Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 03:07 AM

197 posts, read 734,739 times

Advertisements

I am *contemplating* (my safe word in case someone says "but..but...but you were asking about the snow in Minnesota?!?") moving to Michigan. Actually, it's one of a small number of states that I'm contemplating moving to:

MN, MI, NY, NH, VT

What I am interested in at this very moment, 5:08AM to be exact (I'm naked, exhausted from lack of sleep and have a cold, yet can't get my butt off this site), is whether MI has some great GLBT support or not. As most of you can tell, I am 'transgendered', which for me means I am exploring through the use of hormones whether I truly want to live my life as the opposite sex of which I was born). GLBT support is really not very good in Kentucky. Any suprise there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,787 times
For the most part, you're probably going to face hurdles in Michigan. So, I would stick to urban areas.

In metro Detroit, Ferndale is the most open. It is a hip inner ring suburb with a GLBT community center right downtown. You also might want to check out Ann Arbor because it is a progressive college town and educated people tend to be more open minded.

Other than that, Michigan is sadly burdened by the phobias that afflict much of middle America.

Obviously you will find the most support and least judgment in the cosmpolitan cities on the coasts: New York, DC, LA, perhaps Seattle. Doesn't seem like you want to go there, though.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM

It probably wouldn't be as much of an issue for me, in terms of needing to be around a certain lifestyle. I think that as long as the community was diverse I'd be just fine.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:35 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,580 times
Downtown Grand Rapids is fairly diverse. Back in my clubbing days (10 yrs ago) my friends and I did a lot of dancing at the big gay club there (called Diversions if I remember correctly). I recall seeing a lot of advertisements for the GLBT community but don't actually know anything about their functions.

Ann Arbor is definitely more diverse & open overall without being too large.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,293 times
I've always heard of Grand Rapids as the "Bible belt" of Michigan. I know it's much more conservative than other areas.

What about Royal Oak? (Detroit suburb)

I live in Northern MI, and it's very conservative up here too. There's hardly any diversity of any kind. I'd stay in urban areas too.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:47 AM

478 posts, read 1,657,085 times
Default We found support in MI

As a pp mentioned -- Ferndale, my son joined Affirmations (gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender support - website: goaffirmations.org) in Ferndale and loved it. We also attended PFLAG meeting in Ann Arbor -- there is also a group downriver too. We found in some of the local high schools they had Gay Support groups also -- not in our particular school -- but schools near by.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
I've always heard of Grand Rapids as the "Bible belt" of Michigan. I know it's much more conservative than other areas.

The suburban areas yes. Not the city as much. I think there are now 3 or 4 clubs in downtown GR that are "gay friendly". I think one even has a cross-dressing fashion show or beauty pageant one night a week (I work with a guy who is gay and into the clubbing scene). But the gay scene is not huge in GR by any stretch.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM

I would like to switch the direction of this thread, slightly. Being bisexual, I am not really so much interested in the GLB scene or the support in that area. I will tell anyone that I am bisexual without batting an eye (cute guys will get a wink, though). Really, and truly, I am looking to see what the support is like for the transgender/transsexual community up there. I have a therapist down here in Kentucky, and if I moved out of state and wished to continue on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) I would most likely need a therapist up there, too.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 AM

188 posts, read 607,426 times
Traverse City seems to be a little more progressively minded. Just stay out of the sticks - I've worked in hick town restaurants where gays have been beaten in the bathroom for just being gay. Pretty disgusting if you ask me. For growing up there, I can't believe I'm as open minded as I am towards people. Like anywhere though, you're going to have narrow minded people in narrow little towns. The broader the town, the broader the minds. Seems to be the norm. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan