Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 PM

34 posts, read 156,145 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid what you're looking for may not exist to the degree you're looking for. If you're driving in and out of Troy every day, you better get used to traffic. I know, I did it for ten years from both Royal Oak and Shelby Twp. Driving to Troy from Romeo and back every day will make your husband want to blow his brains out after about two days. When I lived in Shelby Twp., it would take me up to an hour everyday to go 12 miles to get home and Romeo is farther north. You mentioned Plymouth. Good schools for sure but would be a horrible commute. I second the vote for Rochester. It does have a small town feel to some degree, good schools, shopping, etc. but at rush hour, the traffic is terrible. I hate to say it but I don't think you're going to find anything that satisfies your every want and you're not going to get away from the traffic issue no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM

695 posts, read 3,413,224 times
True statement. ^

My mom commutes Troy to Dearborn Heights every day. The time on Google Maps is 42 minutes, but coming home takes between an hour and 15 minutes and an hour and a half. One day in snow it took over 2 hours.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

850 posts, read 1,900,659 times
I would suggest Clarkston or Ortonville......

Clarkston is right off I-75, your husband would be on the highway most of the drive, because Troy is off I-75 too. There is no way to avoid rush hour if you work in Troy.....unless you live right next to work. Clarkston is North of Troy and has somewhat of a small town feel, decent schools and less congestion overall. It would probably take your hubby about 1/2 hour to get to and from Troy. Its also close to parks, Great Lakes Crossing (big mall), and DTE Energy Theatre.

Ortonville is even more small town than Clarkston. I grew up there and its gotten a little more built up from back then, but still small. Its about 10 minutes north of Clarkston, and probably a 40 minute commute to Troy.

OR......I guess maybe Oxford or Lake Orion. But then your husband would have to take two highways to get to work (M-24 & I-75), and M-24 can get congested. Especially if there are events at the Palace (arena). Both decent towns as well, although Lake Orion is probably more wealthy and more popular (has good schools too).

I'd personally pick Clarkston if I were you....its a good compromise of everything you are looking for imo. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM

695 posts, read 3,413,224 times
Historic homes as Kimmy wants are somewhat limited in Clarkston and Ortonville for that matter. The actually old parts of town are relatively small because of how small the cities are. My aunt lives outside Ortonville and works in Flint. She used to live in Grand Blanc and hateddddd it. But she was very used to the bigger city thing. I think she lived in Owosso as well.

But I very much agree.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 36,092 times
Smile to all replies!!

ok so is ortonville nice i saw pics looks kinda cute to me and homes the older style i like were reasonable saw a victorian looking farmhouse for under 100,000 was amazed of course i would renovate etc are the schools there good?? and then there was holly ?? what about that????thanks everyone i appreciate it!!! ÜÜ

Old 04-01-2008, 08:13 PM

850 posts, read 1,900,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyLynn View Post
ok so is ortonville nice i saw pics looks kinda cute to me and homes the older style i like were reasonable saw a victorian looking farmhouse for under 100,000 was amazed of course i would renovate etc are the schools there good?? and then there was holly ?? what about that????thanks everyone i appreciate it!!! ÜÜ
i grew up in ortonville....so i might be biased:} also lived in clarkston for years...
anyhoo, ortonville is nice....small town for sure. not too many people frequent the shops in the 'village' but the town is good for walking through. in ortonville most people live in the country, although there are a bunch of new subdivisions that have cropped up over the past decade. if you like a country setting you have alot to choose from, if you want to live in town there are a few older houses. clarkston has more of a variety of houses in town, and will cost alot more than ortonville.

ortonville schools are good, clarkston schools are probably slightly better (wealthier community). either school would probably meet your requirements. i honestly don't know of any 'bad' schools in that area....but i would say that holly wouldn't be my first choice to live or go to school. hope that helps but like i said i might be biased:}

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM

168 posts, read 841,753 times
Agreed.

I live in Ortonville, and love it (although we are moving to Va due to family needs). Clarkston is quite nice, but has more traffic....Ortonville is quite small, and has a somewhat small historic district. School system is the Brandon School District. Top rated.
You are only 5-6 miles from I-75.

Btw - My wife works in Troy. It takes her 35-40 minutes in the morning leaving around 8am. And around 45min in the evening.
All the traffic heading North from Troy on I-75 is from Troy through Pontiac. Once passed that area, you are flying.

Definately give Clarkston/Ortonville a look.
And if you decide you would rather live in a secluded rustic contemporary with acres and acres of woods around you, then PM me...I have one for sale ;-) (shameless plug)

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM

199 posts, read 903,238 times
I would suggest Clarkston. It has a small town feel with a quaint downtown. Every year they have several festivals including the taste of Clarkston. You don't have to live within the village of Clarkston, it is more expensive and higher taxes. We're in Independence Twp., which still has a Clarkston mailing address. Lower taxes. Beautiful homes with great schools. Easy access to I-75 and I can get to Troy in 20 minutes in rush hour. Coming home may take 30 if there is a basketball game or something at the Palace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan