Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times

Advertisements

My husband, daughter and I are moving to Michigan this summer. His new job is in Southfield. We need some guidance as to where to look to live (and we don't think Southfield is for us). Here are our priorities:
No more than a 15-20 minute commute
Walkable community
Lots of parks
Vibrant downtown area with some culture
Family friendly
Good School system (elementary)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading peoples opinions about the buying vs. renting issue. Renting goes against every grain in my body, but for the areas you suggest could you please also note if you would rent or buy and why. We're planning on being there 3-5 years. We're coming house hunting in the very near future and I would like to have a decision made about renting vs buying when we arrive.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM

695 posts, read 3,412,299 times
The only vibrant downtowns close to Southfield are Royal Oak and Ferndale really.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie479 View Post
My husband, daughter and I are moving to Michigan this summer. His new job is in Southfield. We need some guidance as to where to look to live (and we don't think Southfield is for us). Here are our priorities:
Walkable community
Lots of parks
Family friendly

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading peoples opinions about the buying vs. renting issue. Renting goes against every grain in my body, but for the areas you suggest could you please also note if you would rent or buy and why. We're planning on being there 3-5 years. We're coming house hunting in the very near future and I would like to have a decision made about renting vs buying when we arrive.

Many Thanks

Maybe the current economy changes things, but I always read that if you're not going to live in a home for over 5 years, renting might be the better way to go.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:17 AM

199 posts, read 903,001 times
As far as where to live, I would suggest Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield or Birmingham. Birmingham probably has the best downtown of the three. All have excellent schools. They are all within easy access to every kind of grocery or shopping you could want. They are not inexpensive though. I believe in buying over renting, but with the housing market the way it is, you may not see any appreciation in 3 - 5 years, or very little.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 PM

143 posts, read 460,501 times
Welcome to Michigan ... My vote would be Birmingham. It's the more upscale choice but there are a ton of houses for sale in Birmingham ... with such a supply, you should be able to find a motivated seller and a reasonable price. It would be a 10-15 minute commute depending on where in Southfield. The school system is top notch. Good Luck in your search.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Look around, it really depends on you. You will have to take time to get to know each area. Brimingham has a really nice downtown and good schools. Many people claim it is incredibly snobby and pretentious though. Parts of Bllomfield hills are very nice, some areas are kind of rural. Royal Oak has a neat lively downtown, but may be more urban than what you are looking for, plus not the best schools. Rochester is a bit of a drive, but has great schools and a nice downtown (again some claim it is snobby, here I disagree). Some of the Grosse Pointe cities may be within your range.

There is a small villiage not even idenfied as a seperate place that has outstanding schools and is supposed to be nice. I think it is mostly 1950s homes. I do not remember what is it called. It is either part of or immediately adjoining southfield.

Franklin Villiage is pretty neat, but pricey.

You really need to go to these places look around, try to meet people who live there and some who do nto, check school information on City data. It is tough. You could rent first to make certain that you made the best choice, but who wants to move their kids more than once? However if you rent for a year, you may avoid losing money on your house.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 AM

695 posts, read 3,412,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is a small villiage not even idenfied as a seperate place that has outstanding schools and is supposed to be nice. I think it is mostly 1950s homes. I do not remember what is it called. It is either part of or immediately adjoining southfield.
Lathrup Village?

Lathrup to me has always been a lot like Southfield. Take that as you please.

Or do you mean Beverly Hills? That is a pretty nice place, pretty small though. Might have a hard time finding a house that you like.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 51,387 times
Birmingham! Great area!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM

9 posts, read 36,690 times
We came to Birmingham 2 years ago on a 5 year contract ( we live on the Southfield Road end so only 10-15 mins to Southfield) and we opted to rent rather than buy because the housing market appeared so volitile.

So we found a great family home with lots of space, heaps of character and no taxes to pay!
( Birmingham's are VERY high)

Two years on and I'm glad we made that choice as my husbands company is about to be relocated this summer, so we would have had a house on our hands to sell in a very difficult market.
I have loved my time in Birmingham, it is a wonderful city to live in and if you are only going to be here for a few years I would totally recommend it.
It has a fabulous downtown, great restaurants, very good library and wonderful parks. It comes alive in the summer with art festivals and concerts in the parks and it has a great farmers market.
We can walk to everywhere in Birmingham from our house - everything is about 10-15mins walk and you will find that with most of the housing areas in Birmingham.
It also has some of the best schools in the country.
Well worth considering.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,771,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie479 View Post
Walkable community
Lots of parks
Family friendly

Many Thanks
I would recommend Ann Arbor to met ALL those requirements, but brace yourselves for really steep home prices that you won't be able to bargain down. To get lower prices but a trade-off in the sense of a downtown that could be described as "Siberian" rather than "vibrant," try Livingston County -- Brighton, Howell, Pinckney, South Lyon, Milford. All about half an hour or less from Southfield and the bright lights of Washtenaw and Oakland counties. Asking prices for homes are high but you can easily haggle them down to 2/3 of what the place is worth. Or call the banks and ask to see their repo lists. Thye are long and currently include many elegant homes going for a song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan