Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 12:51 AM

42 posts, read 233,859 times

Advertisements

Posting this as i'm not seeing much talk on working in the UP. Partner and I have our sights on the UP as a possible long term relocation with a 10+ acre property. I know it's rural and remote, with some towns being decent sized for the region. With my research so far, Marquette checks quite a few boxes for us, but we aren't decided yet and are planning on traveling up with the RV to scope things out.

My partner works in healthcare as an OR RN primarily.

I have experience as a field service technician, working on automatic doors and other commercial door types. I know there probably aren't many automatic doors in the UP lol... my experience is handy, lots of tools, know a bit of carpentry and electrical, and more!

It seems like theres probably work around if one's inclined to find it. I've lived in other remote areas and was definitely a fan of that way of life, more than the rat-race down here in Phoenix AZ at the moment.

Anyway, would you say it's fairly business friendly in the UP? Do local outfits hire new transplants? or is that a handicap right off the bat? Probably just also depends upon networking skills and abilities.

We aren't trying to bring city bull**** with us, or push agendas. We are looking at places like this because its still relatively affordable and we think its might be the right place for us.

long story short TLDR: how is work in the UP these days? poverty with a view or overall a nice place to live and should stay that way

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 10:28 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,948,863 times
Basically, I think you kind of have the right mind-set.

The UP, and most of Michigan for that matter is rather non-transient and most people have "roots" here.
Most people have established social circles of friends and family that they have grown-up with and aren't necessarily always looking to open-up and establish new networks.

If you just roll with things, don't try to rock the boat, don't try to bring your agenda/outsider perspective and/or outwardly display your political views you will be fine.

You have to accept it for what it is, not try to change things or people to be like where you came from.

Can't speak exactly for specific lines of work, but there are jobs if one is willing to be flexible.

Nice place to live, just realize the weather /seasons of the UP.
Summer is awesome but short /intense and really only about 12 weeks of reliable nice weather in late-June through August.
Fall is awesome in September - mid October.
Late fall / early winter runs from late Oct - early Dec.
Winter is Dec - end of March
Late Winter / Early Spring is April & May.
The thing to understand is yes winter is snowy and cold, but the shoulder seasons of late-fall and early spring are just cool and wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan