Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I watched the first episode and Flint is actually worse than I thought. At the meeting in North Flint the elderly lady says there are shootings back and forth all night. The police are understaffed and can't respond to many calls, a man who got robbed and assaulted got a visit from the police the next day. At the end a teenager got shot and killed in the drive-way. Pretty disturbing stuff.
Yes, but those things, except for the police arrival time, can be found in most cities. Whether the police arrive 2 minutes after or two days after, they could not have prevented the crime from happening in the first place. Policing can only have a real impact on crime if there is like 1 police officer for every 100 people and or if the police usurp the civil liberties of citizens. In other words, treat everyone in high crime communities as if they are criminals by assuming they are guilty of something until proven innocent by searches and random stops. That would be worse than living with the crime, however, and breed even more hatred and contempt for police which would ultimately result in civil unrest and rioting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM

513 posts, read 499,936 times
Quote:
I watched the first episode and Flint is actually worse than I thought. At the meeting in North Flint the elderly lady says there are shootings back and forth all night. The police are understaffed and can't respond to many calls, a man who got robbed and assaulted got a visit from the police the next day. At the end a teenager got shot and killed in the drive-way. Pretty disturbing stuff.
Not to understate the problems Flint faces, but you know a TV drama isn't a documentary. So I wouldn't entirely base Flint on a TV show. That said, a good friend lives in the nice part of Flint and even there the gas stations have thick bullet proof glass and it is shady once you get to the main street.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Not to understate the problems Flint faces, but you know a TV drama isn't a documentary. So I wouldn't entirely base Flint on a TV show. That said, a good friend lives in the nice part of Flint and even there the gas stations have thick bullet proof glass and it is shady once you get to the main street.
It is a documentary. All the events shown are real life....no actors. The documentary is just presented as a series.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
My wife and I have watched the first two episodes and we thought they were very good. My wife lived in Michigan the first thirty years of her life and I also lived there for many years, although we never lived in Flint. Still, if you're familiar with Michael Moore's work, like Roger and Me, you know that things have gotten very bad in Flint since the loss of all the automotive industry jobs.

As a point of comparison, Burlington, Vermont, a college town of about 40,000 and containing some poverty and some really affluent areas, has a police department about the same size as that of Flint, which has more than double the population and a lot more socio-economic problems.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:46 AM

513 posts, read 499,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It is a documentary. All the events shown are real life....no actors. The documentary is just presented as a series.
I stand corrected, sorry!

Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times
What the series does not explain so far is how it got so bad in the first place. It is mentioned a GM factory closed down but things like that happened to many rust-belt cities which are in a much better condition than Flint today. In the meeting in the north side of Flint someone mentions shootings back and forth all night. Who is doing the shooting? Why and what are they shooting at? What makes them tick? I have my suspicions but this is what I would like to see explained. Perhaps letting people on the streets anonymously give some explanation about what is going on. So far it has mostly been the police and some politicians talking which does not give the whole picture.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:03 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
I've heard it's really good. Been meaning to check it out.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
What the series does not explain so far is how it got so bad in the first place. It is mentioned a GM factory closed down but things like that happened to many rust-belt cities which are in a much better condition than Flint today. In the meeting in the north side of Flint someone mentions shootings back and forth all night. Who is doing the shooting? Why and what are they shooting at? What makes them tick? I have my suspicions but this is what I would like to see explained. Perhaps letting people on the streets anonymously give some explanation about what is going on. So far it has mostly been the police and some politicians talking which does not give the whole picture.
I don't think it is the shootings, because many cities also have shootings and crime....but population and economic growth. Atlanta is one such place. The city of Chicago is grew in population last year....and they have been dealing with crime issues for a while.

The thing about Flint is that it is a standalone city and metro area than really only had GM as the draw. People are not going to move to Flint because of the warm weather or the mountains or recreational opportunities in the area or the great institutions of higher learning. The loss of GM and the degree in which the city grew from and depended on GM.....was definitely the catalyst. Detroit as a city/region.....is to big to fail. Yes, the city declined and took a hard tumble down but it has so much infrastructure and institutions and other things for it to bounce back. Flint has none of those things. Flint's best hope is its proximity to Oakland county.

The shootings likely are the result of drugs and money.....like most every other city. People trying to find opportunities/monies through narcotic trafficking, like people did during the prohibition era with bootleg. That led to crime and violence then and now.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 03-16-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-17-2018, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,199 times
Yes, Flint is a real S-hole "country", or city in this case. The Flint Council and other people running Flint aren't really interested in doing anything to help bring the City back either.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity-99 View Post
Yes, Flint is a real S-hole "country", or city in this case. The Flint Council and other people running Flint aren't really interested in doing anything to help bring the City back either.
Thanks to S-Hole corporations and their boards creating disposable cities. Gives us some great ideals, and how to fund them, that the city council could or should be doing to bring the city back. Maybe they should have tried what Grand Rapids tried when attempting to woo Amazon. Scrap together a 2 billion dollar give away to corporate interest......but in this case paid for by the poorest citizens in the nation. I mean, that is what the council should be doing right? They should be creating new opportunities like Amazon, Oracle, Facebook, Google moving to the city. The fact that they are not wooing these corporations is PROOF that they don't care about the city. If they wooed businesses, they would come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan