. I always had dolls of different ethnicity in my classroom and it didin't seem to bother the kids one bit. And isn't the point who are you buying the doll for. I presume to teach your daughter how to nuture and be protective of those who cannot defend themselves, whether they be babies or puppies. Not to satisfy anyone's politically correct comfort level. If your daugther is happy, that is all that matters.
That is hilarious! Poor girl.

I think I will be fine if I just follow my heart. And if I make mistakes, hopefully people will be understanding. I have no malicious intent what-so-ever.
And now I can show my husband this thread so he can chill out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 PM

16 posts, read 31,493 times
People are way to sensitive now days - let your daughter enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
I remember asking for, and receiving a black doll in the 60's. If I could do it then (living in Warren) I can't imagine it is a problem now. If there is the problem, certainly it isn't with your daughter!!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:39 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
Lawn Jockeys?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
My guess is that the only person who was offended was/will be your husband.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I remember asking for, and receiving a black doll in the 60's. If I could do it then (living in Warren) I can't imagine it is a problem now. If there is the problem, certainly it isn't with your daughter!!
Isn't that too funny, I remember doing the exact same thing~ I think it was for my 7th or 8th birthday (67 or 68), and at the time, the black doll was all the rage-

No matter what anyone does, you will offend someone, somewhere- I can understand your husband being worried about offending someone here, but he doesn't need to worry about it, lol- I remember when I spent a few months in Canada, everyone asked where I was from (California), and I have to say that my memories of Canadians are very good ones- awesome country, and wonderful people~

Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Yup. You will probably offend someone. You will also offend Someone if you tell your daughter to stop playing with the doll.

However, you will also offend someone just by existing. Then again, you wold probably offend someone if you ceased existing.

People are insanely oversensitive these days. Some people walk around searching for reasons to be offended. Anything that you try to do to avoid offending someone will end up offending someone else. There is nothing you can do to avoid offending Someone, so just dint worry about it.

Kids are funny. They do not care about race. I remember when my daughter was very young she was talking to a our only black neighbor (we lived in a nearly entirely Hispanic community). I wandered over to make sure she did not say something offensive. She was just chatting away endlessly as 3-4 year olds tend to do "Is that your baby? What is its name? . . . . Suddenly she said "You are brown! Your baby is brown too. I am not brown, I am pink. Then she went on to discuss dogs, kittens and flowers. To her there was no more difference than one flower is yellow and another one is red.

Young children have no prejudice. We (adults) give that to them somehow. If we could only avoid doing that and all act more like our children, the world would be a better place.

If she likes the doll, let her play with it.

(Guess what? This post will undoubtedly offend someone.).

Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Why's everyone so bent on mixing things up? Seems like people are trying to force mixing white and black.
Yeah, imagine that. How unnatural.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Wow, has your husband been accused of offending people by someone? I just would have never considered that offensive to others. I know there are some people who would not buy a different race doll for their kid, but that is their own bias'.

Even at 14, my daughter's group of friends are all different. They have 2 girls with the same name, one is white the other is black. Funny they will say, "white joanie and black joanie" I was thinking, hmm, they should maybe use the last name initial there as they may offend someone. I think they just started doing that on their own tho'. But it is weird how the adults are the ones with the hangups and they will pass them down to their kids if they verbalize it as such.

Hopefully, you husband relaxes and just enjoys watching his daughter have fun. And I love hearing from people that live in different areas. I can't imagine people being mad about you being Canadian in America.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM

140 posts, read 459,355 times
Don't worry about it at all.... technically, she could, and maybe she will, who knows, have a dark skinned baby someday. What difference does it make? I think it's great that she LOVES the baby.... after all, that's why we have kids play with dolls, to model and learn their parenting skills. Kudos to you, mom, for modeling unconditional love to your child. She is doing the same with her baby. It has never made a difference to you what she looked like, so I'm sure she hasn't even thought about that with her doll. She loves her. If anyone is offended, which I can't possibly see why, let that be their problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan