Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times

Advertisements

I live in NC and I can tell you that it's really bad here. My husband was laid off in september and still hasn't found anything, not even at McD's. There are a few colleges here and no one wants to hire someone they know isn't going to stay when things pick up, but in the mean time, they let the people with families starve. Anyway, just wanted you to know, depending on which part of NC you are looking at, it's not any better here and the rent / cost of real estate ( again depending on which part of NC) is not cheap. You can't find a decent 3 /2 for less than $1000, and even those are hard to come by.

We are looking at Michigan because it looks like rent is cheaper, so even though there aren't many jobs, we both could finish college and be able to live off loans etc even with just part time jobs.Now we just have to figure out which part of Michigan, or if MI will work. lol, am I crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,511 times
Michigan will work, if you try. Actually any place can work if you want it bad enough. Its tough all over the US, so Michigan is not the only one. We moved here in Dec. and the place we moved from was worse than Michigan. (yes people it is true) We love Michigan so we are not leaving.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 AM

140 posts, read 459,124 times
We just moved out of state from Cadillac. Though I would love to sell you my house there and there's no place I'd rather live, there are no manufacturing jobs to be had there. Four Winns is a ghost town. They have been on shut down for months at a time over the last year and have done massive layoffs besides. Sorry to say as they have been THE company in Cadillac's history. There are many manufacturing companies that supply the auto industry. Those companies are really struggling and have also had layoffs and shut downs. Michigan's UE rate is over 10%, but Wexford County comes in much higher- I think around 15%. AAR does gov. contract work so they are hanging in there, but many positions there require degrees even for positions that you wouldn't think would. Medical jobs are available. We wish we didn't have to leave, Cadillac is beautiful and we will always call it home, but it will be years before the industrial sect recovers. You may be able to find something in TC, but it's still pretty slim and cost of living is higher, but a commute from Cadillac is within an hour, and Cadillac's housing prices are very low. City taxes are high though. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
I live in Cadillac and am currently working at Paulstra. It is an automotive supplier and IT SUCKS. I've been there a year and a half and still a temp! They hire in 2 people a month and so many temps come and go. I think somewhere between 500-800 people came and went in the time frame I've been there. Me and my boyfriend are actually setting a 2 year goal to move away from MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan