Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 06:44 PM

37 posts, read 178,181 times

Advertisements

Some cut and paste from today in the Petoskey News Review

“We’re lucky in Petoskey. You can still shop in downtown Petoskey for goods you use every day as well as unique and rare items,” said Becky Goodman, Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce downtown director.

“It’s so picturesque and quaint and it’s right on Little Traverse Bay,” she added.

Goodman pointed to the streetscape project Petoskey is undergoing on Mitchell Street, as well as a full schedule of summer events as reasons tourists will visit and why the area will thrive this summer.

“We’re absolutely getting ready for summer here,” she said. “Downtown is alive and doing well.”

In Gaylord, Bruce Brown, owner of the Alpine Chocolat Haus and president of the Gaylord Downtown Merchants Association (DMA) reported the downtown experience is robust.

“Downtown businesses are doing well,” he said.

“Gas prices are high, but people will still travel,” observed Brown of the summer tourism travel.

The DMA sponsors movies under the Pavilion on South Court Avenue Saturday evenings throughout the summer. It’s one way to entice more people downtown.

“Movie night under the Pavilion is a huge success,” Brown said, noting as many as 150 people have brought lawn chairs to take in the outdoor showings.

The eight-week outdoor movie season opens June 14 with “Madagascar.”

“The DMA is gearing up for summer right now,” stated Jill Miner, Saturn Booksellers owner and Gaylord DMA marketing director. At Saturn, Miner has a line-up of prize-winning authors slated to visit the Alpine Village from around the country.

“From my perspective, downtown is doing very well right now,” she said. “We’re having our semi-annual employee stroll, where we go from business to business telling various store employees what we do.”

The stroll is to familiarize the employees with all downtown has to offer.

As summer approaches, a $12-million municipal marina expansion and downtown East Park renovation project has Charlevoix Downtown Development Association executive director Keith Carey excited.

Carey expects the harbor master’s building to be open soon and the site and performance pavilion to open in late June.

Downtown businesses are doing well, he remarked.

“There’s roughly 90 percent occupancy of downtown businesses and roughly 90 percent occupancy of Bridge Street businesses,” he said.

Additionally, Carey reported five new businesses opening this spring.

“We’re hoping the completion of the downtown park and marina project will bring more business downtown,” said Bob Hoffman, president of the nonprofit grassroots group This is Our Town in Charlevoix.

Hugh Conklin, Boyne City Main Street program manager, said Boyne City’s signature event, “Stroll the Streets,” Friday evenings June 27-Aug. 29, will bring people downtown for live music and children’s activities.

“The downtown is just alive on Friday evenings,” said Conklin.

With special events such as the Boyne Thunder Poker Run July 11-12, Boyne City is preparing up for a busy summer.

Holly Watson, owner of The Bird’s Nest, a children’s clothing store at 112 Water St., downtown Boyne City has gone through a change since last summer.

“New businesses have moved in, others have relocated or expanded,” she said. “From my own personal view, I just expanded and moved to a new location and we’re doing wonderful.”

Without a job, Watson moved from Clarkston to her Boyne City property five years ago.

“We fell in love with the town and knew jobs would follow,” she said. She’s been operating The Bird’s Nest for three years.

“The attraction is the beauty around us with the lakes and the friendliness of all the people in town,” she added. “This town is a tourist town so people are always in a good mood.”

Trapper1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:03 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,851 times
Default Northern MI = Heaven

Thanks for the encouraging post!!

Actually there's been good news popping up in MI lately. In Kalamazoo MPI research has just announced 3,300 in new jobs, and some 300 new jobs in Greenville north of Grand Rapids.

Northern Michigan is nothing short of paradise--year round. It seems to be one of those few precious places that's still peaceful and good. And the natural beauty is beyond words. I just hope the people up there realize how good they have it--even in winter

Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,457,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I just hope the people up there realize how good they have it--even in winter
We do!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,851 times
Northman,

That's great. If I could find a way to make money promoting Michigan (via tourism or writing) I totally would. I simply CANNOT say enough good things about Northern MI.

I, for one will definitely be in Petoskey this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan