Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2021, 12:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,541,242 times

Advertisements

Just returned from my second, week-long trip exploring N. central and far north NE lower, and must say I really enjoyed it over all. The very first thing that strikes me in my extensive travels is how clean it is. There may be issues I did not see, but the roadways, towns, trails and Lake Huron were shockingly clean and free of trash... And not just free from deposit paid bottles and cans - EVERYTHING. It truly is amazing to see compared to other states I have done similar travels through.

Secondly is how amazing your state parks are, the sheer number and how well taken care of they were. From the signage to the workers this is no accident. Lastly how much I enjoyed your greatly varied terrain, landscapes, and vistas. I saw places that I swore I was in a GA pine grove, Alaska/WA/Maine, on a sandy beach having nearly tropical appearing water. I am really taken by the Presque Isle county area, and would love to call it home. So remote feeling, so quiet and peaceful, so amazingly clean, and Lake Huron is simply amazing as are so many of the local waterways.

Thought I would share a few photos, taken from Presque Isle, on Grand Lake (cabin), Ocqueoc Falls, Presque Isle new Lighthouse... Absolutely lovely, and I want to go back now and take up residence.

And a minute long video of the area from YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDnDGHSzO2A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:49 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
I agree I visited Drummond Island and ended up buying a couple of acres of remote Lake Huron frontage on a tip sticking out of a bay. I am from Minnesota and the attitude there was always the north shore of Superior was the best part of the Great Lakes. The diversity that Michigan has of the three lakes from bluffs to vast sand beaches blows that away. I now vacation on northern Michigan not off of the nasty freeway they have turned highway 61 into on the north shore.

Places in Michigan just feel so pristine and remote without having to go actually too far. I love northern Michigan.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:03 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
Michigan is a beautiful state.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:11 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,454 times
Glad you had a great trip.
Yes, you realize how good we have it here in Michigan and there is endless beauty all over, in all seasons.

I've also realized how much of a gem our State Parks, Recreation areas, and State Forests are.
They blow other states out of the water in terms of beauty, amenities, and even how they are maintained.

Some of our state parks could arguably rival some National Parks.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,363,885 times
Great pictures. Michigan is a beautiful state, growing up on the west coast the only vision of it I had was Detroit, but it is wonderful, including the west coast on Lake Michigan. I was able to get to know it when I moved to Chicago, and it is truly a well kept secret.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:47 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,894 times
It really is a beautiful state. We have only a few tornadoes, extremely rare for an earthquake and any are extremely mild, very few poisonous creatures, no hurricanes, lots of room to roam, great lakes and then also about 11,000 inland lakes, less extreme weather...unless you are counting January and February which I would like to wipe off the calendar. Those months we suffer, from polar vortexes to weeks of gray, even if you're an avid downhill skier it's hard to appreciate those months.
Oh, and mosquitoes. We won't talk about those.
Today I am listening to the walnuts fall like baseballs out of trees.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Just returned from my second, week-long trip exploring N. central and far north NE lower, and must say I really enjoyed it over all. The very first thing that strikes me in my extensive travels is how clean it is. T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDnDGHSzO2A
This is something that really struck us when we moved back to Michigan after 18 years in California. Part of it is the bottle deposit law, but it is more than that. Even the public bathrooms, while still often disgusting, are cleaner than in most other places I have been. There is simply less litter, grime, trash than in comparable locaitns in other parts of the country. I am not sure why that is, but it is nice.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:12 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is something that really struck us when we moved back to Michigan after 18 years in California. Part of it is the bottle deposit law, but it is more than that. Even the public bathrooms, while still often disgusting, are cleaner than in most other places I have been. There is simply less litter, grime, trash than in comparable locaitns in other parts of the country. I am not sure why that is, but it is nice.
The rest areas on the freeways are some of the most beautifully landscaped and the cleanest I have ever seen. Love the dog runs on the sides where you can get your dog off the leash. Cross from Michigan onto the tollway in Ohio and their rest areas are like being in prison.

I love the area around Gaylord and the hills up there. But the crown jewel for me is crossing the bridge and the solitude that instantly permeates the cedar trees on the other side. It's like a different world as soon as you cross. The view from the bridge itself is obviously also breathtaking.

Michigan is basically my favorite state at this point. I sold land in Maine to get what I have now. At first I thought it wouldn't compare well. The price was right and it is much closer to where I am based and I actually like Michigan just as much if not more. It's close but I find the people actually put Michigan over the top.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,238,485 times
High taxes help ...

As do folks who love and like to take care of the outdoors.

But please don't tell too many people, it's getting too crowded ... hugely different from the mid-60s (yes, selfish I know

Old 10-14-2021, 09:17 AM

224 posts, read 298,212 times
Shhhhh...don't tell anyone! You are welcome to move here but don't tell too many people or they will all want to move here. Actually, the winter will keep some of them away. I think we are going to have a heavy winter this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: