Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, has Muskegon Heights always been a predominately Black city or is that a relatively recent occurance? What kind of city is it? Is it more suburban, blue collar or just an extension of Muskegon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,628 times
I don't know about the blue-collar aspect, but check it out on maps-live.com for its relation to Muskegon.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Muskegon Heights was the rough side of town even back when I was a kid in the 70's. North Muskegon was the "ritzy" part of town.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Also, where are schools like Oakridge, Reeths-Puffer and Orchard View located in the area? I know Mona Shores is in Norton Shores, but I've always wondered how Muskegon could have so many schools. I think it is only a city of about 40,000 or so.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 10,048 times
Muskegon is a great place to Live or invest. Muskegon has many great areas. Some are better values than others. If you want to know what muskegon has to offer visit [url=http://www.visitmuskegon.com]Muskegon County ~ experience the lake effect[/url] and [url=http://www.muskegon.org]Home[/url]

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 AM

18 posts, read 47,923 times
I grew up in the south part of the Heights. When I was in elementary school my school was very racially diverse. However when I entered the middle school, it was nearly 100% black. The reason: white flight. As a youngster, this greatly troubled me as I missed the friendships I had with those who had moved away.
Unfortunately, after college, I chose to not move back to the Heights area because of the economic condition the city seemed to be going in. However, I am not impressed with Muskegon County as a whole. The area near the Lakes Mall and now currently, the downtown area, seem to be the only places with any life to it. It is depressing to see my hometown resemble a ghost town. I am planning on leaving the state within the next 2 years.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,259 times
I was born and raised in Muskegon Hts. My Dad was a Muskegon Hts Fireman for many years. Our home, which burned down many years ago, was on Maffett street just a couple houses from Summit. It was a great place to live in the 60's and could go play after dark and not have to worry about it. Most of us kids loved going to Terry's Lee's, on the corner of Summit and Peck, to buy penny candy, except for Chum Gum which was 2 cents. Early evening I could even walk to the Fire Barn to see my Dad and not worry about anyone bothering me. I have many fond memories of the Hts. and it breaks my heart to see it in such disrepair. We moved out of Muskegon in 1973 moving to St. Louis Mo. It turned out to be one of the best thing we ever did considering the economy of Michigan. Both my parents are gone now but we still come home to see other family and friends. I don't miss the weather but I sure do miss all the water and beautiful Lake Michigan Sunsets. I've lived in Mo. longer then I did in Muskegon but Michigan will always remain my home in my heart.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 18,850 times
heights is not bad compared to a city like detroit,chicago not the worst area i have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan