Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 04:16 PM

4 posts, read 17,968 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are moving to West Michigan from Littleton, Colorado (suburb of Denver). I have a job offer to work 100% remote so there is not an issue with finding a job. We are in our early 40's have 2 small boys (3 and 5). We love to be involved with church and are pretty low key. We are excited about having a slower lifestyle and love the idea of having so many lakes around. We are looking for an area that we can buy a house with land in the $300-350K range. We have been to Traverse City but have never been to Holland/Zeeland/Grand Haven area. What area is the best for families? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 10:56 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Both areas are nice areas. They are roughly 2.5 hours apart. I am assuming your aim is to be near water? According to Zillow average home quotes all are within your budget. Grand Haven and Traverse City are hot summer spots which you may or may not like. Honestly, I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. I am of Dutch extraction and biased toward the Grand Haven/Holland/Zeeland area.

Old 05-20-2021, 07:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
As said both are nice areas.

Traverse City area is the regional economic hub of Northern Lower Michigan. Inundated with tourist/vacationers from Memorial Day - October.
Grand Haven is a summer hot-spot beach town.

There are some notable differences to the two areas:

Grand Haven/Holland/Zeeland are part of a broader region of the west side of the state that is anchored within a 30-45 min drive of Grand Rapids. Many of those places are defacto bedroom communities from Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids is metro area it itself that has a lot more city-like amenities than anything you will find around Traverse City. Lots more in terms of arts, restaurants, museums, gardens, concerts, minor-league sports. The diversity of the job market and economy is a lot more robust than TC region. Grand Rapids has a much larger airport with much better year-round air service. The west side area is about 2.5 drive to Detroit area or Chicago. TC is about 4 hours to Detroit and 5-6 hours to Chicago.

Traverse City is a much smaller region. More anchored around the tourism / resorter communities, but also a lot of outdoor

Both areas are a lot of recreation activities tied to woods & water (e.g, hiking, mountain biking, hunting, fishing, boating, sailing, kayaking, beach) in the surrounding areas.

TC being a bit farther north has a bit longer of a winter on both sides. Both areas get lake effect snow, but TC tends to get a bit more, it sticks around longer, and is a bit colder being farther north.

Can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:15 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Do note that either way, western Michigan winters, though relatively mild compared to the other side of the lake, do involve not really seeing the sun much from about November through March. It’s far gloomier than a Colorado winter, especially right along the lakeshore.

I’d go for Grand Haven for the relatively short trip into Grand Rapids for when you need bigger city things and another relatively short trip to get Up North, which I tend to think of starting once you get north of Muskegon.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Both areas are nice areas. They are roughly 2.5 hours apart. I am assuming your aim is to be near water? According to Zillow average home quotes all are within your budget. Grand Haven and Traverse City are hot summer spots which you may or may not like. Honestly, I do not think you can go wrong with any of them. I am of Dutch extraction and biased toward the Grand Haven/Holland/Zeeland area.
Thanks so much! We are moving to be closer to my husband's family who live around Kalamazoo. If we are moving to MI, we want to be closer to the water.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do note that either way, western Michigan winters, though relatively mild compared to the other side of the lake, do involve not really seeing the sun much from about November through March. It’s far gloomier than a Colorado winter, especially right along the lakeshore.

I’d go for Grand Haven for the relatively short trip into Grand Rapids for when you need bigger city things and another relatively short trip to get Up North, which I tend to think of starting once you get north of Muskegon.
Yes, I'm trying to prepare my self for colder and gloomier winters in Michigan! Thanks for the advice. Although, TC is beautiful, I'm starting to think that Grand Haven area might be better long term.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
As said both are nice areas.

Traverse City area is the regional economic hub of Northern Lower Michigan. Inundated with tourist/vacationers from Memorial Day - October.
Grand Haven is a summer hot-spot beach town.

There are some notable differences to the two areas:

Grand Haven/Holland/Zeeland are part of a broader region of the west side of the state that is anchored within a 30-45 min drive of Grand Rapids. Many of those places are defacto bedroom communities from Grand Rapids.

Grand Rapids is metro area it itself that has a lot more city-like amenities than anything you will find around Traverse City. Lots more in terms of arts, restaurants, museums, gardens, concerts, minor-league sports. The diversity of the job market and economy is a lot more robust than TC region. Grand Rapids has a much larger airport with much better year-round air service. The west side area is about 2.5 drive to Detroit area or Chicago. TC is about 4 hours to Detroit and 5-6 hours to Chicago.

Traverse City is a much smaller region. More anchored around the tourism / resorter communities, but also a lot of outdoor

Both areas are a lot of recreation activities tied to woods & water (e.g, hiking, mountain biking, hunting, fishing, boating, sailing, kayaking, beach) in the surrounding areas.

TC being a bit farther north has a bit longer of a winter on both sides. Both areas get lake effect snow, but TC tends to get a bit more, it sticks around longer, and is a bit colder being farther north.

Can't go wrong with either.
Thanks so much! Great info. My husband will be job searching once we are out there and it seem like being in the outskirts of Grand Rapids may be the wiser choice.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:54 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellegose View Post
Thanks so much! We are moving to be closer to my husband's family who live around Kalamazoo. If we are moving to MI, we want to be closer to the water.
That dragged a quotation out of long term memory...

"In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake." - unknown.

If you seek access to a body of water, you'll get it.

But you might have your heart set on a particular lake...can't fault anyone for that.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:00 AM

900 posts, read 683,306 times
We've lived in Traverse City area for 7 years. It's my favorite, but if your husband's family lives in Kalamazoo, I'd pick Grand Haven for sure. And Grand Haven is wonderful. And how great to be near the grandparents. My husband went to Hope, so you have that nearby as well. You can always make day trips to Traverse and Sleeping Bear Dunes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan