Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:42 AM

1,169 posts, read 752,136 times

Advertisements

Marquette offers only limited advantages to air travel over Hancock (Houghton County Airport.) I flew a lot for work and personal reasons during my time there and I can count the times I needed to catch a flight in Marquette (instead of Houghton County) on one hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:29 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,946,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
Marquette offers only limited advantages to air travel over Hancock (Houghton County Airport.) I flew a lot for work and personal reasons during my time there and I can count the times I needed to catch a flight in Marquette (instead of Houghton County) on one hand.
air fairs are expensive out of Sawyer, and limited. that’s why all us Yoopers fly in our cars.....and p/U trucks.....I can beat the plane to Ohare in my 911 on difficult days......

Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
air fairs are expensive out of Sawyer, and limited. that’s why all us Yoopers fly in our cars.....and p/U trucks.....I can beat the plane to Ohare in my 911 on difficult days......
I once was stranded for two nights and three days in Chicago returning home from DC, waiting on flights north to resume. No one will rent you a car one way to Houghton County (grr...). On the other hand I got paid to hang out in Chi-town for a while, though the wife (home with two small kids) was not happy

Old 07-16-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
I once was stranded for two nights and three days in Chicago returning home from DC, waiting on flights north to resume. No one will rent you a car one way to Houghton County (grr...). On the other hand I got paid to hang out in Chi-town for a while, though the wife (home with two small kids) was not happy
Not all bad...........great city. ! lived in the burbs many years,late 60s-70s,in a singles complex ski-pub-lakes-sailing -volleyball- and more young ladies than I could handle ! !

Old 10-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Wonder how he's doing in the gentle hamlet of Toivola these days?

Old 01-30-2021, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 17,709 times
Hiya everyone!
Actually doing very well. I ended up moving a little further up to Houghton which is a very nice town.
Snow has not really been much of a issue so far. I understand it's been an easy winter. At work I'm in and outside and work nights and don't need a jacket. It sure is beautiful. The main reason I moved up here was to apprentice as a knife maker but that didn't work out unfortunately. Also job that I was depending on didn't happen either.
I am getting by but no reason to stay so heading to San Antonio where I have more friends and much better job opportunities and a large veterans support network.

Still like it, but nothing good enough to pass on other opportunities.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theokami01 View Post
Hiya everyone!
Actually doing very well. I ended up moving a little further up to Houghton which is a very nice town.
Snow has not really been much of a issue so far. I understand it's been an easy winter. At work I'm in and outside and work nights and don't need a jacket. It sure is beautiful. The main reason I moved up here was to apprentice as a knife maker but that didn't work out unfortunately. Also job that I was depending on didn't happen either.
I am getting by but no reason to stay so heading to San Antonio where I have more friends and much better job opportunities and a large veterans support network.

Still like it, but nothing good enough to pass on other opportunities.
I have wintered in the San Antonio area for three years in a row ( not this year), best part of Texas, I liked it there a lot. Good luck adventures abound !

Old 01-31-2021, 01:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Maybe a Houghton thread on reddit...it's too quiet here.
It's snowman's land, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan