Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,884,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Probably true. However just because one thing causes a great harm than another does not mean you should legalize the lesser harm. You are also probably more likely to get killed by someone texting than by a drunk driver, but that does not = legalize drunk driving.

One person describe the pot/driving issue as: A drunk will run right through a stop sign without even knowing it was there. A stoner will sit at the stop sign waiting for it to turn green. Which one is dangerous?
I was looking at the ballot and didn't see any mention of legalizing pot and driving while under the influence of pot. While some people do smoke pot and drive, they're doing that now whether pot is legalized or not.

I guarantee that the threat of people smoking pot and driving is NOT why law enforcement officials are against the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My guess is you are a younger person and hang out with other younger persons who generally think legalizing is a great idea and all say they are going to vote for it but then don't bother to vote because it is inconvenient. That is what they now like to call an echo chamber. Because the people you hang out with are like you, they have the same opinions as you do, so you assume that is everyone's opinion. However that is not a good measure. A lot more older people vote, so it will be older people who make this decision. I do not see it being an overwhelming Yes.

The same is true of law enforcement credibility. Older people will rely more on life experience than on media and thus have a different outlook on Police credibility. Older people vote, so police input is likely to have influence. I have the experience to realize 98% of policemen are good people who want to serve the public and protect people and the .002% the media pastes all over the place are not examples of what policemen and women are like. Younger people have little experience to rely on and are more likely to accept the media portrayal of unusual occurrences as the norm because it is popular and trendy to do so. Once you get over 40 a few things change including: 1.You begin questioning what the media touts as truth; 2. You no longer care about being popular or trendy; and 3. You start voting every time (because . . . I do not know why).
I actually know (of) zenstyle in real life. I know of a ton of people who use it and are over 55, who will be voting in November.

Polling in Michigan shows overwhelming support for recreational marijuana legalization, amongst registered voters likely to vote.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...an/1446391002/

As others have said, marijuana gives police a reason to search and detain people more easily. It's fairly easy to claim "probable cause" when you can say someone was acting like they were "high." The more people they can search, the more likely they will find other laws being broken (stolen property, etc..). If marijuana is legalized, and the police are doing their routine patrols of inner city neighborhoods (they're certainly not busting all the suburbanites smoking pot), then there would be very little reason to stop someone just walking down the sidewalk at night alone. And if they did stop that person, and they have a legal level of marijuana on them, then there's no reason to put that person behind bars in prisons that are becoming more and more privately owned now.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:06 AM

513 posts, read 501,408 times
Here in Washington the sky hasn't fallen since legalization. There hasn't been an increase in crime. Marijuana doesn't really encourage bad behavior as much as it makes people slow and want to sit on the sofa.

You will smell it outside a lot more though. Lots of wafting marijuana in the streets.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 AM

513 posts, read 501,408 times
Also, I heard from friends in the marijuana business that the DeVos family is going in to marijuana processing and testing and that they are building a testing facility somewhere in mid-Michigan in anticipation of legalization. Anyone local know if this is true?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:43 PM

546 posts, read 904,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Also, I heard from friends in the marijuana business that the DeVos family is going in to marijuana processing and testing and that they are building a testing facility somewhere in mid-Michigan in anticipation of legalization. Anyone local know if this is true?
There are a few labs being set up. Their main purpose is to guarantee the strength of what's being sold and to ensure that the pesticide/herbicide levels are safe enough to inhale. Some of these labs are national already and standards have been developed.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:53 PM

546 posts, read 904,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Here in Washington the sky hasn't fallen since legalization. There hasn't been an increase in crime. Marijuana doesn't really encourage bad behavior as much as it makes people slow and want to sit on the sofa.

You will smell it outside a lot more though. Lots of wafting marijuana in the streets.
It has been many decades since I, cough cough, indulged. It is highly unlikely I will take the habit up again if Michigan makes it legal. I know enough to avoid the combustion of anything into my lungs (yes, it still causes cancer and heart disease) and the thought of edibles doesn't interest me. I'm at a point in my life where I enjoy the taste of a good scotch or craft beer...I've outgrown the need to get a buzz on quickly.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,876,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
My guess is you are a younger person and hang out with other younger persons who generally think legalizing is a great idea and all say they are going to vote for it but then don't bother to vote because it is inconvenient. That is what they now like to call an echo chamber. Because the people you hang out with are like you, they have the same opinions as you do, so you assume that is everyone's opinion.

Heh. No; I'm 64 with arthritic knees. Got my medical weed card about a year ago.

Does it help significantly, compared to over the counter painkillers?

Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Does it help significantly, compared to over the counter painkillers?
Are you comparing smoking a joint to taking Tylenol? Have you never smoked a joint before? It's been a long time for me but I can tell you they aren't nearly the same.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 3,114,895 times
I wouldn’t say weed helps *significantly,* but it makes one *care* less; that is, I notice the ache less. It’s also a terrific sleeping aid, depending on the strain.
I’m self-employed, so I don’t ever have to worry about peeing in a Dixie cup for boss man.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,876,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Are you comparing smoking a joint to taking Tylenol? Have you never smoked a joint before? It's been a long time for me but I can tell you they aren't nearly the same.

If Tylentol did the trick, I wouldn't be asking. Can't use NSAIDS (ie, Aleve) unfortunately. I have smoked before...but it's been a long time. It's much stronger stuff than it used to be. I even noticed a big change from the '70's to '80's. I wouldn't smoke it if I wanted to try it for occasional pain relief but would consider consumables if they become legal here. I wouldn't want a high, just pain relief. If it makes you too high to CARE that you're in pain, that's not what I would want for daytime relief .
Opioids are a pain to obtain, addictive of course, and they make me itch all over
(among other undesirable side effects).

Last edited by mgkeith; 10-24-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan