Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

The Beaumont I am familiar with is Trenton. I am not aware of any flooding there. they did have some standing water in one corner of one of their parking lots when I was last there. Nothing major. I actually parked in the water because that is where the open spaces were. They do not have enough parking.

I do not know if they do notices on the internet or anything but I have never heard of that Hospital being closed and have never seen flooding there. Seems like that are on a hill, but I am not sure. When I have gone to Beaumont, I am usually thinking "Owww this really hurts" not "Hmm I wonder if that hospital is on a hill?" I will try to remember to look next time I go by there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 04:52 AM

24 posts, read 26,291 times
Detroit metro area had serious flooding this summer. Anyone looking to buy a house should take notes on where to avoid after this year’s floods. It will only get worse with global warming and rising water levels. Combine that with incompetent leadership and outdated infrastructure, and you should expect more disasters like this in the future.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
Inner ring suburbs, built in low-lying, flat, former lakebed swamp areas are the prime areas that are at risk of flooding.

There is a whole labrythe of former streams and drainages that were paved over and moved from naturally flowing channels into pipes in the 1920s-1970s in parts of the inner ring suburbs of Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Warren, Grosse Pointe, Dearborn, and parts of the City of Detroit.

Fox Creek
Conner Creek
Escorse River
sections of the lower and middle Rouge River
sections of the middle Clinton River
Red Run drain
Twelve Towns drain
Big Beaver Creek
Spencer Drain
Bear Creek

these have been known flooding areas for decades. What was a problem in the 1960s is still a problem in the 2020s.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:56 AM

40 posts, read 76,445 times
You cannot judge potential flooding based on the city alone, as each city has varying elevation points - many times, within short distances. Not too many years ago, I moved from Plymouth to the West Dearborn Michigan Ave & Outer Drive area, which has hundreds of houses, and borders more houses in Dearborn Heights to the south. It's a good older neighborhood and my neighbors are all fantastic, but a portion of this area experiences basement/street/yard flooding during intense rainfall, due the Ecorse River south of here. So before buying, I took the time to google and carefully examine FEMA flood zone maps and bought accordingly - since that time, I've never experienced any flooding whatsoever in my house or on my property (or in my street or any other near it), and from what they've told me, neither have any of my neighbors.

Also, something you might want to consider: when purchasing, I intentionally bought a bit further out and upward in elevation from potential flood zone areas than I had to, because I assumed the FEMA maps would be somewhat out of date and likely wouldn't account for long-term climate change model predictions of more intense rainfall within shorter periods for this region. Sure enough, recent studies have since stated exactly that, but because I bought with this in mind, my home & immediate area are still rated as perfectly fine, ranking at "1" in terms of flood risk (10 being the worst), according to the second link provided below.

Anyway, hope this info and links are of some help to you:
https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search
https://floodfactor.com/

Old 10-25-2021, 09:20 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,943,933 times
I have several friends who live in Macomb County in newer places north of M-59 in parts of Shelby Twp, Macomb Twp. who have had basement flooding issues since the water table is so high and its relatively flat former farmland. It was farm land less than 20 years ago in most cases. They have two sump pumps, one as an emergency backup and they say they are constantly running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan