Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:12 PM

286 posts, read 994,567 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina from Grand Rapids and am definitely missing some things about GR.

First of all....it's been close to 100 almost every day. I'm sorry but thats a bit too hot. Second, I miss Meijer's grocery stores. Stores down here are awful. I also miss having things be close and convenient. Seems like I have to drive awhile to get places, even though I live in a highly populated area, which is strange.

That said, I love North Carolina and don't regret the move. If you're thinking about moving down, you would probably enjoy it very much. I just wanted to encourage people living in Michigan to keep their heads up. Its not such an awful place. You'll miss things if you move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:18 PM

27 posts, read 74,131 times
Okay, I'm originally from Denver, Colorado but lived in Holland, Michigan for a year. Know I'm back in Denver and miss Michigan so much. It's kind of pitiful how much I think about Michigan. It's been over a year and I still feel very compelled to move back there. I have been praying that God takes this off my heart or allows a way for me to live there in the future.

Last edited by Manox; 06-15-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 06-15-2008, 08:25 PM

195 posts, read 972,904 times
NickC & Manox - I missed Michigan too when I moved to San Diego for a couple of years. Everybody talks about Cali this Cali that.. But I'm not into hollywood or coco-chanel sunglasses. Michigan has such awesome springs/summers. Even the winters aren't bad if you enjoy winter sports like cross-country skiing, snowmobiling or even ice fishing (which I love).

Manox - I'm surprised you aren't as happy in Denver. I always thought it was a beautiful city. Recently I was there in the summer and then again in the winter, and I love the majestic rockies. I think the west side of the city is much nicer and especially as you get closer to Georgetown, but overall CO is a sweet state.. Real estate is not terribly priced for the amount of mountainviews and land you get except maybe Vail or Boulder. Colorado Springs is a strange city though.. weird vibes. Pueblo seems to be pretty friendly, and the western part of the state is just peaceful. Fruita's great for mountain biking as are Rifle and Grand Junction.

I love Holland too. I could sit at the top of Tunnel Park all day just staring out at the lake from sunrise to sunset.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:08 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,919 times
i TOTALLY know how you both are feeling!!
see my "things i am looking forward to when i visit N.Michigan..." thread

I have a fault of comparing a lot of things out here to michigan (and usually it is the michigan comparison is better)...don't get me wrong i always try to find great positive things about where i live but i truly really really really love michigan!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM

27 posts, read 74,131 times
Windfarmer, your right Colorado is an amazing place too. But Michigan really did spoil me for other states. The Sand Dunes and the SangeDeCrisco Mountains Ranges in sounthern Colorado are breathtaking. The natural hot springs in Hoopper, Pagosa Springs and Glennwood Springs are truly natural wonders. Yes, Pueblo is a nice mid-size city. Your right, the west part of the state is unique in it's beuty and there are so many other picturesque areas in Colorado. I certainly agree with you on Colorado Springs; I have never liked that place. Denver is okay but it's a long ways away from the mountains. A misconception many people have is that if you live in Denver, your in the mountains or they are close by. This is just not so. Driving there is a serious undertaking as you will spend much of your time on the crowded interstates of I-25 or I-70. As I'm taking my 40 minute commute to work I see graffiti and bums on the street. I almost can't believe what has become of many areas of Denver. I don't even know my neighbors names. I have made efforts to extend but I suppose they just don't want to be bothered. This may not be the trend everywhere in Denver but it is my experience. So please don't hate. I am profoundly drawn to the geograhy in Michigan. THe inland seas, numerous other lakes, the different shades of green in the woods, a powerful yet peaceful thunderstorm, yeah the snow does get old by Feb. but I still enjoy it before then. Holland is an enchanting and quaint little city and I am totally smitten with it and other parts in west Michigan. I have discovered what I like, green, green, trees and water. Colorado is nice but it does not have an abundance of these things.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manox View Post
Windfarmer, your right Colorado is an amazing place too. But Michigan really did spoil me for other states. The Sand Dunes and the SangeDeCrisco Mountains Ranges in sounthern Colorado are breathtaking. The natural hot springs in Hoopper, Pagosa Springs and Glennwood Springs are truly natural wonders. Yes, Pueblo is a nice mid-size city. Your right, the west part of the state is unique in it's beuty and there are so many other picturesque areas in Colorado. I certainly agree with you on Colorado Springs; I have never liked that place. Denver is okay but it's a long ways away from the mountains. A misconception many people have is that if you live in Denver, your in the mountains or they are close by. This is just not so. Driving there is a serious undertaking as you will spend much of your time on the crowded interstates of I-25 or I-70. As I'm taking my 40 minute commute to work I see graffiti and bums on the street. I almost can't believe what has become of many areas of Denver. I don't even know my neighbors names. I have made efforts to extend but I suppose they just don't want to be bothered. This may not be the trend everywhere in Denver but it is my experience. So please don't hate. I am profoundly drawn to the geograhy in Michigan. THe inland seas, numerous other lakes, the different shades of green in the woods, a powerful yet peaceful thunderstorm, yeah the snow does get old by Feb. but I still enjoy it before then. Holland is an enchanting and quaint little city and I am totally smitten with it and other parts in west Michigan. I have discovered what I like, green, green, trees and water. Colorado is nice but it does not have an abundance of these things.
I always thought Denver was just a skip to the mountains, and if your lucky you may see the snow cover the mountains out west. To me from your post it seems like its one drive.... I guess I never really looked at the miles.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manox View Post
Okay, I'm originally from Denver, Colorado but lived in Holland, Michigan for a year. Know I'm back in Denver and miss Michigan so much. It's kind of pitiful how much I think about Michigan. It's been over a year and I still feel very compelled to move back there. I have been praying that God takes this off my heart or allows a way for me to live there in the future.
Colorado seems like a nice state, but I must say I can not like any state more than Michigan. It's one great state.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:28 AM

227 posts, read 795,363 times
I'm from SE MI and now live in what they like to call Upstate SC. It's crap here compared to MI. Everyone says "the economy is SO bad up there." It's worse here if you ask me. Unless you work for the electric company or some other factory that's only going to go out of business is 2 years or less, you'll barely make over minimum wage. But yet our cars and food and stupid property taxes on CARS keep so many going into the hole.

I haven't been home to MI in over 2 1/2 years. I miss it a lot.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 AM

124 posts, read 477,140 times
Oh yes I miss Michigan...it is supposed to be 113 here today If my hubby didn't hate snow so much I probably would move back, although I must say I'm rather fond of our winters out here.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 PM

227 posts, read 795,363 times
Mild winters are nice in ways but it still gets cold with no white beauty. I certainly miss home myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan