Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 11:59 AM

44 posts, read 46,373 times

Advertisements

We’re supposed to be moving in a few months, and my husband sucks at making decisions. He’s terrified of change, so he’ll do nothing until he has absolutely no other choice, but he hates when I just take over and choose for him. So I think the best thing to do would be to choose 2-3 equally acceptable options and let him make the final decision. So far I like Sterling Heights, Utica, and Troy. Now I’m kind of liking Livonia. Hubby works from home, but will be “in the field” 2-3 days a week. Most of the time, this will be metro Detroit, with occasional Ann Arbor, and once in a while Lansing or Grand Rapids. He has brothers in Macomb, sisters in Howell, and a cousin in royal oak. Our budget is $250k, maybe 265 if it was really perfect. We want at least 3/2 with a basement, at least 8000 sq ft lot, 2 car garage. Obviously safe with low crime, enough diversity that my daughter and her fiancée feel comfortable (they are an interracial couple), and reasonably close to shopping, movies, whatever. Does our budget seem reasonable for what we want? I’ve looked on realtor.com, and I’m finding places, but hard to say without seeing in person. Are there any other areas we should look at? I want to do my research before we get there and he just gets overwhelmed and wants to forget the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
We have a lot of nice suburbs. A lot depends on what you prioritize (schools, safety, location, community, configuration (i.e. small town, suburban sprawl, craft shopping and dining vs big box/chain, etc)

Here are some of the nicer cities in metro Detroit:

Northville
Plymouth
South Lyon
Lyon Township
Grosse Pointe(s) (5 cities)
Troy
Bloomfiled HIlls
Birmingham
West Bloomfield.
Walled Lake
Farmington Hills
Novi
Canton
Grosse Ile
Huron Township
Royal Oak
Ann Arbor
Saline
Chelsea
Brighton
Brighton township.
Rochester
Rochester Hills
Romeo
Beverly Hills
Franklin

Not quite in the top 'burbs, or lacking in some area (like schools, or amenities, or slightly higher crime rates, etc). Still nice enough cities or suburbs that I would live there.
Livonia
Wyandotte
Woodhaven
Riverview
Trenton
Milford
St Clair Shores
Dearborn

There are many more to add, this is just what I happened to think of just now.

Also spectacular in some ways and less than acceptable in others are Downtown and mid-town Detroit.

In your budget all of these places will have somthing that meets your budget and configuration with the exception of Downtown and midtown (expensive and no land), and Birmingham and Bloomfield hills (expensive). Novi and Northville might be a close call. You would have to go smaller in those places.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:47 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,672,957 times
I have some bias on this, but if you want out of Cali, I wouldn't suggest you move to the Cali-patterned suburbs like Sterling Heights or Livonia. One of the best things about Michigan is its unique, older communities that were planned around the days before people had cars. Places like Utica and Troy are nice, don't get me wrong, but they're going to remind you an awful lot of the Inland Empire, but with trees. You'll find a 3/2 house for under 250k there, and that may be the most important thing you're after, but there are places in Metro Detroit with a lot more personality and diversity than they have. You mentioned Royal Oak - that's a very fun area, but probably above 250k for that size at this point. I'm sure it can be found, but not in move-in condition. Some of its neighboring communities like Berkley, Clawson, or Ferndale may still be under 250k - Clawson for sure. I looked for months in Royal Oak before buying a 3/2 house in Berkley - I love it here. The Grosse Pointes are worth consideration at that price range too, but understand their property taxes will be higher, but you'll have incredible city services, like city people who plow your sidewalks every time it snows.

The communities you mention would work and accomplish what you're looking for, but I also suggest before buying a place that you move here and visit a few towns. Go to Somerset Mall in Troy (very California feeling), but also spend a day in Downtown Royal Oak and a day walking along Mack or Lake Shore in Grosse Pointe. If you really prefer that newer suburban sprawl style of suburbia, but still want somewhere with some personality I'd also consider Plymouth or Rochester, though both of those may be above 250k now. I know I had trouble finding decent houses around 220k when I was shopping there in 2016.

Of the four you mention, I'd personally live in Troy over the other ones. Troy is all right, and you can be walking distance from Downtown Clawson plus a 5-10 minute drive from Royal Oak. It also has good access to I-75 which is being completely rebuilt and expanded. It should be done in a couple years. Troy is also rather diverse with significant Asian and Indian populations, and it has really good schools as long as you make sure you're in the Troy District. Sterling Heights has some nice areas and overall you won't go wrong there. It's not my favorite as I don't feel the politics of the area match my preferences and it tends to be just a bit less well off than the other two communities. A lot more working class professionals also make the community more exposed to recessions. Some of the neighborhoods there are in dire need of road repairs. Sterling Heights has a small Middle Eastern minority. Utica is basically the border between Sterling Heights and Shelby Township. It has a handful of stores and a minor league baseball stadium. It's fine, but not some place I'd aspire to, mostly just because I dislike Shelby Township (it was described to me as the "place you move if the only thing you care about is the size of your house"). Livonia is... boring, but it's nice-boring. It's a good place to fall asleep at night. I can't really say anything bad about Livonia other than it being bland, picturesque 1960's suburbia - which admittedly some are into, but on the plus side you're close to Detroit via I-94 and close to Plymouth if you want a swanky coffee shop. Unfortunately Livonia also has a legacy reputation of being a bit racist. It's fairly conservative and white. That may not be appealing based on your preference of some diversity.

Also, when you get here, don't avoid Detroit. I did for the first few months I lived here and that was a mistake. I assumed it was all this burnt out wasteland of death and destruction, but it totally isn't. There are so many amazing cultural and recreational amenities in Detroit. It really is a real city. Check out things like Belle Isle, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Ford Piquette plant, Motown Museum, and things like that. The Henry Ford and Greenfield Village in Dearborn is also amazing. Anyway, good luck with your move.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Priorities are easy access to Detroit, safety/low crime, diversity, and budget. What I hate about California is crowding/traffic, high cost, smog, superficial$$$ attitudes,and hot weather. Also the area we’re in is very religious and conservative, which hasn’t been great. I don’t care if the neighborhood is “cookie cutter”. While I’d like a place with some personality, hubby wants a place with the least amount of work, so a tract home will probably be what we end up with. I absolutely hate big cities (I’m claustrophobic, I just can’t handle the crowding) but I actually don’t mind Detroit. I probably won’t choose to hang out there, but won’t avoid it the way I do LA.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,871,621 times
You might want to check out the city of Farmington, too! Lots of parks, stores within walking distance, events and farmers market, diversity. We have had good luck with the schools. Homes might be more friendly to your budget, too.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM

915 posts, read 1,507,966 times
Yeah, for Northville/Novi, you'd have to go smaller and more towards a fixer-upper.

Honestly, I'd look at Livonia, Canton, Plymouth, Farmington. Especially if work is going to take you to Ann Arbor/Lansing once in awhile. Very easy access to the major freeways to both the metro Detroit area and Ann Arbor and Lansing.

That's also why I like Troy/Utica. It's not so far outside the Metro area (like Romeo) and they are centrally located near freeways that can easily get you most places you want to go.

That was the one issue I had living with the Rochester/Rochester Hills area. Pretty area, but 59 only covers the north part of Oakland, Macomb and Livingston. It takes a bit of driving to get to 75 and 696.

If you LOVE being in your car, then I'd look at South Lyon or Lyon Township. It takes about 20 minutes to get anywhere - outside of downtown South Lyon. And you'll want to get out of town because the movie theater has one screen and not a good selection of food for eating out.....unless you love pizza.....then there are plenty of choices. It's a good place to live, but it's very limited in what it offers (it is a small rural town that's having growing pains right now) and not super close to anything. Quick 5 minute trips to Target don't happen here. (I admit I miss quick 5 minute drives to the store. I miss built up suburbia!)

Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Farmington was a contender, it’s hard to tell from the map how easy freeway access is. I’m good with a fixer, hubby wants move in ready. I believe we’re going to compromise on no major structural stuff, but cosmetic updates like flooring and paint are fine. I hate the idea of paying a premium for someone else’s design choices. I’d rather get a really dated place for less money and gradually make it ours. That ugly 70’s decor that drops the price on an otherwise great place is just what I’m looking for.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Also, why does Livonia have a racist reputation? I didn’t know that, but if it’s true, my black future son in law isn’t going to feel very comfortable there. I would hate for him and my daughter and any future grandkids to feel uncomfortable or not accepted, so we might have to take it off the list.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,433,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeouttacali View Post
Also, why does Livonia have a racist reputation? I didn’t know that, but if it’s true, my black future son in law isn’t going to feel very comfortable there. I would hate for him and my daughter and any future grandkids to feel uncomfortable or not accepted, so we might have to take it off the list.
That is the reason I took it off my list when I moved back. People have told me there are still problems in Livonia. I think you would be best to look at Canton, Plymouth or even Wayne.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,255,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeouttacali View Post
Our budget is $250k, maybe 265 if it was really perfect. We want at least 3/2 with a basement, at least 8000 sq ft lot,
I think you are limiting your pool hugely at 250-265 and 8000 square feet. Many of the suggestions above I think you will find lots are closer to 5500-7500 with an occasional 8000+ in your price range.
If you are willing to accept a smaller lot your odds go up significantly I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan