Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:33 AM

16 posts, read 55,954 times

Advertisements

If you want somewhere quiet and green and close to the highway to head to Albion - I would suggest Holt. It is quiet and green and within 15 minutes to East Lansing and Lansing - so you won't feel too isolated. Many MSU faculty and staff live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 PM

37 posts, read 123,438 times
The Southside of Lansing isn't somewhere where I would let little kids run around alone, but I also don't fear for my life. That is definitely where you will find cheaper 2 bdrm houses. Holt is a nice area with good schools and there is a wide arrange of housing. Mason is just south of there as well and you could get more property in that area.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,639 times
Check out downtown Lansing, or North West Lansing.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:00 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
I second the suggestion of east side of Lansing, Frandor area~LaSalle Gardens I believe is the name of the subdivision. Charming homes, well kept, quiet neighborhood with easy access to 127 and within walking distance of bus route or Frandor Mall.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adieoz View Post
I have the absolutely best neighborhood for you. Colonial Village is a cute, quiet area just West of MLK and South of Mt Hope. Cute little capes with nice sized lots (think post war housing boom) Priced between $85-115,000, though you may be able to get something for a little less. Take a drive through, I'm sure you'll love it.
I agree with this post. I was born in this area, and recently visited the neighbor hood. Smaller, well kept homes. Seems safe.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 AM

7 posts, read 24,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
What neighborhoods or areas of small houses, bungalow types (i.e. inexpensive probably 2 bedroom) houses are there in Lansing? Prefer something on the south side as travel to Albion on weekends a lot.
Somewhere quiet and green with maybe slightly larger lots would be preferred although maybe too much to ask of a small bungalow area that is nice and safe. Any clues on where to look would be very helpful. P.S. no kids in school so that's not a concern other than safe neighborhoods and good schools seem to go hand in hand.

Thanks,

I actually own a small second home on the North side of town with a fenced in back yard, good school and nice neighbors. I am looking to sell it if you are interested in seeing it.

Generally though, if you stay away from the downtown area you are ok, but you can get into some rough areas pretty quick if you don't pay attention.

Grand Ledge, DeWitt, Okemos, Haslett and the other surrounding communties have a WIDE range of homes also, some fitting your description.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,418 times
Does anyone know if 5462 S. MLK is a good street? Trying to move my mother to Lansing and she is 64 and quiet. Thanks so much.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM

222 posts, read 810,814 times
Default Not the worst area of Lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeeelo View Post
Does anyone know if 5462 S. MLK is a good street? Trying to move my mother to Lansing and she is 64 and quiet. Thanks so much.
That's not the worst area of Lansing, but certainly not the best.

Is this a house, apartment complex, nursing home or . . . ?

I think most people would recommend one of the Lansing suburbs (Holt, Grand Ledge, DeWitt, Okemos) if you can afford it.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,285 times
Just don't move to Baker Street.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 19,861 times
Eastside has much to offer. Look at houses on Kipling, LaSalle, LaSalle Garden, that are ahs some very cute 40's capecods with good size lots. This area is on bus route one (best in the country) near shopping and right near Sparrow and all of the medical services. Really good location for the money.
You may want to come spend time here, Allen Street Farmers Market is wednesdays 2-6 through end of October (corner of Allen and Kalamazoo sts.) People from all over neighborhood will be there, you can ask them!
I don't automatically recommend the suburbs-it really depends on what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan